Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: my AO G4XE will arrive beginning April 2003 :-)  (Read 5497 times)

Description:

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
Re: my AO G4XE will arrive beginning April 2003 :-)
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 22, 2003, 11:53:38 AM »
Don`t critise me for it, after it, its my money and frankly I`ll do what the hell I like with it.

Totally agree!!

It's also my money and I will buy a preordered AOne too. AmigaOS 4 will arrive and it will be great.

I don't care what anybody else says because frankly the arguments to make me not buy an AOne (for whatever reason) were not convinsing.
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2003, 01:36:41 PM »

strobe wrote:
The risk is "stupid" because there's no risk/reward. You only have interest in AmigaOS4 and it isn't here yet! You could wait and remove the risk and be rewarded as well.

I could, but I don't want to. That doesn't make me stupid! The fact is that AmigaOS4/AmigaONE needs early adopters to show Eyetech/Hyperion that people want what they are aiming to achieve and that they are serious about it.

If you don't want to take the risk and be an early adopter, that is up to you and I totally understand the logic behind it. Thats fine; that is a smart thing to do. Well done you, have a pat on the back.

The fact that I'm prepared to stump up the cash now and be an early adopter does not make me stupid. Its my money, don't tell me how to spend it or accuse me of being stupid.

And to all those thinking it; it also doesn't make me a blind worshipper either. If the MorphOS product plan was more inline with what I wanted for a future operating system, I would be buying a Pegasos now instead.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2003, 02:04:25 PM »
Well, I think I would like to state this once and for all:
People use money on different things. For me, it was a no-brainer. I've had so much fun with my AmigaOne over the last 10 months, and learned a lot of things about Linux I didn't know (which comes in handy at work :-) )

I think everyone should go with their gut-feeling. Mine said "Jump on it", so I did. I don't regret it. I don't regret buying an A500 back in '89 either. And I certainly don't regret the fun I have had with the A1200 I bought in 93. Hmm, seems I don't have many regrets about computers, does it? Oh well, comes from only expecting a bit of fun, never expecting the second coming or something. Tell you what. Don't treat the Amiga as a religion, treat it as a toy. And be prepared to buy some more toys!!! :-)

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2003, 05:35:29 PM »

Kronos wrote:
@Atheist

"SIMM-Sockets" ?
What kind of sockets are you talking about ?
Before 1989 everybody was using DRAM in DIL-packs, just
like the ones soldered onto the OCS-mobos.
Than there was ZIP-packs (used in the A3k) and SIPPs (used
on some Z2-cards), but try to find some of those today.
Later came the first 8(9) bit SIMMS, followed by PS/2 (FP or EDO)
and now DIMMs (SDR or DDR).

Well, maybe not the A500 and the A2000, it would have cost alot to redesign them. But the CD32, A600, A3000, and A1200 could have had them. I have 8 SIMM sockets on a GVP Impact Series II SCSI card, which I bought in 1990. And a friend of mine bought a 33 MHz 386 in May 1990 that supported, I believe, upto 32 Megs in SIMM sockets on the MB.

AmigaOne! 2 Gigs, BABY!!!! :-D  :-D
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2003, 02:55:15 AM »
I'm not rich, but I beleive, for the price, we're gonna get one hell of a computer.  For that reason, God willing, I plan to "plant" (donate) one or two Amigas to a community-oriented center.  One in my local parish's Youth Center, for kids to use for their homework, etc., and another one in one of our city's recreation centerfor the same purpose.  One of our local banks donated ten used PC's running Windows 98 to a local battered women's shelter, but,  isn't Microsoft leery about passing on ownership of their software without paying them re-licensing fees?  I just hope they don't find out.  

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2003, 06:12:53 AM »
Why is it everytime someone says they support Genesi and MOS someone chimes in "another MORPHOS ass*@#) This is tiresome.
  I am a HUGE AMIGA supporter and thing Hyperion are great guys and I know they will finish their product. When is the question - then there is performance issues....
 One thing nobody talks about is Pegasos has BUILT IN FIREWIRE with TITAN software releasing a DV Editing software for MOS!! This is a killer feature. Combined with the Prostation Audio you have a very nice modern VIDEO SOLUTION - what the AMiga was made for!
 Not only that you get the MOS which WORKS and Works well. Their JIT 68k emu is in place and steamin'
 I wish Ainc and Hyperion good luck.. I hope they get out a beta to the public for viewing before MOS is released for Power Up PPC cards! ( Then you'll really see alot of MorphOS "Ass#@!)
 I would not invest $800 on a board with no OS. I can also run MOL on the Pegasos. I know the Pegasos is no longer available, but It is prudent to wait. Remember BOXER? Remember PreBox?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2003, 06:35:16 AM »
Frankly I don't know how the hell MOS got in this thread! Hrm, checking the previous posts it seems Tickly is dangerously close to being labeled by me again.

