Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS on PPC Mac - are there any legal objections?  (Read 5482 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show all replies
AmigaOS on PPC Mac - are there any legal objections?
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »
I was recently speaking with a whole bunch of Amigans or Morphosians at some Amiga party.

I was told that Hyperion's policy might be to pursue Mac Mini port soon (or it is being done already).  However there was one crucial issue unclear to me.  Are there any legal obstacles in releasing proprietary OS to Mac Mini platform?  Note that it is discontinued since three years, I guess those all PPC Macs are not under support anymore either.

So if someone can point me into some brief legal statement forbidding any alien OSes on PPC macs, I would be grateful.  Unless there is one, I'd bet it is to be released, maybe earlier than MorphOS.  I know there's an issue with different firmware, but this request of mine is rather of a legal nature.

Just wanna know because if all this is legally illegal, no one will bother.

Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS on PPC Mac - are there any legal objections?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »

The only obstacle I can think of comes from the Amiga IP owner, but Hyperion seems free to do whatever they want with the OS now, so...

Exactly!  I did manage to launch this Moana CD on my Mac Mini, so it's almost done at that stage, the only mandatory issues to fix seem the internet and the sound.  Wifi and USB would be fine.

Great!

But on the other hand... ACube wouldn't like it done so it's a matter of an agreement between those parties.  If there was no matter of any formal sense, the project should take no more than 3-5 weeks...

No legal barriers, only aesthetic ones.

You mean this about Mac people or Amiga people? :-)

EDIT*  One more issue to be a reason - after the release for Peg2, the sales just got increased must drop back for some time to launch any cheaper platform...  So Peg2 people: make up your mind quickly so that Mac people can enjoy it soon, too :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »

Jupp3 wrote:

But on the other hand... ACube wouldn't like it done so it's a matter of an agreement between those parties. If there was no matter of any formal sense, the project should take no more than 3-5 weeks...

Sounds like they should hire you, if you are absolutely sure, you could do all that in such a short period of time.

That does it.

Does 'should take' mean 'absolutely sure that takes' to you?

What the f* makes you think I'm sure about it?? Or even claim this??  Was it said anywhere??  Then I'm missing something???  Why the f* there's always a person generalizing someone's statements thus trying to make an ass of oneself???

And what tha ** makes you think hiring me is any possible??  Should mcdonald hire you for example?  Bollocks!

Are you trying to prove anything or what?  Go hug your kid and tell him you're the best!

What's wrong with you people???

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Framiga wrote:
i meant to say that the Moana files were stolen from the author laptop, along the laptop itself ... have you got it now?

Oh I got it the first time. Leeched it, lost it, whatever - it doesn't matter *how* it got out in the wild. Duplicating it and spreading it without the IP owners permission would be a breach against copyright laws, it means stealing in exactly the same way as to duplicate and distribute a music recording, a movie, a book, a computer game, etc. However, you can't claim that "moana is illegal", which is what I replied to.

Does this belong to a topic?

I was referring to Hyperion's release in Amiga Inc IP prespective.  I do not care about something else.

BTW All you moralizing people keeping repeating that "having Moana is evil" all over: did you manage to get further into the case?  Say since AmigaOS IP is actually being decided in a court now, didn't you ever consider that buying the license now is in fact SUPPORTING one party, not necessarily an owner??

I do not know about the US law here but such cases (software) seem to be following the rule "even if not known whose this is, as long as I have it in my pocket (the source), it's mine".  Great but as said, by buying it now you automatically become a supporter...

Another way - if you see two guys fighting about a wallet, would you with no doubt say "it belongs to the guy having it now"?  Well, that's what you do.

All I want to say is you're off the topic.