Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any Linux Fans Here?  (Read 3896 times)

Description:

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
Re: Any Linux Fans Here?
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 28, 2007, 08:02:28 PM »

Tomas wrote:

Colani1200 wrote:

Piru wrote:
RPM Hell

You normally don't use RPM directly. There are frontends like yum or up2date. (Like apt-get for dpkg).

Still works much less better than apt on lets say debian or ubuntu. And yes, i have tried redhat recently.

dpkg and rpm have similar functionality.
yum, smart, apt-* also have similar functionality.
The problem is that there exists different distributions that use rpm with incompatible structure causing RPM Hell when mixing them. For .deb files luckily there is at the moment only one reference and that is Debian.
I myself have also been in 'DEB Hell' when I tried to upgrade a Storm Linux installation to debian a few years ago. ATM I'm also having serious problems on my AmigaOne with debian after switching packages back and forth a few times between stable and testing.
At the moment I'm using Centos4 on my x86 PC with the smart package manager and ATRpms and a few other rpm repositories without any notice of 'RPM Hell'. I'm also using a remote virtual machine with debian installation without much problems.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »
So now that we have discussed that... anyone here willing to give a lecture on MUI class hell?  :lol:

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 01:44:53 AM »
I have been using red hat for a few years and by now the kernel is a bit old - although it does much of what i need.

I've been thinking about ubuntu - especially as now my brother wants me to make one of his older laptops into a multiboot system with linux and Windows. He will be using this while traveling to get his mail and go on the web.

I've heard ubuntu is easier to install and I'm hoping that's the case.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2007, 02:33:36 AM »
I bought DSL linux on a credit card size cd.  I like it alot.  I used Ubuntu.  I ordered a couple of CDs.  One distribution did not let me create a root password.  The second set , a new release did.  I can not say much against Ubuntu.  A university that I went to uses it with Mathematica.
I guess I will have to tough it out with RHEL for a while.  I have RedhatFCore,Mandriva and/or Mandrake,Suse,Slackware,Ubuntu,DSL,Debian(somewhere),Gentoo and an early release of Storm Linux.
I wish I had an IBM RS6000 or similar.  I believe the Firmware is more forgiving than Apple.
I wish I knew more about Linux on IBM.

Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2007, 03:22:21 AM »
I've used a lot of distros over the years ( since around '97) Ive pretty much settled on Ubuntu when I need a desktop, and debian for everything else except for some instances where I'll use netbsd.

Redhat/fedora gets a bad rap a lot of the time, but i wouldn't knock it. A lot of people are very familiar with it, and its good to be familiar with it. Most of the time I find my self doing linux stuff with other people at work, they are used to redhat, so i'll go that route, to make it easier on them. *nix is *nix, theyre all so similar, if you can't float from one unix to another your surely must be anal about something irrelevant.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »

I guess I will have to tough it out with RHEL for a while.

I don't think you will be happy with RHEL as a home user. As the name already implies, it is focussed on business and server use, that means high availability, stability, backported patches and the like. Many packages that are interesting for home users like multimedia stuff, games etc. are not included in the distribution. And don't forget it costs quite a lot of money on a yearly subscription basis (eg. RHEL standard ~ EUR 500 per year).

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »
I had Debian in the past, after having switched to a bigger hard drive I still have to reinstall it. I used, and will use Linux for those application that don't exist/aren't free on Amiga, not to forget MacOnLinux, too. I only wish that a Sarge installer for AmigaOne will be made someday.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Fraccy

• Show only replies by Fraccy
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »
@ Tenacious

There's no proper Amiga 'environment' for Linux, since they work in very different ways. However, you may be thinking of amiwm (Ami Window Manager). A window manager in Linux is precisely that: it manages windows! Amiwm is only designed to give an Amiga look to Linux, nothing else.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
@Varthall
I had Debian in the past, after having switched to a bigger hard drive I still have to reinstall it

Why reinstall?

Linux is pretty much like AmigaOS in this regard, you can partition the new drive, copy over the files on the partitions, and it will work just fine.

Hard Disk Upgrade HOWTO was written in PC perspective, but it's easy to adjust it to other hardware platforms.

Offline Varthall

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »

Piru wrote:
Why reinstall?

The previous hard disk have been fisically moved to my PC and I have put the new hard disk in my A1. I should have more correctly said "I'll have to install it from scratch" :lol:

EDIT: I see now what you meant. Isn't there in Linux any configuration file that contains absolute paths to the partition where the system is installed, like /dev/hdc1, which could create conflicts/problems if the partition position in the new drive is different?

Varthall

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »
@Varthall
Isn't there in Linux any configuration file that contains absolute paths to the partition where the system is installed, like /dev/hdc1, which could create conflicts/problems if the partition position in the new drive is different?

Only one: /etc/fstab
See step 8 in the HOWTO I linked.

(The other potential place is the kernel root= option in the bootloader, but that isn't part of the linux installation strictly speaking)

Offline Varthall

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2007, 02:23:27 PM »

Piru wrote:
@Varthall
Isn't there in Linux any configuration file that contains absolute paths to the partition where the system is installed, like /dev/hdc1, which could create conflicts/problems if the partition position in the new drive is different?

Only one: /etc/fstab
See step 8 in the HOWTO I linked.

Thanks for this very handy tip. I have a backup of my old Linux partition, I'll try to copy it over the new partition then, it will surely save me lots of time.

(The other potential place is the kernel root= option in the bootloader, but that isn't part of the linux installation strictly speaking)

Indeed, on A1 it's stored among the UBoot Linux boot parameters.

Varthall

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »

trekiej wrote:
What are your views of Linux?
Rick.

It's a curiosity for me. I just started playing with Ubuntu 6.10. I'm at the absolute beginning.

Fester

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »

trekiej wrote:
I am getting back into Linux.  I have been reading on RHEL 4.  
What are your views of Linux?
Rick.

My view is that it's another version of the operating system I gladly got away from when the Amiga came out. It is just another incarnation of the Ritchie/Kernigan/Pike 'everything is a file' OS philosophy. I had been using unix before the Amiga came out, on 68K machines even, and getting paid for it; I never thought anyone would spend their own time messing with it.

Then the Amiga came out, and could do most of what the unix machines could, and was actually FUN! Unlike any unix machine I have seen then or now. I still get paid to use unix at work, because it's still not fun, and I still use Amigas at home, because it still is! :)

Offline dfreniche

• Show only replies by dfreniche
    • http://blog.freniche.com
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
I don't think so :-). There IS a standard, HFS.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Here you can find an explanation of every single directory in Linux, its purpose, contents, etc.

Hope you find it useful.
A1200D(Blizzard 68030,32MB,Wifi,IdeFix,CDROM), A1200D(Apollo 68030,8MB),A600,A500
I maintain a site on everything, Amiga too (in Spanish)
Regards to all amiga fans!   :-)

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2007, 11:54:30 PM »
@ dfreniche : Thanks for link

I use Fedora Core for everyday tasks.
I am using RHEL for cert exams.  As for price, RHEL can be downloaded for free or bought with a book.
I did not get a good impression of other distros at the time I installed them.  I am not saying Redhat is better.  It is what I prefer.  
Conclusion:  I just need to learn more about Linux and then check the various distros.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.