Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: F1  (Read 10500 times)

Description:

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
Re: F1
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 09:53:42 AM »
Nice to see a girl interested in F1.

I'll stick my neck out and say M.Schumacher WONT win at Indy today.

BMW ( I hate them) Williams seem to have the legs on everything on top end speed so I predict a Montoya win.

Followed by DC.  Third spot filled by possibly Ralph.

2.4 litre ?   Ugh I hope not.  leave the engines alone but do away with the electronic aids.

NO pit communications. ( Except for the old lap boards)
The Reluctant Pom

Offline blobranaTopic starter

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2004, 02:29:59 PM »
Hum,
>> a girl interested in F1.
Yea, even though i can`t drive..hehe...

And , yea, it would be nice to see someone else win ;) (but i quite like Schumacher) The honda (?) engine is supposed to be the fastest there...And Reubens looked really good yesterday.

Ralph and montoya are moving as well...
And you can`t discount Button on that weird track...

;)

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2004, 07:37:15 PM »
Blobrana, is there anything you don't know?!
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2004, 08:09:24 PM »
Outrageous they left it so long to Black Flag Montoya.

Lets hope the McLarens have a bit more peZaZZ with their new car come the French Grand Prix.

Man of the match for me .....

Takuma Sato

Why ... He had the balls to do what Barrichello was afraid to do...  Take the race to them !!

C'mon Rubens....  If you don't show you wanna be No.1 in that team .... You will Always be No.2

( Seems your happy to be that)
The Reluctant Pom

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2004, 10:04:01 PM »
Agreed!
Also outrageous  that the marshals and ambulance didn`t react faster when Ralph ended up in the wall...

And what were the tactics of Bar?

Man of the match for me as well.....

Sato

@Robert17
 :-)
(sry, can`t help it)

Offline Abou27

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2004, 11:10:18 PM »
Great race (Ralf worries aside).  Once again, an element of luck to a MS win!  Shame about Alonso - a fantastic start even for a Renault!

Good drive from Sato - he showed a lot more maturity than ever before.  He seems like a really nice guy and I like him but just think he is a bit rude on track.  He has clearly got the speed and, in a couple of years, will calm down and be a regular championship contender (unlike his teammate who shall shortly start to wither away to nothing).

I think with Ralf's accident, it was because of position being so dangerous with cars at high speed.  Therefore, had to wait for SC to be deployed, whole field to pass and then follow behind round the lap.  Medical car at front of pit, I think.  Also, there have been times in the past when marshalls have tried to hurry the driver out of the car before medical advice has been given.  Until things settled down Ralf, in his car, was in the safest place.

Schuey's wins and championship table belie the exciting season this has been so far.  More of the same please! :-)  

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2004, 11:23:44 PM »

Abou27 wrote:
I think with Ralf's accident, it was because of position being so dangerous with cars at high speed.  Therefore, had to wait for SC to be deployed, whole field to pass and then follow behind round the lap.  Medical car at front of pit, I think.  Also, there have been times in the past when marshalls have tried to hurry the driver out of the car before medical advice has been given.  Until things settled down Ralf, in his car, was in the safest place.

But as soon as the safety car comes out (or is announced to be coming out) all cars are to reduce speed and not over take.  It would've been very possible to get the ambulance on track during this time with the minimum of fuss.

With the way the crash was, the ambulance would've been able to drive towards Ralf (backwards round the track) and it would've worked out fine.  The racers would be over on the other side of the track to get past Ralf, and the ambulance would be coming up the same side.

After typing all that, it's maybe not crash-tye dependant, it's probably safety precautions no matter what.

The only reason I can see that they didn't red-flag the race was because Ralf was awake, compos mentis (Williams were asking him over the radio and he was able to move as they asked) and the car wasn't in a dangerous place, but the reactions should've been a bit quicker all round.

Cracking race all the way tho :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2004, 01:31:50 AM »
They should have red flagged the race after Ralfs crash.
I think it was completely moronic of the race director to allow all the cars to go through all that debris on the exit of the corner.
 I know they were following the safety car, but even at that speed they could have had a tyre let go, and then plough straight into the marshals and doctors helping Ralf.

And poor old Montoya! letting the guy race for 50 odd laps before black flagging him cos he got out of his race car and into the spare too late. Whatever happened to that 20 minute window that penalties had to be given in ? Now if Schumacher had done that......
On schedule, and suing

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2004, 09:24:11 AM »
I used to watch F1 a lot, i still watch it sometimes. The problem is that the races are too predictable:

1) Practice session
2) Open race, anyone can win
3) M Schumacher gets an element of luck when all the others get bad luck and fall behind
4) The 1st placed driver has 1 lap to go when the commentator shouts "and he must win now!" and his engine blows up and M Schumacher overtakes at the last minute
5) M Schumacher wins AGAIN!

I used to like when Mika Hakkinen was racing, at least he put up a good fight! :-)
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2004, 12:27:14 PM »

Doobrey wrote:
And poor old Montoya! letting the guy race for 50 odd laps before black flagging him cos he got out of his race car and into the spare too late. Whatever happened to that 20 minute window that penalties had to be given in ? Now if Schumacher had done that......