WTF is this crazy if not MOS then Linux/PPC A1 board? I get enough of this "logic" in presidential elections.

Offline xeron

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2003, 12:21:59 PM »
MOS got into this thread because I explained that the two solutions that most closely fit what I want for a system is MorphOS and AmigaOS4, is all.

I was not claiming that they are the only two options, or that anyone who has posted here is saying that I should go for MOS, or anything like that. Obviously if people want AROS, Amithlon, BeOS, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2 Warp or whatever, they're welcome to it. Also, if you're sitting back and waiting to see products, thats ok also.

I just wanted to clarify my reasons for choosing the AmigaONE/OS4, and also say that if MOS had been more inline with what i want, I would have ordered a Pegasos right now despite that the future of MOS is also unclear.

Offline xeron

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2003, 12:23:14 PM »

Why is it everytime someone says they support Genesi and MOS someone chimes in "another MORPHOS ass*@#)

When did that happen? I can't see anyone being shouted down for liking any operating system here.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2003, 04:43:10 PM »
Well, anyway I respect all the guys who purchased an A1: they want to support the platform and invest a lot of themselves with a very high risk.

Couldn't say better. Without this attitude we'd be dead since long.

Every new hardware and software is a "good to have" tm. I'm glad to see, that we have alternatives.

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2003, 01:48:29 PM »
Didnt receive any date from KDH yet, I ordered pretty late though.

--
"Welcome to Oz. Bush needs a brain. Cheney needs a heart. And Congress needs courage."

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2003, 02:07:49 PM »
As long as it isn't 1st April 2003  :-D :lol:
int p; // A

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2003, 02:29:35 PM »
if eyetech had no pre-orders, their estimation of the Amiga market would go *up* a notch.

pre-ordering is really a mistake, its not an incentive to produce more, its the opposite.  The goal is to make money....pre-ordering suggests that you can get the money without actually producing anything.  Strobe correctly pointed out, that pre-ordering suggests ignorance and lack of savvy.  Even companies accepting the money don't really have 'respect' for the people who pre-order.

Consider Amiga, Inc. how much respect do they show the club members, when month after month goes by, and they don't produce the t-shirt.

I hope you are not offended, I don't know you personally, and I am not speaking therefore, directly to you personally.  It's not an attack on you, in specific, but that is how pre-orders are perceived by many people.

FYI, pre-paying breeds disrespect and contempt, especially by those who are taking the money.  

Just think about it, a person.....or a group of people, usually develops a reputation over time.  A person can have any type of reputation...'cheap', 'generous', 'tough', 'weak', 'kind', 'cruel', etc.....

It seems that a certain segment of the amiga hobbyists is determined to develop the reputations
'easy mark', 'gullible', 'soon parted with their money'.

Hey, go for it....but its really totally unnecessary...nobody has suggested a good reason yet to pre-order.  Does Alan really need the money badly?  His business cannot survive without a community loan?   The idea, that somehow Alan 'needs' the money as an incentive, seems to be the most common myth presented as a reason for pre-ordering.

If this is really true, that he needs the money,  it would be important to know it!  Let Alan confirm it.  If he's on the virge of bankruptcy, he should tell all his potential investors and pre-order loan friends in the Amiga community, so they can choose (or choose not to) loan him money in the form of a pre-order.....

I'd hate to see people lose their investment....loaning money to someone on the virge of bankruptcy, is *STUPID*.

Now....he's not on the virge of bankruptcy.   That was just a discussion about the reasons that were presented.  Fact is...he's not going bankrupt and he can conduct business in the usual fashion.  There is no need or good reason to pre-order.  Prices go down, markets shift.  It is wise to wait.

Offline Rudei

• Show only replies by Rudei
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2003, 03:12:16 PM »
FYI, pre-paying breeds disrespect and contempt, especially by those who are taking the money.

and FYI - no money has been taken from my card, I haven`t yet paid for anything... so that kinda pisses on your argument really doesnt it
2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2003, 03:22:25 PM »
I have preordered an AmigaOne.

I would never pre-pay an AmigaOne.

There is a world of difference (or a language problem).
SlimJim

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2003, 03:32:04 PM »

SlimJim wrote:
I have preordered an AmigaOne.

I would never pre-pay an AmigaOne.

There is a world of difference.
SlimJim

The shady ground in the middle though means they can put the prices up because you havn't pre-paid.

This leave you paying Eyetech more for your order. They have recently  done this with their prices.

If you pre-ordered a Board & Ram you are now gonna have to pay 16% more for your RAM. Even if the price was less the day you ordered it.
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case