Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contaced a Factory in China about producing a run of fully populated Mini-migs  (Read 17178 times)

Description:

Offline Crom00Topic starter

• Show all replies
Re: Contaced a Factory in China about producing a run of fully populated Mini-migs
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 11, 2007, 02:02:29 PM »
UPDATE:

We are working to get 2 functional units made, after that we have a quote to get 10 test units made up on the same production line that would make MORE Mini-Migs. The cost for such a low run comes out to about +/- $200 per unit plus shipping. These numbers come down with higher volume runs.
A small amount from sale of each board would go to the kickstart bounty.

As for costs on a production run that depends on quantity of the run, and all the hidden costs that come up, still getting quotes back on all that.

Is there enough interest here for an initial run of 10 test units? $200 saves you the time and insanity of soldering your own components, I tried this... not fun.

These are best described as TEST /BETA UNITS and are great to draw up a compatiblity list. As early adopters you would be paving the way for future productin runs.

Any thoughts...?

FOR THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED:
Factory would need the funds up front so would you guys be willing to pay up front? Delivery time would be 3-5 weeks from turnover of funds. IF by chance you ARE interested PM me your info with: "MINI-MIG BETA BOARD" in the subject heading and if this develops further I'll have your contact info.  

• Show all replies

RW222 wrote:

How complete is complete? Just got a little confused 'coz there was talk of cases and joypads etc.  

Mentioned estimated costs and the idea of costing out controller. We were very carefull NOT to mention those items are inlcuded.

A fully realized console would require LOTS volume. This is a limtited run of just the board, as you understand 10 units is too low a run to get everyone the low cost unit we all want with all the bells and whistles.

So we're clear no plans to include a case or controller.

This is for  developers and early adopters, I suggest waiting for a production run if/when that happpens for a lower cost item.

• Show all replies
The FPGA and legallly obtianed kickstart ROM are loaded at startup from an MMC card.

Instructions for how it all works are at Dennis' site. He also recently complied the soruce code to make it easier for us. He also has a Mini-MIG manual there to check out.

For this initial run of 10 we would supply a fully functional populated board sans power supply or MMC.

Examining what we else can include for a larger run, waiting to hear back from all vendors.

• Show all replies
If this develops further will let you guys know more details and make a formal announcement. Still weeks away from that, just getting costs back.

• Show all replies
Nope. Our PCB's got hung up due to the postal strike in the UK. Difficult to move forward without a working unit. The only other populated PCB units in existance made by other parties are being sold to the highest bidders on ebay.

Working around this.

• Show all replies
Working to get another PCB vendor so we can resume work on this at full speed. The electronics factories are fine been over there, not like the media tries to portray. Good hard workers, clean facilities.

• Show all replies
Figured I ask...

Anyone outside the UK willing to part with at least one bare PCB to further this cause? I ask for blokes outside the UK due to the unreliable nature of Royal Post.

Your would be helping moving this project forward... No ebay solicitations please.

Thanks!
Crom00

• Show all replies
Continuing to get word back frm factoires, they are having problems sourcing the ram and the following parts:
the cost does not include IC9 & IC5, IC6 & 7 Ram.

Where have y'all been getting your parts, I'll pass the info along. I suspect they're using asian suppliers hence the sourcing issues.

• Show all replies
Some delays. UK Postal strike slowed down assembly of our test unit.  Will advise further. Hope to decide on a factory and start on the first 10 units within the next couple of weeks. Finding someone that will do small numbers is a challenge.

• Show all replies
One factory is moving slow, really slow with costs. Another is much more on the ball in that regard. Whatever factory I decide expect 6 weeks for turnover of funds to getting boards in hand. That will get us 10 boards to play with for those that showed interest and PM'd me for a dev board.

Things have gone slow becuase one of the vendors is taking forever to get answers and we had a 2 week delay in getting our boards from the UK.

Spent the weekend playing with the MiniMig sample we have. Very nice. It's picky about the type of MMC card used as you won't get a display unless you use a compatible card. Monitor must support 50hz. I use a Hanns G 22" 1080p screen. Not the best monitor to showcase this as it stretches horiz pixels too much due to the widescreen.

• Show all replies
When we place the order with the factory, pay them and get working samples then we will accept orders for the first 10 units. This is also a side gig for us so paying gigs take prioirty but despite the setbacks we have spent decent time on this and things are progressing.

All I know is I just boxed the thing up becuase I'm finding myself PLAYING the games for too long instead of testing one and moving onto the next game, or getting other work done. Highly addictive...

• Show all replies
If someone REALLY knows a factory in the US, Tawian, or wherever that they prefer and know that can handle this kind of work, send me the info. I have no problems swithcing factories if it makes sense.

• Show all replies
A Chinese Rohs certified factory couldn't possibly do any worse than the hatchet job I would execute if I had to solder all those components... LOL!

• Show all replies
Getting closer here, vendor had truoble securing all parts this is supposedly resolved. WE shall see.

By the way. Have a 2.4 gig amiga sofware collection and I ran Deluxe Paint 3 on the Minimig, worked quite nicely, only thing no way to save my work...LOL! Did a 60 second 320X400 64 color anim.

I thought the OCS used the non Extra Half Brite denise?

• Show all replies

freqmax wrote:
There is no write function in the PIC18 firmware whatsoever. I read it..

Games like Cinemawares Basektball have issues since a save disk is required and the disc is write protected.

Other notes about the MiniM.

Uses Sega Genesis controllers quite well like an Amiga.

Using an off the shelf optical mouse and keyboard beats the Old school ball mouse anyday.

Some sprite issues in games like Lionheart.

Looks better on 4:3 VGA than  16:9 widescreen 22" monitor due to the stretched pixels. All games work without issues except where noted.

Games I have tested:
Pinball Fanstasis
Moonstone
Turrican
Flashback
Anotherworld
Super Methane Bros
Elfmania
Body Blows
Zeeowolf
Awesome
Lemmings
ProjectX
Startdust (main ship doesn't show. sprite error)
Lionheart (main character doesn't show, sprite error)
Super Frog (main character doesn't show, sprite error)
R-Type2
Deluxe Paint 3
Barbarian 2
Shadow of the Beast
Shadow of the Beast 3 (main character doesn't show, sprite error)
Ruff & Tumbe (stops at loading screen)
Golden Axe
Battle Squadron

and more I can't remember right now...

Biggest upset was Ruff & Tumble as that's a great game to demo the MiniM.

• Show all replies
Whether or not they can secure parts and come back with reasonable terms dictates everything at this point. Thanks to all those that have listed suppliers and helped out like WhiteB.

Until then I'm testing the MiniM and have a love hate relationship with it. I put it away becuase I spend too much time tinkering with it, then take it out to show folks who stop by, then pack it up again.

If all goes well in a short while some of you will develop the same problem LOL!