Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien-VS-Predator, 1.5/4 stars. Weak, unimaginative and sanitised.  (Read 1130 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
My fears after hearing of the PG-13 rating were correct. I won't give the plot or storyline away, but lets just say the violence in the movie won't scare anyone over 6 years of age. The way the story wraps up is completely unbelievable and dumb, of course at the very end they leve you with the impression there will be a AVP2.

I wouldn't give this movie an F, more like a D+ or C-. 1.5 stars out of 4. It has it's moments, but they are few and far between. I recomend waiting for a rental or for it to hit cable. It's not worth the ~$8.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline ltstanfo

• Show only replies by ltstanfo
Re: Alien-VS-Predator, 1.5/4 stars. Weak, unimaginative and sanitised.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 02:19:59 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
I wouldn't give this movie an F, more like a D+ or C-. 1.5 stars out of 4. It has it's moments, but they are few and far between. I recomend waiting for a rental or for it to hit cable. It's not worth the ~$8.

I cannot completely agree with you Red. I saw the movie over the weekend and while I agree that 1.5 stars out of 4 is about right, I would probably grade the film more of a C+ or B-.  The story is weak although I found the premise quite interesting (but sadly the premise was only biefly covered at one point in the film).  There is also a VERY "inside" joke in the film that goes all the way back to the days of "Dark Star" and this too was lost on almost everyone in the theater.

Most people seem to think that this film is supposed to be scary and this has never been the case.  None of the earlier Preditor / Alien films were scary, they were just sci-fi action movies.

I think it is worth a matinee price but I agree with Red that you should not spend full price on seeing this film.

Regards,
ltstanfo
Gee Brain... what do you want to do tonight?

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 02:28:35 PM »
I'm a Predator fan. After seeing the AvP movie, I too was  dissapointed, however I kind of prepared myself for a dissapointment.

The movie itself is pretty short. There is no character development in the movie whatsoever. You get this..."team"...which was quickly bundled up together, and there is nothing special about any of them, like for example there's no Arnie. :-)

The movie is basically about a bunch of fight scenes between Predators and Aliens, and that's it. The makers of the movie simply wanted to rush into fight sequences, without properly creating suspense, or anything really scary for that matter. Hey, ever wondered what it would look like if Alien battled the Predator? Well, here it is. Roar, squeek! Slash, shkwhhhh! Whoks!!! Just remember how cool and scary it was in the original Predator movie, when Dutch tried to walk out from the bushes to act as bait, then he turned back, and the trap behind him suddenly snapped and went up with the Predator in it? The whole scene was sooo cool and full of suspense, thrill, and anticipation, that made your skin crawl. Not to mention that there's not a single moment in the movie that is remotely as cool as the mini-gun scene in P1. Saaaaargeeent! :-)

Let's just say that Predator 2 was a far  better movie! :lol:

And another thing. Predators were supposed to pick HOT areas on earth, when hunting, so that they could SEE their pray. How can they magically see, all of a sudden in such cold temperatures? There was a reason why Predator arrived in the hot jungle and hot L.A. in parts 1 and 2. They've completely disregarded this fact in AvP.

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 02:43:25 PM »
Most people seem to think that this film is supposed to be scary and this has never been the case. None of the earlier Preditor / Alien films were scary, they were just sci-fi action movies.

Huh :-? I gotta disagree with you completely on this point. The earlier movies were Sci-Fi for sure, but were also borderline horror. Scary indeed. Think of Arnie covered in mud as the Predator stands feet away from him scanning with IR over the area. Think of the bodies skinned and hung upsidedown. Think of the little girl scared s***less in the water as the alien comes up behind her. Good edge of your seat stuff. AVP is about as frightening as watching WWF wrestling or a rated E "for Everyone" videogame. The premise is neat, but it is ripped from a comic book, and I'd bet the comic was bloodier. The characters themselves are pale imitations of the creatures from the earlier movies.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline ltstanfo

• Show only replies by ltstanfo
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 04:04:28 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Most people seem to think that this film is supposed to be scary and this has never been the case. None of the earlier Preditor / Alien films were scary, they were just sci-fi action movies.

Huh :-? I gotta disagree with you completely on this point. The earlier movies were Sci-Fi for sure, but were also borderline horror. Scary indeed.

Well, to each their own.  I have never found any of the alien or preditor movies to be scary..sure, there were "suspenseful moments" but that was about it.  My definition of scary / horror are films like the original "Poltergeist" or "Ghost Story" where your mind is constantly being messed around with.  To me, the Alien and Preditor films are action packed sci-fi with "suspenseful moments" and increasing amounts of gore.  Not to say that this is bad (I personally like the original Preditor and Aliens 2 the best).  They just weren't "scary" to me so when I went to see AVP, I wasn't expecting this movie to be scary either.

I have no problem admitting that the creators of this film really rushed things and RUINED several great opportunities to "backfill" alot of information on the history of the Alien series (Weylan Corp, etc...). I also agree with the other poster that this film is nothing more then Aliens and Preditors fighting each other but even the previews made this obvious so again, I have to ask...what was supposed to be scary about this movie (not trolling here...just trying to reinforce my statement that the earlier Alien and Preditor movies were not scary)?   :-?

Regards,
Ltstanfo :-?
Gee Brain... what do you want to do tonight?

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 04:52:17 PM »
I would just say never having seen any of the Alien sequels or the one predator sequel. I saw the first Alien when I was very young. It made me scared and gave me nightmares. Of course I was 10 years old DUH! No films give me that feel anymore especially sequels.

I would just say that I loved this movie enough to go see it two times on my own. The movie was about an hour and a half long which is more than long enough for a fight between aliens and predators. I found the background of the "Predator" much more exciting and intriguing and I found the ties to Weyland Inc. very understandable and that there was a lot of visual queueing in it as well that the posters here obviously missed.

I don't think of this as an Alien sequel and I am glad it's not. I hope they do a second movie that fills us in on more things. I like the new relatively unknown cast members in it a lot. It was a lot like Jurassic Park (but with aliens and predators)..

You miss a lot if you don't see it more than one time. Especially about how they link the predators and aliens to earth's civillization.. I think I am going out and getting all the alien sequels on DVD now and watching them because I liked this movie so much..

I think the posters set their bars too high to what they were expecting because this has all been done before. It's easy to slam a movie because it's not the storyline you are used to seeing. But I loved it for what it was. I think the new female star is just as interesting and maybe more sexy than Ripley..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 12:26:26 AM »
Weak, unimaginative and sanitised.

Its a Hollywood film!
I like Amigas

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 05:43:20 AM »
Greetings,

I have not seen it and I don't plan to. I'd rather read the comic book version of 'BATMAN vs. PREDATOR'. It's almost like P2 but the character here is 'BATMAN' himself.

Another one in the flop list no doubt.

Regards,

Gizz
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Gojirax

• Show only replies by Gojirax
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:22:06 PM »
The first Alient movie WAS in fact a horror movie. The rest were action movies. It was just a SCI-FI Horror Movie.

That's too bad about AVP, I liked the comics.