Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which version of OSX to use?  (Read 3488 times)

Description:

Offline TenaciousTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tenacious
Re: Which version of OSX to use?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 15, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
Hi Gabe

Do you take long vacations?  I only seem to run across you every few months.  Grin

Your new Mac CAN act as fast as you think, right?  (No machine is that fast, grin.)  An Intel duo?

On an unrelated topic (I own the thread), did you ever buy that other MasPlayer-like devise?  Did it work?

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 02:12:57 PM »

Tenacious wrote:
Hi Gabe

Do you take long vacations?  I only seem to run across you every few months.  Grin

Your new Mac CAN act as fast as you think, right?  (No machine is that fast, grin.)  An Intel duo?

On an unrelated topic (I own the thread), did you ever buy that other MasPlayer-like devise?  Did it work?

Say what?? :-(
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline TenaciousTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
Sorry DiskDoctor, grin, that was for lierbag28. LOL!

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 04:02:04 PM »
Thanks da9000, lots of good info there.

About the ram thing though and my observations. I wouldn't dream of complaining going from one computer to the other with different OS's. My observations are based on the same configuration. Just going from 10.4 to 10.5. My 2.1ghz iMac has 2.5gb of ram, so ram should not be an issue. That's plenty for what I use my machine for. And I'm not "spotlighting" while working either. lol  Tinkertool and I are old friends to be sure. What a great program. I'll have to look at those other recommendations of yours soon though.

Oh, one last point. I make the comment that PeeCee HD's fail more often than one used in a Mac because that has been my experience over the course of 25+ years. Yes, they may share the same technology now, but when you consider how the Mac's file system is so much different than the typical PeeCee's file system, I feel that comment IS more than substantiated. One only has to look at ScanDisk & defragging to understand Winblows is throwing data illogically all over the platter. That's a lot more wear and tear going on the entire mech of the HD compared to how the Mac reads/writes. Less wear and tear = reliability and fewer HD related problems. Again, in my experience.

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »

Tenacious wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of info. Thanx. I'll check the videos when I log in with the laptop.

You're welcome. I hope they're as enlightening and entertaining to you as they were to me :-)

Tenacious wrote:
I was not trying to insult Apple's latest efforts, nor do I

Totally understand and even if you were, it's your right :-), although to someone else it might seem like lack of knowing certain things, if you know what I mean.

Tenacious wrote:
feel that progress should slow to a more human pace (well, most times I do, grin).  I simply want to match the OS to a good hardware deal (a 1.8GHz G5) and other stuff I've

I hear ya. Believe me, even though I work with some very high tech stuff day to day, and all very fast-paced (I can't explain well, but if I told you, you'd flip - think of someone who's into making cars and works on a new car almost every other day or at least once a week - that's fast paced) many times I too want things to slow down to a more human pace. All over the board. I mean, forget the Mac, even the Amiga has so many features in its OS and the 3rd party software that are available for it, that I just never have time to play with them all. However, the problem is that in a capitalistic industry, if you slow down, you'll be eaten alive soon after. So they have to push.

Tenacious wrote:
rescued.  I will never embrace Apple tech/philosophy as my main vehicle, this machine will simply be a compatability

I suggest you watch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Say_Never_Again ;-)

On a more serious note, although I don't think today's Macs (as I've written in a previous post) or Apple are directly comparable with Amigas and Commodore, I do think that Apple has got the "Amiga bug", as I call it, which is to try to bring high-tech to larger number of people, but not only hardware tech, but also software tech: user experience is very very important and at the core of their products, much like for Jay Miner and crew, a very powerful and yet affordable, multitasking, easy to use computer was at the core of their vision. The deviation, again in my opinion, appears to be that Apple is much more "learned" in the industrial design and arts sector and so the polish on their products allow them to charge more for them. However, again as I've written in the past, you do get what you pay for, and if you think you can compare a PC with a Mac on price alone, I think you've completely missed what's "under your nose". There's a lot more put into a Mac than visible at a glance. You really need to use it for a while to realize.

Tenacious wrote:
fill-in for me.  And it's cheap and obsolete.  My computing passion is for Amiga technology.  Sad in some eyes, but true.

Happy Easter.

