Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New SCSI II to Micro SD Card Adapter At AmigaKit.com  (Read 15869 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: New SCSI II to Micro SD Card Adapter At AmigaKit.com
« on: October 16, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;797525
So please explain it in easy and simple terms, what would the performance be like in an Amiga with either FFS or PSF3 as filesystems?

From the articlcle:

Transfer Size (bytes):    512             2048    8192               65536
Read                            2MB/s    2.1MB/s    2.5MB/s       2.6MB/s
Write                    125kB/s    441kB/s    1.5MB/s       2.3MB/s

So which one is it?
I am really worried about the write speed, as there is a huge diffrence between 125kB/s and 2.3MB/s

I assume transfer size would be filesystem's blocksize and that can be defined when defining the partitions. First three probably are possible with all Amiga's filesystems, but I'm not sure about that biggest one... at least SFS supported up to 32768 bytes at some point. Usually they default to 512 bytes... the bigger you set it the more space is wasted with small files (like Amiga has), but it gets faster especially with bigger files. It's a compromize, but 2k or 4k would still be acceptable in many cases.

But in any case that doesn't sound very fast. Maybe more ok for old SCSI controllers in A500 or so, but for example with Blizzard SCSI Kit on A1200 you could get up to 10MB/s speeds and that kind of 2MB/s would be a bottle neck and not faster than internal IDE speeds. Of course CPU load should be much lower even then.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:27:46 PM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.