Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60372 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
I am interested/curious to see the case.

Vic slim is pure uglyness, c64x has no PETSCII keyboard with almost vertically parallel keys and no 9-pin joystick port USB adapters but at least they made an effort with the look.

I suspect there will be a cheaper and better solution to C-USA c64x soon enough. Ditto a rival for C-USA Amiga which will not cost 1000s too.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;671601
I don't mind the VIC slim (I always liked those all-in-one designs).  However, as you say, how can you use a C64x as a C64 without the symbols on the keys?  This is why my Chameleon64 is plugged into a real C64C.  :)

That's fair enough about the VIC Slim, personal taste and all that, but not aesthetically related to a VIC20 but clearly the c64x is and they're the same design. Why didn't they just do a white c64x case for VIC20x and a black one for c16x?

This also makes me wonder about their Amiga case designs chosen.

Only mildly curious, will not purchase anything.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
Quote from: mongo;671613
If they do a white c64x case for a VIC20x,then what is the difference between the two besides colour?

The VIC-Slim is a $180 Seewor KPC210 with a sticker on it that they sell for $499.

Well the VIC20 looks nicer due to colour IMO but it also originally came with an awesome feeling PET style keyboard too so if they did it properly then it would need a different keyboard.

The point is neither are anything but a PC in a fancy copycat case so colour is the only obvious difference. Maybe they could set it up so the VIC20x boots up into 640x480 rez so all the graphics look big and cramped like a real VIC20 :)

(yeah I know, they don't pre-install an OS)

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
Quote from: persia;671625
The computer in a keyboard concept pretty much became non-practical with the death of the CRT.  Nowadays the only all-in-ones that make sense are the computer in the monitor type....

Or a 17inch laptop with a real cutting edge GPU (Common 5 years ago, now <1% of laptops include one)

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Quote from: tone007;671662
Only the very earliest came with that PET style keyboard, I have a couple and they feel like crap. Good luck duplicating that!

The look of the keyboard, however, is definitely appealing, and I couldn't help putting one of the PET style keyboards in my Educator64.  That PET case just didn't look right with a standard C64 keyboard.

I've got two as well, I prefer them for typing but the flat keys take some getting used to sure but the tactile response I prefer.

Dunno why C-USA don't do a PET remake, specially the Super PET.