I wouldn't call it sad. It's a dilemma I have for myself. I don't know if I should call myself a fool when I look in the mirror and realize how enamoured I still am with these wonderful, however very antiquated machines, or feel warm and fuzzy because they remind me of the good old days, remind me of great memories and of hopes and dreams of the grandest grandeur (can I double up on the grand?). At some point I have to also accept the future that is now and not lie to myself all the time. In the end though, I really don't find it necessary to negate one to have the other. I accept that the Amigas were the most absolutely amazing *home* computers of the 80s and early 90s and even today they can give serious competition in some areas, especially in the "limited resources" arena, however being 2009 right now, I concede that the better platform for doing day to day stuff or "modern" stuff is not an Amiga, but my trusty Macs. I'm happy with both and if the Amiga was to come back, depending on what it had on its agenda (VERY important, and it's what distinguishes a fanatic from an educated fan), I would jump right on it!

Cheers and Happy Easter to all!

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 08:23:21 AM »

save2600 wrote:
Thanks da9000, lots of good info there.

You're welcome! Glad I could provide it.

save2600 wrote:
About the ram thing though and my observations. I wouldn't dream of complaining going from one computer to the other with different OS's. My observations are based on the same configuration. Just going from 10.4 to 10.5. My 2.1ghz iMac has 2.5gb of ram, so ram should not be an issue. That's plenty for what I use my machine for. And I'm not "spotlighting" while working either. lol  Tinkertool and I are old friends to be sure. What a great program. I'll have to look at those other recommendations of yours soon though.

Right. I meant in general. More specifically I meant people who complain when going from a 10.3.9 based PowerMac G4 @ 933Mhz with 512MB to 10.4 or 10.5. All I can think of is: "well, duh". 10.5 was never intended for those machines. In fact Apple forces you to upgrade by checking the minimum speed of the machine. If it's under 887Mhz (I think), it won't install. (of course the installer is simply using JavaScript, which means you can copy the installation DVD into a disk image that's writable, modify the JS by removing the check, and burn a new disk or blast it onto a hard drive partition and install from there - hint, hint)

Anyhow, that's what I meant. However, as I pointed out before, I do agree with your general observation: 10.5 seems slower on older (and usually non-Intel) hardware.

save2600 wrote:
Oh, one last point. I make the comment that PeeCee HD's fail more often than one used in a Mac because that has been my experience over the course of 25+ years. Yes, they may share the same technology now, but when you consider how the Mac's file system is so much different than the typical PeeCee's file system, I feel that comment IS more than substantiated. One only has to look at ScanDisk & defragging to understand Winblows is throwing data illogically all over the platter. That's a lot more wear and tear going on the entire mech of the HD compared to how the Mac reads/writes. Less wear and tear = reliability and fewer HD related problems. Again, in my experience.

I see what you mean. I think it's a valid point and very plausible even though I also don't have data. The reason I think it's plausible is from my experience too, but I would not necessarily blame just the filesystem. I mean FAT is crap, for sure, but the entire OS is a culprit. Very simple explanation: if an OS doesn't have a caching mechanism or simply bad caching, it will cause a lot more disk reading (and of course also lower performance). This will make the drive do more work, as you say. That will, theoretically (i don't have evidence) increase wear and tear. From my experience Windows has been typically really bad at disk IO. One of the worse parts of XP was how swap-happy it is. Even though you might have oodles of RAM, it will prefer to page out data/code before getting close to the RAM high watermark. It's always "on disk" as we say in operating system talk.

To take it one more step further, even bad architectural implementations at the core OS level will cause bad disk access patterns. For example, many modern OSs like Linux and Mac OS X feature a unified buffer cache (http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/unix/UnifiedBufferCache). (Not sure if Windows does have one today and if so which was the first that had it. My *guess* is that Vista might, Windows 7 must, and XP probably didn't) Meaning that all IO, including disk, but also VM and mmapped accesses go through a single cache. This utilizes memory much much better (since there are no duplicate pages all over RAM) and therefore better caching, less swapping!

So in general, now that I understood what you meant, I agree based on my experience, but without having empiric proof. I would love to have empiric proof though, so if anyone knows of any research in the field...

Here are a couple of studies that are related and very interesting, albeit very long and involved:
labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf
http://www.techpowerup.com/?25708
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/02/21/004233.shtml
More here stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive

OK, so since we're in the deep side of things by now, I suggest reading the following. There are some very good explanations as to OS X's performance. As always, it comes down to choices. What's more important? Powerful programming interfaces and interoperability or stupidly fast performance, yet braindead APIs and hard to program interfaces?

