Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New found cache  (Read 1514 times)

Description:

Offline azhowardTopic starter

• Show only replies by azhoward
New found cache
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:40 AM »
First of all, I hope I'm in the right section. Not too long ago I went through storage and found several A500s with many accessories (the complete works, including accelerator and zoro backplanes for an A500 tower), some A1000s, etc... Well, I am doing a house remodel which included tearing down a storage space and came across 3 C64s, 5 1571s/1541s and a 128D with keyboard, video cables, GeoRam 512, and another A1000 with keyboard and CLTD expansion ram. (All in great shape and working!)

My question is: How valuable is this 128D? It is the 128 in a metal case that looks much like an A1000. (I should mention the 128D looks to be in excellent shape as well as the keyboard and ram expansion, it boots up fine.) Having forgotten most of what I know about Commodore 8 bit machines, I did a cursory Internet search and have found comments that this particular model is somewhat scarce or rare. One is somewhat skeptical when seeing such remarks, but such remarks have come up often enough to ask if anyone out there knows about this model.

I vaguely remembering running CP/M and GeOS on this machine. I do remember it is probably the best 8 bit machine and very fun. Unfortunately, one was switching to 64 mode quite often because of the abundance of software. Yet the 128 had some great productivity software both for CP/M and the Commodore side and had a significant enhancement in video display.

Anyway, any info would be helpful.

Offline Jope

Re: New found cache
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 06:59:22 AM »
Quote from: azhoward;727586
I did a cursory Internet search and have found comments that this particular model is somewhat scarce or rare. One is somewhat skeptical when seeing such remarks, but such remarks have come up often enough to ask if anyone out there knows about this model.

All C128Ds in USA are metal cased. It is rare in Europe where the vast majority of them are plastic cased. Naturally selling an NTSC machine to Europe is rather futile, as the games and demos people want to play and see over here will not run on it.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »
Where are you located?

Offline azhowardTopic starter

• Show only replies by azhoward
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »
I am in Phoenix, AZ.

Well, I knew that all 128Ds in the US were metal cased as opposed to the plastic, handle equipped models in Europe. However, most of the other 128s that I have personally seen were the plastic wed-shaped versions. I don't think I've seen another 128D. So I assume what Jope is saying is that this particular model is not scarce in the US?

Offline joekster

• Show only replies by joekster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
C-128d's seem to be going for $150-$300 on ebay...