Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mr and Mrs Smith  (Read 2023 times)

Description:

Re: Mr and Mrs Smith
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 11:20:16 PM »
x-ray

I'd agree with that assessment.  Of the three movies I've seen recently, Smith is by far my favorite.

Wayne

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 11:25:37 PM »
Without a doubt, Wayne, that film just has it all. Best I've seen for a long time.

@ Cecilia

And don't forget the babe kicks arse most of the time. That's a definite plus for the ladies!

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 12:45:49 AM »

X-ray wrote:
Cecilia, you HAVE to see Mr and Mrs Smith. It would be criminal of you not to. It is worth ten Batmans. How much does it cost?
i don't know if i have $$ for Batman, but i'm much more impressed with the brilliant talent of christian bale than that mimbo brad poo poo.

i know you guys like women that "kick ass", but i really don't need to see that. all the women in my family are a billion times stronger than any hollywood female.

they all look strident and annoying.

which is not to say you can't enjoy this Smith film. go for it. not stopping you at all. it's just that i have to pick and choose and i pick The Dark Knight. (plus, Morgan Freeman - best american actor - is also in it. and i'd watch him read the phone book!)
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 01:21:19 AM »
plus, Morgan Freeman - best american actor - is also in it

And Michael Caine, the best British actor too!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 09:05:25 AM »

mdma wrote:

What about Gary Oldman?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 09:38:52 AM »

mdma wrote:

odin wrote:
Angelina Jolie? No, she's not. She has the lips of a glorified goldfish.

I take it you don't like big tits, gorgeous curves, and blowjobs then?

I like big tits, gorgeous curves and a pretty face.

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 12:49:08 PM »
@ Cecilia

"...i know you guys like women that "kick ass", but i really don't need to see that. all the women in my family are a billion times stronger than any hollywood female..."
-----------------------------------------------------------

:roll:

Well that isn't what I was getting at, but if you have relatives who regularly throw someone around the kitchen, shoot up the house and then ask them 'Who's your daddy now' I would like to meet them (even if they don't look like Angelina Jolie). I don't look like Brad Pitt, so maybe we would be even there. But if you like Christian Bale more than Brad Pitt, then that sells Batman for you. It is also a good film and you'll enjoy it more than Mr and Mrs Smith if that is the case.

Morgan Freeman is good, but he sticks to a formula, or a formula is attributed to him. I haven't seen any of his earlier films (prior to the 1980s) but if you look at his filmography you can see similarities in how he plays his roles. I think in that list (barring the odd one that I haven't seen) only his roles in Nurse Betty and Unforgiven have broken the Freeman Mould. He's even more formulaic than Sean Connery. See Sean Connery in Entrapment and that covers 80% of his acting gamut. The same applies to Morgan Freeman in Along Came a Spider. That covers 60% of his gamut and Outbreak covers almost all the rest. That's just my opinion of course  :-)
In terms of reading out names, I seem to recall that Rowan Atkinson had a stand-up routine that simply involved reading some names off a list, but its entertainment value was his facial expression and emphasis upon reading those names. If I had to listen to a list of names being read, I would probably choose Rowan Atkinson.

Edit : Maybe Angelina Jolie if we could get her to suck on an ice lolly intermittently. j/k

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 01:15:45 PM »

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

What about Gary Oldman?

Maybe he'll have that accolade when Caine pop's his clogs, then when Oldman dies I think Christoper Eccleston should have the honour.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 01:19:02 PM »

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

odin wrote:

Complete this popular phrase:-

"You don't look at the mantlepiece when you poke the xxxx" ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

odin wrote:

:lol:

But what about when the fire's not lit... or if you have friends around?

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 03:25:38 PM »
@X-ray:

Agreed about Morgan Freeman and his acting formula. His whole acting career could be summarized in this sentence: "Sunny-boy...let me tell you something...you know jack {bleep}.". :-) ...although it seems that the formula works, as Freeman nicely portrays authority, in most of his roles.

However I certainly don't understand what was so great about Mr. & Mrs. Smith? I saw it and to me it looked just like another hyped-up Hollywood a little bit of everything mainstream crapola. True, Angelina looked sexy, and so did Brad for the women, but that was it. In fact, I'd go so far in calling the movie a Brangelina slideshow and nothing more.

Batman was pretty good. Recommended! :-) Although, I still kind of like the 1989 Batman better.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 05:42:25 PM »

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

odin wrote:

:lol:

But what about when the fire's not lit... or if you have friends around?

Take the end that you like and share! ;-)

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 05:49:18 PM »

mdma wrote:

Frankly if I were lucky enough to be tending that fire, it would be with the lights on and my eyes wide open.

Don't go a bundle on her tattoos though, but each to their own.

Cecilia for President

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 06:20:04 PM »

PMC wrote:

mdma wrote:

Frankly if I were lucky enough to be tending that fire, it would be with the lights on and my eyes wide open.

.......and a DV cam in the corner recording it for posterity.

Plus the couple of million $$$ you'd make flogging it to the highest bidder would be nice too! ;-)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 06:51:18 PM »

X-ray wrote:
Well that isn't what I was getting at, but if you have relatives who regularly throw someone around the kitchen, shoot up the house and then ask them 'Who's your daddy now' I would like to meet them (even if they don't look like Angelina Jolie).

being "strong" has nothing to do with throwing people across the room. my grandmother never raised her voice or used curse words (unlike me  :-D  ) but she was tougher than anyone I've ever known. you could use words like "stubborn" and "willfull", but they pale in comparison to the real person. you would have see the brilliant intellect beaming out of her small body to begin to even get it.

sometimes it felt as if the walls in a room would pull back as she entered.

she knew where she stood and she took no prisoners.
i wish i could explain it, but i don't have the talent.
I don't look like Brad Pitt,

count your blessings. he's not All That.

Morgan Freeman is good, but he sticks to a formula, or a formula is attributed to him.

i guess you could look at it like that, but i don't care what film he's in, Morgan Freeman is totally convincing. I believe every word he says. the man is SMOOTH!

once i was flipping the dial (to use an old fashioned expression) and i came to a film i had never seen. i think it was "Johnny Handsome" or something like that. i was busy with something and just wanted noise. it was boring, really. blah blah blah.
then SUDDENDLY, Morgan Freeman comes on the screen (I had no idea he was in this film) and i'm rivited!!!
absolutely rivited. can't take my eyes off him. smooth a silk. he's got complete control over the scene without hogging it.
as soon as he's offscreen, the film falls apart again. boring.
and, yes, i thought what he did in Unforgiven is genius - but everything about that film is great. I saw that in the theater also. it's actually very rare for me to go out to see films.

another great film (which i went to the theater for) is "American Splendor" with the amazing Paul Giamatti - another great american actor!

In terms of reading out names, I seem to recall that Rowan Atkinson had a stand-up routine that simply involved reading some names off a list, but its entertainment value was his facial expression and emphasis upon reading those names. If I had to listen to a list of names being read, I would probably choose Rowan Atkinson.
he's brilliant. loved everything he does. Black Adder, bean, i even went to see his film (the bean one). i still cringe at the scene where he paints on the "mona Lisa" Oh, my god, that hurt!  :-o
man is he funny.:roflmao:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 29, 2005, 01:35:33 PM »

mdma wrote:
.......and a DV cam in the corner recording it for posterity.

Plus the couple of million $$$ you'd make flogging it to the highest bidder would be nice too! ;-)

Probably not a good idea, I wouldn't want anyone watching the recording to know just how brief my moment of intimacy with Ms Jolie would be, for I'm not ashamed to admit that it's be all over in seconds.
Cecilia for President