Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: British musicians?  (Read 3200 times)

Description:

Offline Wilse

Re: British musicians?
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 04, 2005, 01:34:19 PM »
No doubt about it, the 80s had some excellent stuff.

New Order, Stone Roses, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, U2, etc, etc, all produced some excellent stuff in the 80s.

Having said that, it's probably my least favourite decade for "the charts" but I never pay much attention to them anyway.

I'm listening to "The Clash - London Calling," just now. 1979. One the best albums ever.
One of my mates bought me it on vinyl (not an easy task) and a Kasabian concert ticket, as a thank you for DJing at his wedding.

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2005, 01:53:11 PM »

Wilse wrote:
No doubt about it, the 80s had some excellent stuff.

New Order, Stone Roses, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, U2, etc, etc, all produced some excellent stuff in the 80s.

Having said that, it's probably my least favourite decade for "the charts" but I never pay much attention to them anyway.

I'm listening to "The Clash - London Calling," just now. 1979. One the best albums ever.
One of my mates bought me it on vinyl (not an easy task) and a Kasabian concert ticket, as a thank you for DJing at his wedding.

Cool gift!

Promise me that you weren't like the wedding DJ that Peter Kay talks about in his standup routine! ;-)

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2005, 02:55:26 PM »
@X-Ray

Yeah, I know.  I was utterly shocked that I was the suspect and immediately defended myself without reading the rest of the thread :-P

I have some 80s stuff but it's mainly metal (Maiden, Ozzy, Bathory, Metallica) although I do have one "poppy" 80s CD that gets played a lot: Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime :-D

--edit--
@mdma

You mean the one in the John Smith's adverts? (The Adverts - Annie)  There's actually 2 of the ads with the DJ, but the second part isn't up yet.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
@ mdma

Ja, it usually reflects on a time when the dude liked what was playing on the radio. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing because I only listened to SA radio ever (don't listen to UK radio). Don't listen to any radio really. I've got one packed away and I just haven't had any great urge to take it out.

Ja the 80s is what I like mainly. But every now-and-then something else comes along that I like.
And I have my weirdness...I bet I'm the only sumbish here who has a Nancy Sinatra CD :-)

Offline Wilse

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2005, 08:01:19 PM »
@mdma:

Cool gift!

Certainly was.

Promise me that you weren't like the wedding DJ that Peter Kay talks about in his standup routine!

It was a one off. I've never DJed at a wedding before and am not likely to again.
The only reason I did this one was because the guy getting married is the guy I record with and even then there were conditions attached.
I insisted that he chose a playlist, with a list of songs for me to choose from and that if anyone complained about the tunes, I'd refer them to him.

As for being like Peter Kaye's guy, would he have finished with "What the World is Waiting For" by the Stone Roses? ;-)

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »

Wilse wrote:
@mdma:

Cool gift!

Certainly was.

Promise me that you weren't like the wedding DJ that Peter Kay talks about in his standup routine!

It was a one off. I've never DJed at a wedding before and am not likely to again.
The only reason I did this one was because the guy getting married is the guy I record with and even then there were conditions attached.
I insisted that he chose a playlist, with a list of songs for me to choose from and that if anyone complained about the tunes, I'd refer them to him.

As for being like Peter Kaye's guy, would he have finished with "What the World is Waiting For" by the Stone Roses? ;-)

:lol:

Did you mix the tunes or just drop 'em in?

Offline Wilse

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 07:48:08 PM »
@mdma:

Did you mix the tunes or just drop 'em in?

I was using hired CD decks so mixing wasn't really an option.*
Receptionist at the hotel still said it was best wedding music she'd ever heard.

Which was nice. :-)

*I normally use vinyl.

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2005, 11:59:10 PM »

Wilse wrote:

*I normally use vinyl.

:lol:

Weird how noone ever admits to using only CD's, well apart from people who are sh!t at mixing that is! :-D

I had to laugh at some bloke mixing with a laptop and mp3's in a bar a few months ago.  He was dire.

There should be a law for employment of dj's, even if you do use CD's and mp3's on the night, if you can't use vinyl correctly, you shouldn't be playing at all!  :pissed:  ;-)

Offline Wilse

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »
@mdma:

I tried to reply to this last night but the piece of kiech PC i was
using keeled over.
Finally got my Peg reconfigured to my new ADSL provider. :-)

That wedding was the first time I've ever used CDs to DJ with.

Last month at Chakra I used CDs again but only two and with good
reason.
1. I was planning playing "Guns of Brixton" but my vinyl copy of "The
Story of the Clash" is a bit crackly, so I took my London Calling CD.
(Won't have to do that again. :-))

2. I played one of our tracks to see how the crowd would react.
Naturally, I don't have this on vinyl, so hadto use a CD.

Other than that, I always use records.

As for mixing mp3s, have you seen Final Scratch?
I have to confess to wanting that. You get two slabs of time-coded
vinyl, each of which can be assigned to an mp3 on your laptop. You can
then control the mp3s by hand, via the vinyl - genius.
The best bit is it works almost like real vinyl.

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2005, 05:22:51 PM »
Oooh yes, Fianl Scratch.

Looks very nice indeed.I saw a video of someone using it once and it was excellent.

Just a tad pricey though. :-(

Offline Wilse

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2005, 04:43:13 PM »
Just a tad pricey though

The only reason I don't have it already.