Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ASIM-CDFS help please!  (Read 4840 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Re: ASIM-CDFS help please!
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 03, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
was wondering if anyone has a good link to the instruction manual, as i am having an intermittent hangup on boot sometimes with AsimCDFS.

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 02:12:28 AM »
What is the latest version if ASIM CDFS? I think I have 3.7 but haven't used my A4000 for a few years. Was waiting for the new Indivision so I gan get rid of the useless Microway Flickerfixer.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
I NEVER got a compact flash adaptor and a CD drive to work on the internal A4000 IDE. Its the compact flash devices fault, they usually don't support master-slave configs EVEN though they have master/slave pins on them.  On the A4000 anyway, don't know about PC.

AsimCDFS is a GREAT piece of software, the only one that has worked with EVERY cd drive and interface I've thrown at it over the years EXCEP on a compact flash device.  But neither did IDE-Fix, or FastaATA software.  NOTHING i tried could stop the A4000 from hanging with a compact flash and cd rom on the same cable.

Use the novice option in the installer, and use a hard drive.  Sorry.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:09 AM »
@save2600
    I have never had this much trouble with Asimware CDFS. BUT, it doesn't support everything out there. You should check the Asim disk you have to see if it supports the hardware you are using. You may need a newer version (V3.10 was the last one).
I have the manual here somewhere(!). If I can find it, I'll scan it. Maybe that will help you out.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 04:36:52 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;612331
@save2600
    I have never had this much trouble with Asimware CDFS. BUT, it doesn't support everything out there. You should check the Asim disk you have to see if it supports the hardware you are using. You may need a newer version (V3.10 was the last one).
I have the manual here somewhere(!). If I can find it, I'll scan it. Maybe that will help you out.
Thanks buddy, but I'm good. I've got a couple of different retail versions, at least one manual and the latest version I think I have is 3.7. Using OS3.1, 3.5 and 3.9: AsimCDFS is simply not needed for most all of the hardware I've ever thrown in my systems over the last 16 years. I might give it a try again if I ever get a Nakamichi 7 disc changer though. :lol:

OR did you mean for the CDTV or CD32 emulation? No longer have an AGA Miggy and don't really care about CDTV software. Have people had good luck emulating those machines with AsimCDFS? It's something I tried delving into when I had an A1200, but could never get it to work correctly or consistently.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 04:49:36 AM »
Hi,

@save2600,

I don't know why you are having such a problem, I just bought a USB CD and plugged it into my A500.

Works Great.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:30 AM »
Hi,

@save2600,

I have been working on using a CF drive and CD on my Amiga 1200 for about 6 months now. Some of the things I have found out.

1. CD drive works great with nothing else hooked up.
2. Can hook up IDE HD and CD with special ide cable.
3. When I install CD and CF doesn't work, won't boot.
4. Tried idefix97 sees cd and then crashes, reboots and crashes.
5. bought buffered 4 way ide cable from amigakit, same results, boots up sees cd and crashes. With ide hd boots up.
6. Tried putting CF on one Master, and tried putting CD on 2nd master boots up intermittently and actually loads a CD sometimes.
7. Tried out of desperation by unpluggin ATX power supply from Amiga motherboard, and using just drive power from ATX supply, plugged old Commodore power supply into motherboard. Amiga 1200 boots everytime and see CD  and CF and works perfectly.

Why?

No answer, it is an old 250 watt ATX power supply. Someday will get up in attic and get larger PC power supply.

Options

Use USB drive and CF works great with winUAE.

I have been working on trying to get a CF and CD to work on the A1200 for about 6 months now, this A1200 also has a blizzard ppc card in it, and is mounted in a home made tower. As of yet I have no answers except that a CF card won't work with a CD for some unknown reason. I think it may be a power thing since by using the Commodore power supply to power the board, and a PC supply to power the drives seems to work all the time, but I really don't want a brick and a pc supply. IDEfix97 does work, but with the demo copy you get the nagger free of charge. Sure wish the person who wrote the program would release the code so we could get past the registration nag, or at least set up a site to send the money to so you could get your license code. The nagger is driving me crazy. On a A500 I really don't know, since using an ide takes a lot of cpu power to run. I really don't think a 68000 chip could handle the load but I really don't know since I have never tried.

Wish I could give you some good info but 6 months on a 68040 40mhz and a 250 mhz ppc and still driving me crazy

and if all else fails just buy a USB CD and plug it into your USB port on your A500.

smerf
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:24:37 AM by smerf »
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better