Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Offline User Friendly Linux Distro with Updated Wine?  (Read 14720 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Offline User Friendly Linux Distro with Updated Wine?
« Reply #104 from previous page: March 28, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730675
What a bunch of crap! Grrrr.... :/

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm wondering whether your laptop would work as a Hackintosh?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;730676
I'm wondering whether your laptop would work as a Hackintosh?

Good God! Why would I want to do that?!?!? :)

I'm waiting on the Linux distro that allows you to emulate 68k Amiga and use it as the GUI giving access to Linux and Wine, etc.

It's coming, it's coming! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730677
Good God! Why would I want to do that?!?!? :)
There is only one reason and that is for Logic Pro. :)

I'm waiting on the Linux distro that allows you to emulate 68k Amiga and use it as the GUI giving access to Linux and Wine, etc.

It's coming, it's coming! ;)

Yeah but AEROS won't work on your laptop because it uses a recent version of Xorg. :/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;730682
There is only one reason and that is for Logic Pro. :)

Yeah but AEROS won't work on your laptop because it uses a recent version of Xorg. :/

Hmmm... actually OctaMED S.S. and all my hardware does the job, I don't need Logic Pro (as cool as it may be). As for this Laptop, I may well leave Winblows on it and sell it in order to buy one that gives me less grief.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:48 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730686
Hmmm... actually OctaMED S.S. and all my hardware does the job, I don't need Logic Pro (as cool as it may be). As for this Laptop, I may well leave Winblows on it and sell it in order to buy one that gives me less grief.

Intel and Nvidia GPUs are your safest bet for Linux support.

On a side note, have you ever tried FL Studio? It runs
 great on Linux with the WineASIO drivers and a realtime kernel.

I made a drumstep tune with it last year to get a feel for it and I really liked it. Not used it since though.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;730688
Intel and Nvidia GPUs are your safest bet for Linux support.

On a side note, have you ever tried FL Studio? It runs
 great on Linux with the WineASIO drivers and a realtime kernel.

I made a drumstep tune with it last year to get a feel for it and I really liked it. Not used it since though.

I have, it's a pretty nifty program, but again, I prefer to compose on my Amiga via OctaMED S.S., MIDI, and real hardware.

Here's what I've got:

Kaossilator I, Kaos Pad 3, MicroKorg, Tascam DR-07, Akai XR-20 Drum Machine, ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp (Model 127), Mic with Mic Stand, and a few other odds and ends like a lap harp and such. Oh, and let's not forget the A1200 with 80Mhz 060! ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730690
I have, it's a pretty nifty program, but again, I prefer to compose on my Amiga via OctaMED S.S., MIDI, and real hardware.

Here's what I've got:

Kaossilator I, Kaos Pad 3, MicroKorg, Tascam DR-07, Akai XR-20 Drum Machine, ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp (Model 127), Mic with Mic Stand, and a few other odds and ends like a lap harp and such. Oh, and let's not forget the A1200 with 80Mhz 060! ;)

Phwoar!! :)

I'm 100% software based these days (Apart from my Yamaha KX-25 controller keyboard).

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;730691
Phwoar!! :)

I'm 100% software based these days (Apart from my Yamaha KX-25 controller keyboard).

I think that's generally how it goes...

Those of us who started off software based, tend to end up with hardware, and those who began with hardware, end up leaning towards software in the end. :)

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730690

Here's what I've got:

Have you ever tried Renoise ? its like Octamed on some serious steroids - cross platform too (Linux / Windows / OSX) Really short learning curve too - the majority of the key mappings are the same as Octamed.

http://www.renoise.com/

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Quote from: polyp2000;730771
Have you ever tried Renoise ? its like Octamed on some serious steroids - cross platform too (Linux / Windows / OSX) Really short learning curve too - the majority of the key mappings are the same as Octamed.

http://www.renoise.com/

I have, it's REALLY cool!!! I just wish it was for AROS or MorphOS.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2013, 12:57:34 AM »
Should I be sticking with 32bit distros or  64bit?

My CPU's of course are 64bit.

Yes, I can't believe I'm still dabbling with this stuff after I have said numerous times in this thread that I'm fed up. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730810
Should I be sticking with 32bit distros or  64bit?

My CPU's of course are 64bit.

Yes, I can't believe I'm still dabbling with this stuff after I have said numerous times in this thread that I'm fed up. ;)

How much RAM have you got?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;730835
How much RAM have you got?

8Gb Yo!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730838
8Gb Yo!

64-bit.