Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: K6-2 vs K6-3 emulation speed ? UAE or WinUAE  (Read 1041 times)

Description:

Offline RW222Topic starter

• Show all replies
K6-2 vs K6-3 emulation speed ? UAE or WinUAE
« on: October 14, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »
Hi folks,

I was wondering if there's a significant difference in emulation speed between K6-2 and K6-3 CPUs for the same clock. I know in other stuff the K6-3 wins, but not sure how much advantage UAE takes of the onboard L2. If someone has done a comparison between an early cacheless celeron and a PII that might be valid also.

The reason I'm asking is I've got this neat little Iopener thin client machine that can be modded and expanded. I've got both K6-2s and a K6-3 I could upgrade it with. However, the K6-3 would be significantly more work, due to needing higher core voltage. May also run into more cooling and power issues with it than the K6-2 (Which I have a 1.8V Vcore version of) Max clock I can run with either is 400Mhz I think.

Also curious about the RAM requirements of KX Light in the Amiga Forever distribution. This machine may be limited to 64MB of RAM, and I was wondering if I'd be better off with that or a stripped down install of Win98SE which I've previously had a version of WinUAE running quite happilly on top of with only 32MB. Also wonder if it has the full dose of knoppix hardware support, iopener chipset/gfx is not common, though supported by knoppix and it needs USB drivers for networking.

I know it's not an ideal UAE configuration, but would make a great little "Amiga" sidekick machine on my desk.
RW222: A1200 (early commodore) A1220 Turbo+4MB, A500x2.

Offline RW222Topic starter

• Show all replies
Re: K6-2 vs K6-3 emulation speed ? UAE or WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:27:02 PM »

alexh wrote:
Eurgh, you'll have to go back many versions of WinUAE to get 100% speed on that beast.

It got that bloaty? Last time I had it running on a K6 class, I think it was a K6-2 @ 450, on a (crippled) 430TX chipset, I think I was seeing around 400% in AIBB over stock A500 and stunt car racer and few other games were running as nice as on an A1200. Of course this was with just OCS/ECS emulation not AGA. Might have had JIT running, can't remember.

I see talk of there being reasonable (A500) emulation speed on P-233. Had it running on a P200 (non-mmx) a few years back and it was just about grit-your-teeth bearable. Also had it running on a 5x86 @ 120 which needed 320x200 and 4x frameskip, games kinda ran in fast slideshow mode.
RW222: A1200 (early commodore) A1220 Turbo+4MB, A500x2.