Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who's getting the Tabor?  (Read 4017 times)

Description:

Offline robo-ant

• Show only replies by robo-ant
Re: Who's getting the Tabor?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
I'll get one if the price is right and the performance is significantly better than that of my Sam440.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
I wanted one, but if the price I recently read of 400euro is correct then my interest has significantly dwindled.
Pretty much rhetorical, and voiced out of frustration, but why is it every man and his dog, unless the word "Amiga" is involved seem to be able to produce obscure, and cheap machines, even when in small runs?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;821376
I wanted one, but if the price I recently read of 400euro is correct then my interest has significantly dwindled.
Pretty much rhetorical, and voiced out of frustration, but why is it every man and his dog, unless the word "Amiga" is involved seem to be able to produce obscure, and cheap machines, even when in small runs?

I'll never understand the OS4 mentality.  They're fanatical about buying hardware that performs on par with systems from 15 years ago at prices from the year 2025....and an OS that has rough feature parity with Windows 98.

Offline Rob

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 02:56:23 AM »

It's not terrible if that's the price for a complete system but if it's for just the motherboard then it's still better than the cheapest Sam460cr and you also don't have the extra cost of audio and a SATA cards.  If it's due in October you could put €50 aside each month until then and then decide if it 's worth the €400 sat in a spare bank account.

What hardware are you specifically thinking of?

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »

€400 is actually not bad at all for a small batch of a custom designed motherboard. I don't know of any "obscure", but cheap boards with similar power. The Raspberry Pi has sold 10 million units, so I wouldn't call that obscure.

People blame the PowerPC CPU, but the real cost is not the CPU (especially with Tabor), its the custom-designed board. There are cheap credit-card sized ARM SoC boards, but if you want a custom design with PCI-E slots, expandable memory etc., it's going to cost:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/gigabyte-mp30-ar0-9mp30ar0mr-00-a1297380.html

x86 would of course be the cheapest option, even if they had to limit it to certain chipsets and CPUs. However with Hyperion taking until October to get AmigaOS running on just another PPC board, I wouldn't expect an x86 port within our lifetimes...If they started now, the "pre-release" Preview version would come out some time around the year 2085...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:01:39 AM by JimmiG »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »

I hear ya.  I'll never understand the OS4 user mentality.  They're fanatical about paying 2025 prices for hardware that performs on par with systems from 2003 with an OS that has rough feature-parity with Windows 98.

Offline icbrkr

• Show only replies by icbrkr
    • http://www.amigacd32.com
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »
I plan on ordering one as soon as the preorders happen.  400 euros is roughly $450 US which isn't a lot for a custom motherboard with a OS ported to it. I've been wanting to pick up an Amiga 4.x system for sometime, but have no interest in putting out 2K+ on a x1000/x5000.
Project: CD32 http://www.amigacd32.com | Project: Particles! BBS http://www.particles.org

Offline utri007

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 07:31:03 PM »
I'm getting one when they get availlable.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
If £400 is the price that they are retailing at when they are available I know I will be getting 1 as it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the x5000 :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
I suspect an ooodle of Tabor will sell as the price appears to be much cheaper than X1K and X5K and this should help unlock bringing many back to the Amiga OS that want a faster experience than the older Classic hardware can do.  

Great things are happening in Amiga-land.  X5K, A1222 (Tabor), Vampire.

Now hoping Amiga OS 4.2 comes before I go bald.  :hammer:

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 12:49:38 AM »
I would love to purchase one. Just point at a place that will sell me one. Finally a 4.x motherboard that doesn't break the bank, runs at decent resolutions and with decent speed
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline asymetrix

• Show only replies by asymetrix
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »
2 years to port to Tabor is a shambles.

There are so many cheap ARM boards - I cannot believe Hyperion have not contacted any to create some cheap Amiga based systems.
ARM 1 Ghz, 1GB PCIe, USB £180.

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/VIA/VAB-820/?qs=noSWugIXIHr2GDYJY2Aq5w==

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
Quote from: carvedeye;821736
If £400 is the price that they are retailing at when they are available I know I will be getting 1 as it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the x5000 :)

And...a lot less capable, which is why I prefer the latter. :)
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Rob

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
Quote from: asymetrix;821746
2 years to port to Tabor is a shambles.

There are so many cheap ARM boards - I cannot believe Hyperion have not contacted any to create some cheap Amiga based systems.
ARM 1 Ghz, 1GB PCIe, USB £180.

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/VIA/VAB-820/?qs=noSWugIXIHr2GDYJY2Aq5w==

A port to this or similar hardware would take longer than Tabor.  You're talking about a port to a different CPU architecture, completely new video hardware and a bunch of new I/O.

A lot of driver code for the X5000 can be re-used for the Tabor support.  Aside from support for the e500mc core the only additional drivers needed are for the onboard audio and the network, the driver for which will also work on the X5000.

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;821748
And...a lot less capable, which is why I prefer the latter. :)

The thing is, most people already have powerful x86 boxes (more powerful than the X5000 in fact) for demanding tasks such as gaming, rendering, scientific calculations or whatever, and only want an AmigaOS system as a secondary box. The small size and equally tiny power consumption are actually advantages then, and performance isn't crucial as long as it runs AmigaOS apps at decent speed and can display most standard websites.

Indeed, until AmigaOS gains 64-bit and multi core support, the additional power is mostly wasted (you can run Linux, but then again, you can run Linux on your cheap 5 GHz overclocked quad-core x86 CPU with that GTX 1080 and 32 GB of RAM, too).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:41:29 PM by JimmiG »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 08, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Quote from: JimmiG;821785
The thing is, most people already have powerful x86 boxes (more powerful than the X5000 in fact) for demanding tasks such as gaming, rendering, scientific calculations or whatever, and only want an AmigaOS system as a secondary box. The small size and equally tiny power consumption are actually advantages then, and performance isn't crucial as long as it runs AmigaOS apps at decent speed and can display most standard websites.

Indeed, until AmigaOS gains 64-bit and multi core support, the additional power is mostly wasted (you can run Linux, but then again, you can run Linux on your cheap 5 GHz overclocked quad-core x86 CPU with that GTX 1080 and 32 GB of RAM, too).

I don't see that as a legitimate excuse to buy something with that weak a cpu.
And the fact that it won't be able to upgrade to a 64bit OS (should we ever see that) is hardly a selling point.
Also, if the 31 bit memory limitation is lifted, then you've only got 4GB of address space (leaving abou 3.5 GB after I/O is considered)..
Further, I have X64 hardware, but still use alternative hardware.
I just don't think its such a hot idea to buy something with less performance than an over 15 year old G4 PowerMac.

Its got a PCIe slot? Will that matter when even a moderately powerful video card will be bottlenecked by the cpu?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"