Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who's getting the Tabor?  (Read 4069 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Who's getting the Tabor?
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
Quote from: carvedeye;821736
If £400 is the price that they are retailing at when they are available I know I will be getting 1 as it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the x5000 :)

And...a lot less capable, which is why I prefer the latter. :)
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Quote from: JimmiG;821785
The thing is, most people already have powerful x86 boxes (more powerful than the X5000 in fact) for demanding tasks such as gaming, rendering, scientific calculations or whatever, and only want an AmigaOS system as a secondary box. The small size and equally tiny power consumption are actually advantages then, and performance isn't crucial as long as it runs AmigaOS apps at decent speed and can display most standard websites.

Indeed, until AmigaOS gains 64-bit and multi core support, the additional power is mostly wasted (you can run Linux, but then again, you can run Linux on your cheap 5 GHz overclocked quad-core x86 CPU with that GTX 1080 and 32 GB of RAM, too).

I don't see that as a legitimate excuse to buy something with that weak a cpu.
And the fact that it won't be able to upgrade to a 64bit OS (should we ever see that) is hardly a selling point.
Also, if the 31 bit memory limitation is lifted, then you've only got 4GB of address space (leaving abou 3.5 GB after I/O is considered)..
Further, I have X64 hardware, but still use alternative hardware.
I just don't think its such a hot idea to buy something with less performance than an over 15 year old G4 PowerMac.

Its got a PCIe slot? Will that matter when even a moderately powerful video card will be bottlenecked by the cpu?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
Quote from: utri007;821794
This is who is getting Tabor thread, not a "who is NOT getting Tabor" thread. You are free start one yourself.

Ah...censorship.
I was simply replying to the comment about pricing.
Its kind of like getting a pair of polyester pants from Kmart at a good price.
If you're really unlucky they'll give you two for the same price.

BTW - a negative reply is just as valid as your positive replies (and in my opinion, quite a bit more sensible).
If you're two cheap to buy an X5000, why not buy a Raspberry Pi?

Everyone here keeps mentioning that as well.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
Quote from: utri007;821800
No censorship would be that you are not allowed to post. I suggested that you start your own thread, with those who doesn't want to buy Tabor. Your posts are OT

I have some thirty Computers in my house. Only few of them are Amigas.

Its a valid point, if it helps, once I obtain the X5000, Tabor could be an option if I find OS4 interesting.
I don't anticipate a MorphOS port for Tabor, so I'd have to find OS4 more appealing than I do from my meager exposure to it.

And I don't think I have thirty systems here (I sell off whatever I'm not currently exploring) - but I have a pretty diverse group of systems myself.

And as I may attend AmiWest this year, I promise not to dump on Tabor (too much). I don't want to piss off Trevor, he's been very good to us.
Quote from: utri007;821801
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUg-6I9cizo

Radeon HD 6450 and Sam 440ep Flex. This is to demostrate, what kind of difference Graphics card do.

Nice. I have an HD 6450 I pulled from a Lenovo SFF system that died. I guess I'll hold on to that in case...
Unlike the 4550 it replaced, its got hdmi output which was useful as I had it tied to an HD television.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:16:29 PM by Iggy »

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
Quote from: Rob;822130
The A1200 case needs to be deeper of the Tabor simply wont fit let alone the video card.  Found this project on EAB.  

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=724498&postcount=8

Nice design. Is he actually moving forward to make these?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;822259
I apologize for going completely off topic here...

@Iggy, I coincidentally got an email stating that Big Trouble In Little China Vol. 5 had been released!  Had no idea it was even being released as comic books!  Saw your sig at the same time...

Thanks!

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
Quote from: JimmiG;822480

The Tabor,...should be able to run AOS4 perfectly *today*...

So far, we have NOT seen Tabor running OS4 software that has not been specifically compiled for its non-standard fpu.
So, when it is seen running OS4 "perfectly", then I'll believe that claim.
Right now, if I could find one, I'd buy a SAM460 in preference.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
Quote from: PR;835903
A bit more modern yes. Also the new have memory, GFX and Drive speeds that are far better  than in this XE G4 case. Both still lack the todo with.

When IB and others come I'll get the new MUI and Magellan and start playing again. It is Really fun Amiga things. Bought this for some more power needing Classic programs and for the future ones.  Most classics didn't run.

Back then this should have been an expansion to the A1200.

Offcourse USB, DVI and Memory and others come so it's more modern Amiga OS. Hundreds of Gigabytes of HD/SD in an Amiga. Yes Please.

With the PIV , King Of The GFX Cards couldn't use DPVI for example, neither with the XE so had to go back as any other program just isn't for me. Many others. In Games like Payback.

Still waiting.. So my point was the proggies. Would it be Tabor or X10000.

What's an X10000? ;-)

Tabor support might be completed this year.
If you all are lucky it will be ready by AmiWest 2018.

Beyond the issues with the cpu, the limited expansion capabilities put me off
Once a video card is installed you are out of expansion slots.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:14:46 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;835926
Question keeps interesting which will be first: Tabor with OS4 or MorphOS3.10.
Both are way overdue.

Yes, the delay on both is getting a bit much.
3.10 was demo'd at AmiWest last year, and we all know Tabor has been ready for some time.
But the MorphOS team won't release 3.10 until they are happy with it, and Hyperion has to finish the OS4 port for Tabor before Aeon will sell that.

Further, since you can't plug a network card into Tabor or any other expansion card, ALL the drivers have to be ready when shipped.