Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: netbsd http, ftp, telnet server on amiga 4000, and about ethernet cards  (Read 4550 times)

Description:

Offline Desmon

• Show all replies
@smok3

yeah, any comments on the os for the project? i plan to use amiga 4000/040 for the apache, some ftp daemon (which one?) and some telnet access (what server?),

and the most important, where to get an ethernet card that will support such setup and would plug into d-link router corectly? any comments welcome :)

Last question first. For ethernet, you can have a C= 4065 (very rare) 2065 (old, but reliable) Ariadne (rare) or an X-Surf. None of these will do greater than 10Mbit. All but the X-Surf are obsolete and would have to be bought secondhand. The X-Surf can be bought online at Jens' Site and all will need a third party TCP stack. Only one TCP stack (Miami) will handle the DHCP needed by your cable modem, and it can no longer be purchased.

As for the rest of the stuff, most of it is available as public domain software, except maybe the telnet server. I can't offer any advice in this regard as I haven't played with telnet on the Amiga in quite some years.

Try asking the guys at Sixgirls Computing Labs. They run an A4000/060 as a web server. SIXGIRLS
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline Desmon

• Show all replies

Only one TCP stack (Miami) will handle the DHCP needed by your cable modem, and it can no longer be purchased.

would that mean i cant use netbsd stack? or can i use amiga&miami prior to booting to netbsd?

Whoever wrote that was a bit confused- under NetBSD, it's all handled by NetBSD, and dhclient is certainly a part of the base install. That would apply to the Amiga side of things, of course... but if you've got a Linksys box or similar, you could always put the machine on the static "DMZ" address behind the NAT.

Sorry about all the nested quotes, but if you read the original question, there's NO mention of NetBSD at all. I simply thought he was trying to run it all under AmigaOS.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!