Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60977 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 20, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
I'm not going to ask for permission to offer my opinion about AROS.
And anyone that has used it (or tried to use it) knows its not ready for prime time.

BTW - I invested in a system to run AROS and think its a great hobbyist OS.

I guess I ought to add the specs of that system to my signature.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;681119
I can't believe this old thread was dug up (That comment was made in Decemeber).

My point (back then) was that AROS needed funding, but unlike other people who paid for drivers, Barry wasn't going to spend a single penny.  Of course AROS needs work to go mainstream, but CUSA were not prepared to pay for it.  I guess an existing Linux distro with some icons and wallpaper added is the next cheapest alternative.

In fairness, I will add that if I was in Barry's shoes and I was selling a computer with an OS to the mass market, then I would want either a "market ready" OS installed or to be in complete control of whatever alternative custom OS I was going to use.  To market an incomplete system and then have the people you were depending on for further development decide to give up or become uncooperative.  Personally, I'm wondering legally where he stands on providing (or rather not providing) Linux (sorry, COS) support.

Thanks Darrin,
Your clarification of your point makes perfect sense.
And I too wonder about the legality of distributing a modified Linux distro (by a for profit entity).

Quote from: Terminills;681126
I find AROS ABIv1 to be very stable. :P

That's not the point. even AROS.org doesn't recommend the OS for critical operations.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;681129
So did the EULA on my AmigaOS package from both my A1000 and A4000 about AmigaOS.   ;P

Now that you mention it, Microsoft makes a disclaimer about "mission critical applications" on its EULAs too. ;)

I any case, I find AROS to be pretty impressive.
The recent integration of UAE is  remarkable.
In time this could be the leading NG OS.

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
Thanks paolone,
At least one fellow AROS user understands my position/post.

I too like the idea of a new Commodore.

And after talking to Barry, I'm convinced that he understands basic business principles and is sincere in his desire to resurrect the brand.

You're right. He's not doing this to please us, but rather to try to build a successful business.