Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CompactFlash.device how-to?  (Read 5639 times)

Description:

Offline Thomas

Re: CompactFlash.device how-to?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »
Delete storage/dosdrivers/compactflash.device.

Quote from: RedWarrior;813098
I mis-copied your text there- I thought it was an "l", but it was a "1"...

It should be an l (lower case L). %8l will print the file size with 8 digits. %81 will print %81, completely pointless.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Quote from: RedWarrior;813104
I'm sure I'll love this machine again once it's working... but I'm not a coder by any means, so this is really pushing my limits of technical ability (and patience!) ;-)

Should I delete the dosdrivers/keymaps/datatypes/moitors/printers folders from Devs? I seem to have duplicates in Storage as well as Devs...

No, don't delete those. Storage is for storing those things, and you drag what you need into Devs. Just don't delete anything from Devs. Stuff not needed in Devs should be kept in tgeur corresponding Storage drawer. This is Commodore's way. Doesn't matter if you have duplicates in Storage, Storage isn't used by the operating system.

Offline RedWarriorTopic starter

• Show only replies by RedWarrior
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 07:50:30 AM »
"Doesn't matter if you have duplicates in Storage, Storage isn't used by the operating system. "

I have a strange knack of taking the worst interpretation of things sometimes... I read that and concluded that I ought to have whatever was in the storage/dosdrivers/ folder in the devs/dosdrivers folder... I copied everything in there to devs/dosdrivers....

and rebooted to a dead CLI limbo with nothing mounted and nothing normal at all...

I did manage to launch my file manager and delete the files I copied into devs/dosdrivers/... but the damage is done! How do I get my system back?

I even unscrewed by amiga and copied all those recommended latest files for CFD etc... (didn't make a difference, still no CF0 drive coming up...)  :(

What am I doing wrong? (besides everything?)

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 08:05:30 AM »
Looks like I did something to make the RAD: drive enabled all the time. I tried a boot with both mouse buttons, and now RAD: is in there (wasn't before). If I cold boot, the bloody thing comes back...

How can I turn off the RAD drive? It's also chewing about half of my RAM now...

Man I'm bad at this...

Thanks for your input/pity/charity =)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »
Quote from: RedWarrior;813160
Looks like I did something to make the RAD: drive enabled all the time. I tried a boot with both mouse buttons, and now RAD: is in there (wasn't before). If I cold boot, the bloody thing comes back...

How can I turn off the RAD drive? It's also chewing about half of my RAM now...

Man I'm bad at this...

Thanks for your input/pity/charity =)

Turn off RAD by dragging it out of Devs/DOSDrivers and into Storage/DOSDrivers. :laugh1:
You may have more than one RAD - move any that you see. Then turn your Amiga off at the powerbrick, wait 10 seconds, then power back on. I won't mention the remrad command which if run will save that reboot.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 09:37:44 AM »
Quote from: RedWarrior;813159
I have a strange knack of taking the worst interpretation of things sometimes... I read that and concluded that I ought to have whatever was in the storage/dosdrivers/ folder in the devs/dosdrivers folder... I copied everything in there to devs/dosdrivers....

and rebooted to a dead CLI limbo with nothing mounted and nothing normal at all...

I did manage to launch my file manager and delete the files I copied into devs/dosdrivers/... but the damage is done! How do I get my system back?

I even unscrewed by amiga and copied all those recommended latest files for CFD etc... (didn't make a difference, still no CF0 drive coming up...)  :(

What am I doing wrong? (besides everything?)

Do you mind if I call you Frank Spencer? :lol:

Have a look from Page 50 of the Workbench 3 User Guide, tells you about Devs and Storage:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/amiga/amiga-commodore/Workbench_3.0_Users_Guide.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiHzK_ymebOAhUGM8AKHca8AusQFggXMAI&usg=AFQjCNFD65bkyYufKk9FpHjZ7unyftYNLg

Is your Amiga booting again yet? What version of Workbench are you running? Did you install it yourself (Workbench)?

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
I think it might be Workbench 3.0

Installed? No... copied from a system that was running the display screens in a train station... I saved a few of them from being thrown away.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
Quote from: RedWarrior;813163
I think it might be Workbench 3.0

Installed? No... copied from a system that was running the display screens in a train station... I saved a few of them from being thrown away.

Very commendable indeed! That's really interesting... Where abouts is this train station? What's it called?

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »
ok. system back (phew!)

but still no CF0... I've tried a few different CF cards... I can't even get CF0:NDOS to show up...

Would anyone feel like possibly talking me through this? ICQ? Skype? Doing my head in...

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 10:03:25 AM »
Plot twist: Running the PrepCard tool shows that there is a CF card in the PCMCIA slot... Some info appears when I insert the card & goes blank when I remove it.

Of course nothing actually works when I try to initialise it... ;)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
Quote from: RedWarrior;813166
Plot twist: Running the PrepCard tool shows that there is a CF card in the PCMCIA slot... Some info appears when I insert the card & goes blank when I remove it.

Of course nothing actually works when I try to initialise it... ;)

This CF card you're using, do you have data on it? Is it formatted? It needs to be FAT32 formatted. You can do this on your Amiga or elsewhere. Refer back to previous posts and check you have those files in the correct places.

compactflash.device (Devs)
fat95 (L)
CF0 (move to Devs/DOSDrivers to have it automatically mount on every boot)

Don't forget the CardPatch and CardReset too.

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
CardPatch and CardReset... I have tried running those as commands... nothing happens... is something meant to happen? The card is/was in my Amiga600 and I tried to format it under winuae with pfs3 (as per your earlier recommendation, as I have done for the internal CF)... though it returned with "OUT OF MEMORY" and rebooted when I tried to perform pfsformat.

I tried adding more memory via winuae settings, but made no difference. I think it is lying about being out of memory. Oh- it might be the DosType... I didn't know what to put as the dostype. It's a 4gig CF card...

Though surely it would at least show up as CF0:NDOS and let me fix it on the Amiga?? :/

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
Does the CF0: card reading thing care if it's an Amiga formatted Card (PFS3) or Fat32? Will it read both? or only Fat95?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
FAT95 will only read FAT-formatted cards.

Check with Info and Assign commands if CF0 is actually mounted. Assign should list CF0 under mounted devices and Info should list CF0 with a status like "no disk in drive" or "not a dos disk".

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 11:01:51 AM »
Quote from: RedWarrior;813169
The card is/was in my Amiga600 and I tried to format it under winuae with pfs3 (as per your earlier recommendation, as I have done for the internal CF)...

You're not supposed to format it with pfs3. Just format it on your PC with FAT95.

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 29, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »
Finally managed to get pfsformat to work on this CF card I was planning to use as a transfer card.... (borrowed from my A600)

Luckily I didn't just wait an hour for nothing...
:D :D :D :D :D :D I want to cry.