Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HyperionMP: Porting AmigaOS 4 to Cell  (Read 5053 times)

Description:

Offline bhoggett

• Show all replies
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: HyperionMP: Porting AmigaOS 4 to Cell
« on: June 08, 2005, 01:07:25 PM »

whabang wrote:
The statement doesn't say much else than that it is possible to port future OSes to Cell-CPUs. So? It's possible to port it to ARM, x86, or 68k too for that matter.

Yes, but how does that equate to the oft stated fact that there is no license for AmigaOS 4 to run on anything except AmigaOnes, coupled with Alan Redhouse's statement that there will be no further development or production runs unless the interest shown is in the thousands of units bracket?

It doesn't add up.

That's not even going into the reality of the suitability of AmigaOS4 (or any other Amiga related OS) for use in embedded applications. Not to mention that talk of a "multimedia powerhouse" is a ridiculous overstatement at this stage.

But hey, what do I know? Apparently I'm one of the people who are responsible for all the problems...   :roll:
Bill Hoggett

Offline bhoggett

• Show all replies
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: HyperionMP: Porting AmigaOS 4 to Cell
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 05:46:14 PM »

Argo wrote:
It doesn't add up.

Mystery Device???

Ah yes, I forgot the "We Haven't Really Thought This Through So We'll Make Up Some Thingy And Call It a Mystery Device" kit. Last one I saw in that category was a wooden mock-up in a glass case at the Kensigton WoA in '99...

I really don't think AmigaOS4 has a prayer in the embedded market, regardless of device. It may be the one sector that is growing, but it is also a highly competitive one with most of the participants throwing in wads of R&D funding.
Bill Hoggett