Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 2494 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohnTopic starter

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Pacific Rim
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
Go. See. This. Movie. If you have even a sliver of geek or B-movie fan in you or even just want to see spectacle blockbusters that take joy in their premise again instead of being constantly grimy and dour, do not miss this movie. It's a note-perfect homage/tribute/mashup/fan film for mecha anime and Japanese monster movies alike, mixed in with Hollywood summer blockbuster sensibilities - but from those halcyon days when summer blockbusters could actually be good and fun. It wears Neon Genesis Evangelion on its sleeve in many ways, but unlike that show it keeps the "giant robots versus Godzilla" aspect front and center and develops its characters through that, instead of devolving into navel-gazing.

My God you guys, do not miss this movie.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Pacific Rim
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »
OK, as a devoted Godzilla fanatic (who frequently watches the last Toho Godzilla movie - Final Wars at regular intervals) you've sold me. Giant robots? I'm in.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohnTopic starter

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
Heh :D The big G doesn't put in an appearance, but there's at least one of the kaiju whose design is a direct homage to those movies...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »
I still want to see this movie, watched Japanese monster flicks growing up.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline MicroStrand

• Show only replies by MicroStrand
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;740720
My God you guys, do not miss this movie.
Oh man, are you really so easily to excite? This movie is nothing more than a digital mix of Transformers and Godzilla, just ridiculous. The whole story is already so hackneyed that one wonders about their financing at the most. :rolleyes:
Imagine a microcontroller that doesn’t tell you what to do, but asks “What do you want from me?” - XMOS

Offline dnelsonfl

• Show only replies by dnelsonfl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
My son (6 yo) loved the movie... the whole reason he wanted to see it was he saw a preview with the mechs and was fascinated by them. I must admit, I was skeptical going in, but I enjoyed it. Just put the logic part of your brain in park and enjoy the ride.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Quote from: dnelsonfl;744733
My son (6 yo) loved the movie... the whole reason he wanted to see it was he saw a preview with the mechs and was fascinated by them. I must admit, I was skeptical going in, but I enjoyed it. Just put the logic part of your brain in park and enjoy the ride.

Kinda like Battleship then? :D
Beating the dead horse since 2002.