Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...  (Read 13239 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »
Quote from: Roj;700973
But for some reason, Microsoft deems experimentation too dangerous for their userbase...I guess.

Most users would be too confused by it. undo/redo functionality would be better.

If you want different settings for different users then you should setup different users.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
Quote from: acmn;701566
Yes, I am aware of http://www.autohotkey.com/. But hey, that is not a commodity found
in Windows , it's a third part sw you have to install yourself...I wonder why...MK

Because Microsoft didn't waste time on writing their own.

If you're going to argue that only software bundled with the OS counts then your AmigaOS experience is going to be very limited.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
Quote from: acmn;701571
Only said that this commodity is not included in Windows...that's all...

BTW, shouldn't we make difference between operating system and sofware that is running
on it. Software in Windows is great but os itself is not. It is clumsy. monolithic and too huge
...that is how I see it as a long time user...MK

That wasn't all you said. You wondered why & I answered your question.

Windows isn't monolithic. You can select which parts to install/uninstall. Something AmigaOS has a major problem with.

But it has more functionality than AmigaOS so it's going to be bigger. Linux was also smaller when it started and has grown with age. AmigaOS would have too, if it had been financially viable.

I'm not sure what you mean by clumsy. While 12 years ago I was still regularly using an Amiga 1200, I find it much easier to use Windows these days.