Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi-End audiophilia, myths, misinterpretations and...  (Read 8891 times)

Description:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Re: Hi-End audiophilia, myths, misinterpretations and...
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 02, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »
I had two of these (for people who don't know what they are: They're amplifiers from the late sixties, and they're really good):

One of the stupidest things I've ever done in my life is selling them :rant:

Offline Hell LabsTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;545882
...i really dont care about audio quality. i have an aureal vortex2 sound card in my pc from 1998 that i have had in every pc ive put together in the last 10 years because it gets the job done.
monitors on the other hand are a totally different thing. i use crts. my hdtv is crt because i specifically went out looking for one after comparing all the crts lcds dlps and plasmas. i perfer crt. i havent found an lcd i like because the color is wrong and the purity is terrible...

High five, I agree with everying you just said. LCDs suck. I never know they marketed CRTs as hdtvs, but I only watch tv shows downloaded from the internet to my pc, and whatever I still have on vhs.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline pyrre

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 01:34:50 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544327
Some pics of my current 'main' 2-channel system. Getting tempted to add another amp/preamp combo and setup a pair of B&W's for rears though. NOT really for movies - for the multi-channel SACD's and DVD's I have of music concerts and such. There is a front projector in this room which fills the space between the speakers rather nicely. lol  

Tandberg amp you see sitting next to one of my Ascents NEEDS a matching preamp... Already have the B&W's  :)

Are those a pair of martin logans?
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

Offline paul1981

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »
I have to agree with save2600 (sorry I don't know your name), but digital recording is quite awful, and the use of computers for recording music has cheapened the whole recording industry.  The horrendous overuse of compression just sucks all the life out of music.  Then there's poor quality computer reverbs and effects...very poor, then on top of that, poor engineers/producers who have no idea what the hell they are doing.

To me, music and the quality of audio recordings has declined with each passing decade.  Mid-late 1950's recordings were just amazing.  There's a simple reason for this - they used better equipment to what we use today, and secondly they were recorded and produced by professionals, not bloody media studies college graduates.  In the 50's they had the finest valve (tube) open reel tape machines, valve microphones, valve pre-amps, valve amps, valve compressors etc etc...real reverbs, not 'pretend' digital reverbs.  Things were still good in the 60's and 70's.  Midi in the 80's of course started the decline of musicianship, so that any idiot with a keyboard or drum machine could make their own "music" and make a hit record (amazingly).
Then came the 90's, oh dear.  Extremely poor music production, extremely poor recording equipment (studios turned to digital recording and mixing by 1995/6).  Due to the cheapness and maintenance free digital recording setups (ie computers/hard drive recorders/dat etc), many new studios opened, none of which were professional in equipment, nor were the producers any good at all.  So music hit a low in the 90's, and it hasn't recovered ever since.
The production of music since the 90's is so poor, that indeed you can do a better job yourself, which is what I do (even with fairly cheap digital recording gear).
Oh, I almost forgot about the compact disc!
All I have to say about those is this : Convenient but CRAP.
It's a joke when people use the term "cd quality" or when it is used to boast about certain products.  I'm like "cd quality?  What does that mean?".  I believe cd's and their 'quality' have also contributed to the decline of the music industry.

When I want to listen to some REAL quality I will either:
a)  Listen to a vinyl LP (from late 50's to late 80's)
b)  Listen to my open reel tascam mastering machine (15ips, full track 1/4" tape).

Until I hear something better than my reel to reel tape or my vinyl records, then I'm afraid I'll continue to remain with my 1950's technology, and very happily so.

P.S. To save2600 : there are some modern gems, try this one:
'Alison Krauss & Union Station – Let Me Touch You for Awhile'

Offline m4rk1z

• Show only replies by m4rk1z
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;545929
I had two of these (for people who don't know what they are: They're amplifiers from the late sixties, and they're really good):

One of the stupidest things I've ever done in my life is selling them :rant:

You still can build one by yourself, it is not hard to do, before i got myself a mcintosh i was buying all the parts needed for a assembling a quad!

Some friends of mine did it and the result is fantastic for that money
:)

@crt mons  I play racing games professionally on my xbox so i also have a crt, a silicon graphics '24 - that's the only way to do it right!
LCDs are indeed (today 2010) good for browsing the net :roflmao:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:37:01 AM by m4rk1z »
Ex-progamer & very proud owner of:
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 03:20:44 AM »
racing games are definitely the best on crt, but professionally? Did you say professionally? Where do you play racing games professionally and how can I get in on that?!?
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline m4rk1z

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;546087
racing games are definitely the best on crt, but professionally? Did you say professionally? Where do you play racing games professionally and how can I get in on that?!?

Yup that's right, it's WCG or world cyber games...

