Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SkyOS  (Read 2947 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
Re: SkyOS
« on: March 15, 2003, 10:34:56 PM »
Carls:  IMHO registry-based systems suck

Here's one for you:  Microsoft is a very profitable and experienced investor.  So, what's one of the first rules they break when designing the system registry?  Put all your eggs in one basket!  A registry OS wouldn't be so bad if each app was given its own registry (if the app asks for one).  But then, organization is not Microsoft's strong suit.

SkyOS...

I don't really know why people bother writing "alternative" OS's, anymore.  SkyOS looks way too much like Windows for my tastes.  Besides, when you wind up with files like "sb.dld" and "3c509.dld" in the system folder, what's the point?  How are you supposed to tell what is what?  I just went through a driver nightmare with Win98, trying to get a USB card reader to work.  Is SkyOS going to do any better?

One reason why I like the idea of AmigaDE is because it is, supposedly, an environment, not an OS.  There's already a lot of good OS's out there, but very few, good environments.  I think MacOS X is the only "real" alternative to Windows when it comes to a new environment, which is probably why Macs are still the only major corporate competition for Windows.  Sure, Linux is gaining ground, but only in the business sector (sesides, Linux doesn't really have an environment.  It just uses X Windows and the same desktop managers used on Unix).

Where are the truly *different* designs?  Why is everyone only interested in cloning Windows or obsolete Unix systems?