Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two new µ-A1's models on the way  (Read 7357 times)

Description:

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: Two new µ-A1's models on the way
« on: August 29, 2004, 11:58:15 AM »
Anything else to back that up? From what I have observed, the 750FX is faster than the 7451 and 7455 when Altivec is not used. At the same clock frequency, mind you.

When you launch an altivec accelerated Moovid you will notice it.

Well... you'll notice it when you really want speed (3d stuff, video editing converting and playing etc).

Don't tell me that Altivec is useless please ;-)

It sounds as if Eyetech had lots and lots of G3s they bought 2 years ago for the A1-XE, all the customers choosed a g4 and now they don't know what to do with the room full of (now slow and expensive) G3s

A new G4 cpu is cheaper than 170pounds. A g3 may be ok if the computer was cheaper

I'm quite angry with the price of these boards... and the lack of a G4 option? I can't understand it!

I hope I don't sound trollish but I'm quite angry and dissapointed.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 09:12:20 AM »
@PulsatingQuasar&Ikir

I know that the 750FX is slightly faster in normal operation, but who cares? we don't have many OS4 ppc apps yet and the 68k apps will run faster than on the real hardware.

Trying to sell me a 750FX saying that it's a 10% faster than a g4 in integer/fpu operations won't make me want buy one. If I really wanted extra speed I would launch an Altivec version of the program. And the cost of a modern fanless 1ghz G4 is less than the price stated by Eyetech.

I think it would be better for eyetech to think twice what they are doing. Pegasos2/G4 exists and it's a far better price/value solution at the moment so give us at least a G4 option.

I prefer a G4/600 rather than a 750FX@800Mhz.

@Rogue:
my message wasn't directed to you but more to eyetech. I replied to your message because you were saying that in normal operations 750FX is faster than G4

@Argo:
Sorry for my english, I guess I should have used future "now you won't tell me altivec is useless uh?" instead of using a present verb.

Just check out the latest micro-ATX and barebone boards... they are getting smaller and faster, with fast XPs and P4s...

And it's ok about the industrial version because they won't need Altivec, but for consumers it's quite important...
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 02:36:56 PM »
me too :-/

It would be cheaper for eyetech to buy genesi some PegasosG4, add their flashrom code and run OS4 on it that producing the A1s...

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 10:42:06 AM »
@Kimmok
Because they are sold as 800Mhz systems for some reason.

The only reason is that Motorola didn't have 800Mhz parts in stock and they sent Eyetech 933Mhz parts for the same price. Eyetech doesn't want to sell them as 933Mhz because next batch will be 800Mhz and some users would complain of paying the same for a slower system.

So Eyetech avoids problems telling us that all their machines are 800Mhz models.

One can not buy them expecting them to operate 100% reliably @ 933 untill Eyetech says so.

If you set the voltage right and give the g4 a decent cooling system, you shouldn't get lock ups.

The first thing Eyetech should do is check what G4 revision the user gets and put the voltage jumpers according to the G4 revision. That would decrease the number of users complaining about lock-ups. And they should put a decent fan

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »
A 9200SE is more or less like a 7000 due to his 64bit memory bus... A full 9200 would make more sense...

If ppc750VX was available now it would be a very good option. Imho the best option now would be a fanless 1Ghz 7447A.

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 08:27:58 AM »
You won't find one, simply because IDE DMA is not enabled in the pre-release. You'll have to wait until the next update.

Regarding Linux you should wait too... I just hope MAI releases a DMA-stable kernel by november so industrial customers don't complain about slow hard disk access (if dma is disabled) or data corruption...

Anyway... If you go to an OS4 Show and find a Betatester he may allow you to stress the system (afaik they are testing the DMA enabled ide drivers). That would be a nice test while you wait for it to be released publically.