Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS for the X1000  (Read 9461 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
Re: OS for the X1000
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;653089
I disagree. I don't think the X1000 was aimed at revolutionizing the Amiga platform i think it is aimed at a select few people who want one to support their favorite hobby.

You're actually not disagreeing with tmhgm, you're just wording it differently.

As you say, the X1000 is aimed at a "select few people" (that are willing to pay 2000 bucks for an outdated desktop computer as long as it runs AmigaOS). How many of those people are out there? 100? 200? 300? That's not a future, that's a dead end. Not to mention that even if there would be more customers, there are no more CPUs...

As for it being a 'failure' that is a matter of opinion. With a guaranteed sales of 100% for all boards being made i would definitely call that a success.

For the manufacturer, yes. But what about OS4? How long have we been waiting for USB2 support? A decent 2D/3D graphics system? A filemanager that is not a joke? Some sort of concept for the whole desktop environment that goes beyond "let's try another icon set"? A web browser that doesn't suck?

There are lots of things in OS4 that urgently need improvements. Instead, the dev team is working on a port to some very expensive niche hardware.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;653200
Rogue has stated on Amigaworld.net that there will be a follow-up CPU after the PA-Semi one

Read it again - he's not stating anything, he's asking a question to shut somebody up. Doesn't mean anything.

My last information was that Trevor Dickinson himself doesn't have a clue what the next step - if any - wil be after the x1000. Perhaps Rogue simply didn't tell him yet ;)

They are not working on the port *instead* on working on the other, urgent features:

I could argue your points (USB real soon now? honestly?) or make a 2nd and 3rd list with severe shortcomings in OS4. But I won't, because I actually like the product and don't want to end up bashing it. You're using it yourself, I guess you have a pretty good idea about the most urgent problems.

Are you really claiming the OS4 team doesn't lack manpower? That it could easily compensate the loss of the dozen or so skilled and experienced developers who lost interest since the project was started and start porting the OS to a hardware that's going to sell (a lot) less copies than the classic version?

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Quote from: dammy;653545
Exactly which AOS source codes were used in OS4?

DOS, Intuition, Graphics, the GUI system(s), Workbench, Shell and pretty much all other core components, except Exec.

I'm interested to hear exactly what Amiga Inc IP was used in what portion of OS4.

I'm guessing, DOS was used in... (thinks very hard...) DOS maybe? I don't get that question.