I think that 20 min window is the time to look into the descision (when they notice it) and announce it.  The complaint is about how long it took them to notice, but also it seemed to take them over 20 mins to decide.  That latter thing is what Williams should be appealing against if anything.  The stewards were too late to do anything about it by then.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2004, 12:55:01 PM »
Hum,
it seems that the F1 cars are going to run down Regent street, London today...
Should be a nice day out for everyone.
And  maybe in the future London will get it`s own f1 circuit...

Offline Doobrey

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2004, 02:37:44 PM »

PMC wrote:
BTW, what does everyone think of the proposed new rules?  For those who don't know the plan is an engine size reduction to 2.4 litres and 8 cylinders.

I think it`s bloody stupid.
They have 2 agendas..
 1. Cut speeds because of safety concerns.
 2. Cut/limit the cost of racing.

Cutting the engine size will slow them down for another decade, but the lower end teams on customer spec engines will suffer.
The engine companies have spent years and millions on getting a 3 litre v10 to where it is now, getting a competitve 2.4 litre V8 isn`t as simple as lobbing of 2 cylinders and shortening the crank stroke, so they`re gonna be starting from scratch, and that means the companies with the biggest budgets will still win.

I had a simple idea, so cunning you could stick a big bushy tail on it and call it Reynard..
Why not just use a simple rev limiter?
The FIA could regulate it easy enough, giving each car a sealed box at the start of each race to stop cheating.

It`ll also give engines more longevity, lower revs puts less stress on the whole unit, so you should see more cars finish the race (apart from Sato  :-P ), and should make engines cheaper to make as they won`t need as much exotic alloys as they do now.

OK, the anaethestic from the dentist has worn off now, and have regained the ability to work out that 8/10s of 3 litres is 2.4 litres, so they can just lob off the end 2 cylinders.. I`ll shut up and get back to coding. :sealed:
On schedule, and suing

Offline Abou27

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 08:11:17 PM »
Simpler would be to stop refuelling.  Heavy cars on tyres that had to last for much longer would significantly slow the cars.  Formula 1 is fast becoming quite pathetic.  An element of danger is an integral part of the sport.  The drivers who are a cut above are prepared to go further towards the limit than others.  This difference is diminished as the cars are made safer and safer.

I had a chuckle when I saw one of Mosley's new proposals, though.  It seems very commercial and I would say cancels out all of the other safety measures included in the package (safety being the priority) by the being the most dangerous suggestion ever - it beggars belief.  The idea is that, parade lap having been completed, if a car stalls the start won't be postponed.  Instead, it will proceed as usual with yellow flags indicating the stricken car.  Given some of the take-off scenarios witness in recent seasons, I find this idea truly astonishing!

I reckon good riddance Max.

Apologies for kinda ranting - am in crappy mood :-)  :-x

Offline Doobrey

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2004, 01:20:47 AM »
It`s not about softening the sport and making it totally safe in the way you see it.
There`ll always be an element of risk no matter how fast or slow you crash, just look at Senna`s crash, normally drivers would walk away from something like that..:-(
 I was reading about a crash in practise at the French GP, (I think it was a Sauber) 80g, nose straight into a tyre barrier.Without that new head restraint they said he would have headbutted the steering wheel and at the very least have some damage to his neck.

If they don`t slow the cars somehow, accidents will just get bigger and bigger. A crash this year that puts 80g on the driver, could well be a 90 or 100g crash next year.

I`m with you about Moseley and the FIA, some of their ideas have been bizarre.

Take the idea of putting grooves in the tyres!
How the hell is that improving safety?
Sure, they can`t corner as fast on them, but it doesn`t stop the car reaching the same speed just before they brake.
What happens if a driver needs to take sharp turn to avoid someone/something on the track? Oh dear, not enough grip, and wallop!

On schedule, and suing

Offline Abou27

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2004, 11:10:32 PM »
I see what you are saying but your point abpout Senna's accident is interesting (I am conveniently forgetting Ratzenberger for the sake of my argument - I'm going to hell).  His death was the result of a freak occurrence rather than the impact itself.  Formula1 cars are infinitely safer than they were then.  Those two deaths were the first for 12 years.  I feel that we have gone far enough.  Although, admittedly, this view depends on other factors changing little.  As cost cutting is also one of the driving (hehe) forces behind the proposed cahnges, it seems odd to change the engine regulations.  The companies cannot go much further with the current rules.  However, with the change to 2.4 engines, all will have to increase their budgets to produce what is required.  And get up to the maximum level pretty quickly.

Basically, what I am saying is, I wish people would stop tinkering with things just to make them appear different and appeal to non-fans.  Just leave them and all will enjoy more.  Look at the scrapping of the disastrous Golden and Silver goals in football by way of an example.

Another lush GBGP, though!

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 12, 2004, 11:43:27 AM »
Hum,
Truly, a spectacular crash...
And seems maclaren have regained a bit of their former glory...though even with the safety car nullifying Shoes lead they still came second...
And what happened to Button? (Too much under steer)

Oh well...

- anyone see F1 women afterwards? -