Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org - Ibrowse and Aweb support sucks  (Read 8513 times)

Description:

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Re: Amiga.org - Ibrowse and Aweb support sucks
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
This has been discussed about a thousand times.  Perhaps the new owners will see fit to write a backwards compatible theme (even though you'll lose 1/2 the functionality of the site) when they take over, but at this point in my life, I simply don't have it in me to spend the hundreds of hours required programming time for a dead browser any more.

All it would have taken is the author(s) of said dead browsers to support 1996 technology and we'd all have been much happier, so is it the author's fault for abandoning the platform altogether, or mine because I chose functionality over uselessness?  

The fact is, classic Amiga browsers make up less than 2% (roughly 8 to 10) of our viewers.  Most use PC's and Macs pretty evenly these days, most real Amiga users having moved to Mac years ago..

Like you, not trying to troll.  Just stating the way I feel about it.  The simple fact is that when moving to vBulletin, we had a choice between being fully functional (which we are) or being compatible with a 1994 level dead and unsupported browser set which is only used by less than 2% of our members.  

In order not to strand development of the site AGAIN, I chose the former.  Maybe the new owners will have the enthusiasm (and the spare time) to do something about it...

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//