Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien-VS-Predator, 1.5/4 stars. Weak, unimaginative and sanitised.  (Read 1146 times)

Description:

Offline ltstanfo

• Show all replies

redrumloa wrote:
I wouldn't give this movie an F, more like a D+ or C-. 1.5 stars out of 4. It has it's moments, but they are few and far between. I recomend waiting for a rental or for it to hit cable. It's not worth the ~$8.

I cannot completely agree with you Red. I saw the movie over the weekend and while I agree that 1.5 stars out of 4 is about right, I would probably grade the film more of a C+ or B-.  The story is weak although I found the premise quite interesting (but sadly the premise was only biefly covered at one point in the film).  There is also a VERY "inside" joke in the film that goes all the way back to the days of "Dark Star" and this too was lost on almost everyone in the theater.

Most people seem to think that this film is supposed to be scary and this has never been the case.  None of the earlier Preditor / Alien films were scary, they were just sci-fi action movies.

I think it is worth a matinee price but I agree with Red that you should not spend full price on seeing this film.

Regards,
ltstanfo
Gee Brain... what do you want to do tonight?

Offline ltstanfo

• Show all replies
Re: Alien-VS-Predator, 1.5/4 stars. Weak, unimaginative and sanitised.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 04:04:28 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Most people seem to think that this film is supposed to be scary and this has never been the case. None of the earlier Preditor / Alien films were scary, they were just sci-fi action movies.

Huh :-? I gotta disagree with you completely on this point. The earlier movies were Sci-Fi for sure, but were also borderline horror. Scary indeed.

Well, to each their own.  I have never found any of the alien or preditor movies to be scary..sure, there were "suspenseful moments" but that was about it.  My definition of scary / horror are films like the original "Poltergeist" or "Ghost Story" where your mind is constantly being messed around with.  To me, the Alien and Preditor films are action packed sci-fi with "suspenseful moments" and increasing amounts of gore.  Not to say that this is bad (I personally like the original Preditor and Aliens 2 the best).  They just weren't "scary" to me so when I went to see AVP, I wasn't expecting this movie to be scary either.

I have no problem admitting that the creators of this film really rushed things and RUINED several great opportunities to "backfill" alot of information on the history of the Alien series (Weylan Corp, etc...). I also agree with the other poster that this film is nothing more then Aliens and Preditors fighting each other but even the previews made this obvious so again, I have to ask...what was supposed to be scary about this movie (not trolling here...just trying to reinforce my statement that the earlier Alien and Preditor movies were not scary)?   :-?

Regards,
Ltstanfo :-?
Gee Brain... what do you want to do tonight?