Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...  (Read 13234 times)

Description:

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
Re: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
... Two state icons of arbritary size and folder icons. They help you distinguish important files from standard ones and tell you visually what is about to happen once you doubleclick on them.

... a button to bring windows to the back (ALT+ESC is a cludge).

... a menu bar on maximized windows that you can click by dring the mouse all the way up.

... a way to select multiple menu items, without closing the menu intermittently.

Intuition was superior!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:30:10 AM by lsmart »

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;701176
NOBODY CARES!!!

I do. Thanks for calling me "nobody". How very polite.

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »
Quote from: warpdesign;701261
It's been 20 years, and the Amiga still doesn't support...

Amiga wasn' t really developed since 1994, so there is small wonder it doesn' t support all you could wish for.

Pointing out (eventual) Windows flaws ? Pointing out Amiga's own flaws ?

If Windows had just learned a few lessons from Amiga, it might be the best OS there is. Unfortunately many of the resources that where poured into the development of the GUI of Windows were wasted. Due to a bad styleguide.

I own a copy of the "Windows User Experience" book from Microsoft press. It`s three times as thick as the Amiga User Interface Style Guide and is written poorly by comparison.

I'm not sure keeping saying Windows suck will improve the Amiga...

Amiga will not improve. Maybe AROS will, but I am not sure. You may hope for some up to date software and maybe some hardware, but there are no resources for real improvements that will benefit Joe Random.

Windows will change substancially, but it seems that they "improve" it for a different target audience than us: Sony Tristar, Time Warner, Intel, ASUS, D ELL, HP and Microsoft.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:24:29 PM by lsmart »

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
Quote from: KimmoK;701334

Every release AOS, MOS and AROS have improved.
There have been real improvements that are visible to user right after first bootup.

And (for example for AOS) updated 3D and multicore support is being implemented.
You think those will never be ready?

btw... on this topic, I think also AEROS can be considered to be "Amiga". Is there any big thing that can not be done on AEROS? It runs also windows SW, mind you.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound too pessimistic. But most of the improvements we are seeing today is support for existing hardware and file formats. AEROS and AOS have added some hooks to make the UI easier for people who are using Windows but I turn them off as soon as I can. I really think the UI of 1994 (+MFR+cycletomenu) was the best UI for AmigaOS and has not been improved since. AmigaGuide has been replaced by HTML and PDF and the documentation has been neglected and became less useful than in the days of the fishdisk. This is what I think Joe Random will notice.

I am a fan of the things Hyperion is trying to do for the core of AmigaOS and am really impressed with the work of the Friedens. And I admire AROS for having created such a perfect copy of our beloved system. (I don't know MOS enough to praise them, sorry) I think they are great now and there will be some improvement on the road.

But I had hoped that other OS would improve the way I can work with multiple files and programs, help me remember which file is which, give me feedback when I click, let me change the settings according to my mood. Windows had the finances to do this, but instead they plan on a renting model for Office.