:laughing:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:47:23 AM by m4rk1z »
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
Of course LCDs look crap. They don't put gold plated fuses in the power supplies of the units or use monster cables to connect up the matrix.
LOL.
I always liked the way a Monster cable reverted to a 1mm copper track at the amp and a .50 mm copper wire at the driver cone.
But it's a religion for a lot of people and a money maker for a lot of companies.  Good luck to them if there are the people out there who buy them.

I rember once playing a trick on a Audio sales person trying to sell me a set of expensive speakers. (with cheap drivers) He compared them to another set of speakers via the old multi stage switch, when he was interupted by another staff member I switched them back.
"Hmm you're right" I said when he retured. "They sound heaps better don't they."
"The sure do" he agreed, "Nothing like that cheap japanese crap."
I walked out.

Offline m4rk1z

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;546151
Of course LCDs look crap. They don't put gold plated fuses in the power supplies of the units or use monster cables to connect up the matrix.
LOL.
I always liked the way a Monster cable reverted to a 1mm copper track at the amp and a .50 mm copper wire at the driver cone.
But it's a religion for a lot of people and a money maker for a lot of companies.  Good luck to them if there are the people out there who buy them.

I rember once playing a trick on a Audio sales person trying to sell me a set of expensive speakers. (with cheap drivers) He compared them to another set of speakers via the old multi stage switch, when he was interupted by another staff member I switched them back.
"Hmm you're right" I said when he retured. "They sound heaps better don't they."
"The sure do" he agreed, "Nothing like that cheap japanese crap."
I walked out.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »
Quote from: pyrre;545960
Are those a pair of martin logans?

Yes - they're a pair of Ascents. I'm normally a Magnepan guy - but thought I'd try a pair of electrostatics out for a while. Had to replace the stator panels immediately (something you almost always have to do with these damn things when you buy used), but they sound great now. They're a little too focused for my tastes and having said that, wouldn't want any smaller of a curvilinear radiator than these. I'll go back to Magnepans someday (last pair were model III's), but for what I got these for, including a rebuild, I couldn't pass up.

And right on paul1981! Excellent diatribe of your own there. Wish more people were as passionate about some of this stuff today. But because music and its recording techniques leave so much to be desired, people simply aren't as interested anymore and rightfully so I guess. Next thought though is why the mainstream does not believe in re-listening to certain types of music. As if there's some sort of stigma to listening to classic rock or folk rock from the 60's. We're already acutely aware of what the mainstream thinks of the classical and jazz genres. Classical aside though, there are many, many, many groups are still relevant today. Most of the songs from the 50's-60's I listen to are about love, relationships and spirituality. They made and continue to make you feel good when you listen. Ahhh, I get it now... makes perfectly good sense why someone would rather listen to repetitive bass lines "produced" by a rap "artist" that has no respect for women, the law, themselves, or humanity in general  ;)   lol
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:34:47 PM by save2600 »

Offline pyrre

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 01:39:04 AM »
@save2600
I have been on the lookout for KEF Raymond Cooke series 105/3 for quite some time now.

What amps are you using?
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »
Quote from: pyrre;546500
@save2600
I have been on the lookout for KEF Raymond Cooke series 105/3 for quite some time now.

What amps are you using?

Seems I change my amps around every few years... Threshold, Golden Tube Audio, Margules, Tandberg, Tube Audio Design, Adcom, Rotel and Forte have all graced the rooms within the past 15 years or so. Currently, I'm using a Bryston 4B and am quite happy with it. Speaker cables are bi-wired Wireworld Equinox 5.x's. Come to think of it, for once in a very long time, I'm quite pleased with all of my components. I'm sure I'll be content for a while, but might have to add an Oppo Blu-Ray SE (DVD-Audio, SACD, etc.) edition someday soon. Seems like a great all around universal player for the money and since digital is not entirely my thing, this thing might just fit the bill.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:36:09 AM by save2600 »

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;546151
LOL.

Are you seriously trying to say lcds look as good as crts?

lets use photoshop magic to add an "lcd like" quality to this picture. Before:

After:

Note the very visible gap between the pixels, giving the appearence of a black grid. Note the lack of contrast, and how the backlighting is uneven.

Lets look at the lcd again, but at a slighty different angle:

wheee! and wait untill you play a game at lower than "native" resolution! it's lego time!
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;547611

wheee! and wait untill you play a game at lower than "native" resolution! it's lego time!

You need newer games or a better video card! ;)

Other than that, you are absolutely right.
LCD's have a huge size advantage, though.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »
Quote from: whabang;549939
You need newer games or a better video card!

Nope.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;547611
Are you seriously trying to say lcds look as good as crts?

No not really I was having a go at the crud that goes on in the audio industry to make money from audiophiles.  In context with rest of the post.

Actually our main TV is a panasonic 86" monster we got in 2004.  Had the choice of getting Plasma(LCDs were to small then) The picture quality is still superb.  If we had bought a plasma it would be screwed and due for replacement now.

But at the moment top end LED lit LCDs are pretty impressive.

gertsy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:34:52 PM by gertsy »