Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Offline User Friendly Linux Distro with Updated Wine?  (Read 14731 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Offline User Friendly Linux Distro with Updated Wine?
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
My friend gave me her old laptop, it's quite the beast, but I don't want Windows on it.

I'm looking for a nice, USER FRIENDLY, GUI driver Linux distro that does not require you to be on-line to install it, and comes with an updated version of Wine.

I'm not to keen on Ubuntu anymore and would like an all in one download solution that I can update on-line when I need to without the OS nagging me during install and what not.

Is there such a thing?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline esc

Re: Offline User Friendly Linux Distro with Updated Wine?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:50 AM »
As far as coming bundled with Wine, that may be tough.  I like Mint Debian quite a bit - it's a dressed up Debian distro without all the Ubuntu clone crap.  Works a treat.

Offline cunnpole

• Show only replies by cunnpole
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
I tried Zorin recently. It was fairly easy to get up and running. It comes with XP and Win7 themes and walks you through the setup with clear graphical instructions. Didnt play much with the preconfigured wine as I just use it for Libre office (pre-installed) and a bit of Counterstike/Darwinia through Steam. The Nvidia graphics drivers have come a long way in the past few months...

I gave the laptop away so I can't say I used it extensively, but it did exactly what I needed it to. It also comes with Chrome, Thunderbird and the Ubuntu App Store, although I had to apt-get the firefox installer as the repository was offline at the time.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
I've become a big fan of Pear, it is beautiful, with some Mac like looks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
Thankx!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;728703
My friend gave me her old laptop, it's quite the beast, but I don't want Windows on it.

I'm looking for a nice, USER FRIENDLY, GUI driver Linux distro that does not require you to be on-line to install it, and comes with an updated version of Wine.

I'm not to keen on Ubuntu anymore and would like an all in one download solution that I can update on-line when I need to without the OS nagging me during install and what not.

Is there such a thing?

Debian Stable.  You obviously will need to download the install media, but you can download every program in the repo on 5 DVDs and just run with CDROM repo.  It will not have the latest wine, but that is easy enough to obtain and install.  The only updates stable gets are security ones.  Also, its still on Gnome 2 :)

EDIT:  There are some here who would say that USER FRIENDLY and LINUX will never go together...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:28:06 PM by TheBilgeRat »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;728749
Debian Stable.  You obviously will need to download the install media, but you can download every program in the repo on 5 DVDs and just run with CDROM repo.  It will not have the latest wine, but that is easy enough to obtain and install.  The only updates stable gets are security ones.  Also, its still on Gnome 2 :)

EDIT:  There are some here who would say that USER FRIENDLY and LINUX will never go together...

I don't know if I can even use Debian, isn't that sort of complicated to install?

Also I was trying out Aeros r3.5 (with fingers crossed) hoping it would install, but I kept getting kernel panics. I was told that it will work on any hardware that Debian works on...

I did forget to try ZevenOS though. Gonna download it and Pear now and check into them for the time being.

EDIT: Hold on, ZevenOS is Debian based too... well we'll see. If Debian or something Debian based does run that will suck because I REALLY wanted to try out Aeros. :/

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;728750
I don't know if I can even use Debian, isn't that sort of complicated to install?

Also I was trying out Aeros r3.5 (with fingers crossed) hoping it would install, but I kept getting kernel panics. I was told that it will work on any hardware that Debian works on...

I did forget to try ZevenOS though. Gonna download it and Pear now and check into them for the time being.

EDIT: Hold on, ZevenOS is Debian based too... well we'll see. If Debian or something Debian based does run that will suck because I REALLY wanted to try out Aeros. :/

It may have been complicated a while ago, but downloading a live cd and installing it is a pretty straightforward affair these days.  I say Debian Stable as it really is rock solid stability wise.  I interpreted your question as "Is there a Linux out there that, once installed, will not be a huge PITA during normal operation and requires very little tweaking and what tweaking it might need can be done from a GUI."  I've been around the block with all the Debian derivatives, but I get tired of eye candy or the "app store" crap.  I much prefer stability and predictability.
 Plus, most of those Debian derivatives run unstable or testing.  Debian Stable is a different beast.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:39:59 PM »
I'll check out Debian next. Thus far Ubuntu, ZevenOS, Areos, and Pear all fail to boot on my machine, they are all locking it up.

Haiku installs fine though and boots in 15 seconds...
...sadly not all the hardware is supported by it yet.

Have any of you heard of this?

http://www.longene.org/en/develop.php

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:12 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;728760
I'll check out Debian next. Thus far Ubuntu, ZevenOS, Areos, and Pear all fail to boot on my machine, they are all locking it up.

Haiku installs fine though and boots in 15 seconds...
...sadly not all the hardware is supported by it yet.

Have any of you heard of this?

http://www.longene.org/en/develop.php

"Please to be installing Most Excellent Backdoored Kernel from the PRC"

lol!  I'll pass.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:53:29 AM »
Lets backup and ask:  What brand of laptop and model is it?

This might help in determining what is going on.  Haiku installing and Linux not installing is very weird.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:54:21 AM »

This might help in determining what is going on.  Haiku installing and Linux not installing is very weird.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 04:46:38 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;728777
"Please to be installing Most Excellent Backdoored Kernel from the PRC"

lol!  I'll pass.

That bad hugh? :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:09 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;728779

Inspiron 1521

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:52 AM »
I used vector linux for years, check it out, you can order a cd if you don't want to download a and burn for just a couple bucks. Works great on older, low spec hardware, is slackware based, has great repos and software easy to install with just a couple clicks...

Puppy linux is also a good option for lower spec older hardware. Now? I run mint on my combo workstation/server.