Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon vs. IcAros  (Read 2932 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

Amithlon vs. IcAros
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »
Hi everyone, i need some advice, i made up my mind, i want a new Amiga/Amiga clone/AmigaOSlike setup, i dont want to start a flamewar! After dealing with the fact that a Sam with OS4 is too expensive, an efika with Morphos registered too, i have decided to go either the Amithlon or IcAros route.
I have both CDs/DVDs with their latest incarnations. Which one should i choose?
I think IcAros rocks but Amithlon has WarpOS support. So which one boots faster? Which one performs faster? Need your opinions and advice. I dont care that both of them are picky on the hardware and the fact that Amithlon needs several updates to be applied to have reasonable hw support.

Hope you can help me decide

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: Amithlon vs. IcAros
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;522408

I think IcAros rocks but Amithlon has WarpOS support.

Now that would be an miracle to say the least, since WarpOS is PPC and Amithon only does 68k (and to some extent x86).

Amithlon does run 68k-apps that don't require the chipset, and it does at speed unrivaled by anything on the same HW. Problem is it has been pulled from the market in 2002 and support for never HW dried up some time later.

AROS only runs x86 and the number of AROS-apps is limited. 68k-SW does run in a somewhat intregrated UAE but it's also slower/less developed than WinUAE.

Honestly, cut down WinXP and run WinUAE just as if AmigaOS was the  only OS running.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:37:50 AM »
The thing is that i dislike Windows, i dont want to wait 30 secs to get windows booted and 10 more for an AmigaOS/WINUAE enviroment, and have to put up with windows propaganda while at it! Anyway thanks for your reply!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:57:25 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;522411
The thing is that i dislike Windows, i dont want to wait 30 secs to get windows booted and 10 more for an AmigaOS/WINUAE enviroment, and have to put up with windows propaganda while at it! Anyway thanks for your reply!

If you don't want to go the WinUAE route... then Icaros it is :)

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:11:28 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;522411

Hmmm, so you, like me, see the value of a fast booting OS.  The consensus of opinion by the intelligentsia here is that a fast boot is unnecessary, as you can juts leave your PC in standby indefinately, never ever turning it off.  Despite this its odd how often someone comes along and thinks a fast boot is A Good Thing.

Back on topic which you choose will ultimately depend on if you have Amithlon-compatible HW and what SW you want to run.  Amithlon runs 68k apps that are RTG only-so no games or demos, at an insane speed.
AROS runs 68 k software under emulation, and a limited range of x86 software.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:18:20 AM »
How does IcAros perform using UAE compared to Amithlon using UAE? I guess it comes down to this, since i enjoy and mostly be using using 68k applications.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:09:01 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;522417
How does IcAros perform using UAE compared to Amithlon using UAE?
Amithlon is faster, mainly because you can use OS friendly apps directly without UAE. If you run UAE, both are pretty much identical (assuming there's UAE build which uses the x86 code under Amithlon, I have no clue if it does).

If you're only going to use UAE then you shouldn't bother with neither. Neither have UAE as good as WinUAE. Seriously, you should try suspending the windows box rather than powering it down. ;-)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:32:21 AM by Piru »

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
IcAROS is a living breathing Amiga OS, that is continually worked on and updated.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:59:15 PM by cicero790 »
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline kzin

• Show only replies by kzin
    • http://202.78.156.93
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:11 AM »
The 68k UAE works OK under amithilon, but you realy only need it for games. Most other apps can be retargeted with "Newmode" if they needit. I had amithilon running on a Athlon XP 1800+ it was like having a 2GHz 040, But I nolonger use it as the Hardware I wanted was not compatable, almost no ATI support and forget many of the SATA controlers, limit of 1GB mem max, seems to me that the best hardware was in the Athlon XP range. it just wont boot on my dual Opteron setup.

But On the correct hardware you wont look back.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:33:39 AM by kzin »

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »
You could always get Amiga forever and use the cut down Linux kernal boot method.
This way you wont need windows and it boots right into workbench.

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-129

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;522413
Hmmm, so you, like me, see the value of a fast booting OS.  The consensus of opinion by the intelligentsia here is that a fast boot is unnecessary, as you can juts leave your PC in standby indefinately, never ever turning it off.  Despite this its odd how often someone comes along and thinks a fast boot is A Good Thing.

Standby is fine for desktops but when it comes to laptops, I'd much rather power down to save my battery.  Coincidentally, using a laptop is precisely the time when fast boot time is desirable.  When you only have a 15min coffee break, a 30sec boot time is 29sec too long. :D

I used to use Amithlon on my laptop all the time.  Unfortunately I've got a newer laptop and Amithlon doesn't really work on it.  :(  I sure wish Amithlon had never died. Personally I think Amiga Inc should have snatched up Amithlon and used it as a migratory path to AmigaOS 4.0 for x86 instead of going the PPC route.  But that's just my opinion and I hope this thread doesn't degrade into some "PPC vs x86" flamewar just because I stated my opinion.
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Get a Mac Mini G4 and run MorphOS this year :-)

If you are interested on Amithlon you could get an old peecee from the trashcan.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 03:26:16 PM »
Quote from: mpiva;522456
Standby is fine for desktops but when it comes to laptops, I'd much rather power down to save my battery. Coincidentally, using a laptop is precisely the time when fast boot time is desirable. When you only have a 15min coffee break, a 30sec boot time is 29sec too long. :D

I used to use Amithlon on my laptop all the time. Unfortunately I've got a newer laptop and Amithlon doesn't really work on it. :( I sure wish Amithlon had never died. Personally I think Amiga Inc should have snatched up Amithlon and used it as a migratory path to AmigaOS 4.0 for x86 instead of going the PPC route. But that's just my opinion and I hope this thread doesn't degrade into some "PPC vs x86" flamewar just because I stated my opinion.

As long as lapop lugged in to power suppply where is the problem
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:31:59 PM »

Standby is fine, personally I prefer hibernate (zero power state).

And there are any number of cut down linux systems that boot extremely fast if that's what gets you going. Personally I prefer a more rounded system such as Elive.

And yes, a fast boot is unnecessary when you have options such as suspend and hibernate at your disposal. Why should I waste my time booting up from cold when I can come out of hibernation and have the added bonus of all my applications being just where I left them?

Back on topic which you choose will ultimately depend on if you have Amithlon-compatible HW and what SW you want to run.  Amithlon runs 68k apps that are RTG only-so no games or demos, at an insane speed.
AROS runs 68 k software under emulation, and a limited range of x86 software.

Games that support re-targeting should work just fine, how many of those there are however is an interesting question.

Tbh I think XP having had BartPE run over it would be fine - the end result would be an extremely cut down windows system that would still allow the use of WinUAE. Or, if you absolutely must have something other then windows, a cut down linux operating as a launch platform for UAE would do much the same.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]