Search for "Some parts of OS X are much slower than others." in the following, and read the first couple of replies to that. But be forewarned, it's quite geeky :-)
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/23/1717259

Cheers

Offline StormLord

• Show only replies by StormLord
    • http://www.amimac.gr
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
As an apple tech for many (10+) years I would like to point some facts:

all apple OSes from 10.0 till 10.4.11 were more faster and more responsive in every newer update, 10.4.11 is the fastest OSX that currently exists.
The introduction of 10.5 was the worst product apple ever brought to market, because of MANY bugs and it felt like an elephant rather than a leopard.
with every update on the 10.5 it became better all the time but it was realy useful after 10.5.2 on intels and after 10.5.3 on PPC machines.
Currently on 10.5.6 the OS is ALMOST as stable as 10.4.11 but not as fast.
I belive the nature of Universal binaries of the OS will never let it be as fast as 10.4.x. 10.4.x came in 2 distributions and updates, different for intel and PPCs.
But feature wise (and Future wise) 10.5 is in advantage, most of newer apps requires it, and some features like spaces bring the OS to another usability and friendliness level. For slow machines <=800Mhz without core image graphics supported 10.4 is the best OS. for all other machines better get 10.5 that also in some actions is faster than 10.4 because of the use of core image graphics cards.

As it comes for hard drives......
both mac and PCs use the same hardware..
but till early G4s, apple used a custom firmware that it had enabled an option in every hard drives firmware about reliability, all HDs that was sold on the PC market had that option disabled. AFAIR that option made hard disk slower but more reliable.

Offline lofstudio

• Show only replies by lofstudio
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
@save2600:

You can download the Mac OS ROM Update from Apple's support site, or if you have a Mac capable of booting into OS 8.6-9.04, you can look in the system folder and use the "Mac OS ROM" file.
A3000: 2mb chip, 8mb fast; Buddha Flash Phoenix; some cheapo CD-ROM; OS 3.1 + lots of Macs

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
I've been testing the betas of Snow Leopard and I gotta say that it seems to have the features that I like in Leopard without a good many of the bugs.  Watch for it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

persia wrote:
I've been testing the betas of Snow Leopard and I gotta say that it seems to have the features that I like in Leopard without a good many of the bugs.  Watch for it!

And Snow Leopard is Intel only which is absolutely no help for the OP.  :rtfm:
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline trilobyte

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »

lofstudio wrote:

Save2600-- have you tried SheepShaver for classic emulation?

Multiple times I have tried running SheepShaver on my Intel Mac at work.  It just crashes and crashes.  I have plenty of experience with ShapeShifter and Fusion on the Amiga, as well as with actual 68k and PPC Mac hardware, so I'm pretty sure the instability of these two apps is just the fault of the apps themselves.  One of them I got to "chime" but it would crash when I asked it to boot from CD.

There is very little reason to run SheepShaver or Basilisk II on a PowerPC Mac.  Just run 10.4 and use Classic mode.  If you need 10.5, partition your drive and have 10.5 on one partition and 10.4 on the other.  If you need to run Classic, be under 10.4.  If you have some piece of software which requires 10.5, boot into 10.5.  

My guess is you'll be running under 10.4 more often... 10.5 is still kind of buggy and does indeed "feel" a little pokier on PowerPC hardware...

The only reason you'd want to run the emulators is if you have some software which won't run in Classic because it is too old, like some software which has been broken since System 7 came out, or since the PowerPC transition.  If that is really a sticking point with you, eBay an SE/30 or something.

- t
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline trilobyte

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »

StormLord wrote:

all apple OSes from 10.0 till 10.4.11 were more faster and more responsive in every newer update, 10.4.11 is the fastest OSX that currently exists.
The introduction of 10.5 was the worst product apple ever brought to market, because of MANY bugs and it felt like an elephant rather than a leopard.

Agree 100%...

One small example:  on this 400 MHz Pismo, I thought 10.3.9 would be the fastest... since this Pismo has a slow G3, and old graphics... but actually 10.4.11 is faster!  I have since wiped 10.3.9 off the computer...

-t
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes