Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any C-One users out there?  (Read 976 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
Any C-One users out there?
« on: December 22, 2004, 12:05:30 PM »
It's not really an Amiga, but is most some interesting hardware designed by a most interesting girl: The Commodore One or C-One.  I'd heard about it years ago and thought it was an interesting pursuit, but it wasn't until some recent articles about Jeri that I took another look and got all worked up and ordered one (yesterday).

Wanted to see if there's other C-One users out there, to get a nice discussion going as I come into this new retro scene.  Thanks.

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
Re: Any C-One users out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 02:34:54 PM »
What an incredibly sweet little machine. I want one! I've been thinking for ages about getting my hands on an old Schneider/Amstrad CPC and fiddle with it, but this is much better. And yes, the woman is cute too... In fact, I was a bit surprised to see a woman design this. Now before Blobrana and Cecilia beat sense into me with big sticks: I know many women with interests in the hard sciences (they've got the degrees to prove it), and they are certainly not stupid. It is just that for some reason or another, I associate this sort of thing with malnourished, feverish, daylight shunning males. Perhaps because I was once like that ;-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »
There are some great, recent articles about Jeri Ellsworth in a Slashdot posting from a couple days ago.  It's what got me thinking about this unit again, ultiamtely inspiring me to order one (and to order one of the C64 Direct-to-TV units that she also designed.)  And I was never really an 8-bit Commodore user.

It is an interesting device, the C-One.  It will be interesting to see what the unit is capable of when the native core is finalized, which will basically allow it to function as a new 20MHz 65C816-based platform.  (The SNES and Apple IIgs were both 65C816-based.)

I am having a hard time finding an attractive, small, ATX case (it will fit in many mini-ATX cases apparently as it's only "one slot wider" than a mini-ATX unit) to display it.  Seems a clear case is called for.  

See a MPEG movie clip of the unit booting here.

More pics of Jeri here, here, here, here.

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 05:54:54 AM »
I've been very tempted by this device, primarily for it's hackability (especially with those tasty FPGAs); however, if I get anything it will probably be the Dragon board from fpga4fun.com.  It doesn't do a whole lot by itself (unlike the C=One), but it's more appropriate for what I would like to do (build a piece of hardware from pretty much the ground up).

Of course, I already have too many hobbies and I still haven't taken full advantage of that CPLD I got last year.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 04:00:37 PM »
I recieved a c-64 joystick with 30 games built in for Xmas, cool!

I would have picked a different 30 games, but oh well ;-)

this space for rent