Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: POLL: What is the most viable Amiga platform for *you*?  (Read 12511 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
Re: POLL: What is the most viable Amiga platform for *you*?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »
I chose Classic, but all flavors of Amiga are of interest.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
Had to think about this one for a while.

At first I was tempted to put down Minimig, but in truth I suspect the long term future of the platform will likely be virtual, which is why I picked UAE.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
Depends what is meant by viable.   I'm currently building a new classic AGA machine but that doesn't mean I consider it a viable platform, it's just the only one I'm really interested in.

I was getting interested in OS4 after Hyperion won their long running legal last year but since that time its opportunity to become a viable platform has been waning (along with my interest).

Although MorphOS looks very nice, I don't think it will ever become viable as a PPC based OS running on second-hand HW and a move to x86 will be very costly and will therefore probably never happen.

Obviously UAE (eg emulated Classic OS 3.x including FPGA reproductions) will be around for a long time and will probably end up out lasting the next gen boys ;)

The classic market is actually doing 'ok' with enough new interesting HW and software getting released or being updated to take advantage of the new HW.

I think AROS is the only one which really stands a chance to considerably grow its user-base and become a (somewhat) viable computer platform (as in 1% market share at best).  

The trouble that all of these Amiga like operating systems face is that the computer world is constantly moving forward and by the time AROS gets to same level of performance/stability/usability as UBUNTU today (which might take another 5 years at this rate), we’ll all be using Cloud based OS’s like Google Chrome OS
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:48:11 PM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »
Voted AmigaOS 4
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
I think it says a lot the Classic is currently leading this poll ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
I own only classics, but I voted morphOS as it seems the only modern Amiga OS I can touch with my money, and cos I like butterflies :lol:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:59:47 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »
AROS on my x86/x86-64 hardware and AROS on UAE... And possibly AROS on a Replay/MiniMig clone if AGA is available.

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
This was a difficult one for me to vote on. In the end I chose Aros and here is my logic (or lack there of)...

I really love the Classic machines and have a home full of the stuff to prove it. The fact is though that the world is marching on and my classic hardware and software is less and less capable in many ways when compared to what is here today and what is coming in the future. Having said that, I still almost voted for classic on the basis that I'm hopeful that Aros68K might give the opportunity to do some of the things many of us have longed to be able to do with our classic systems.

In the end I voted Aros, because I find myself traveling fairly often and it's just too difficult to cart along a classic system (No thanks to airline baggage fees). With Aros I can carry my laptop anywhere in the world and still have that special Amiga experience.

Now in all fairness, I also carry WinUAE with me and I'm quite happy with my experiences with that.

I don't have any experience with it, but I think MorphOS is something that I could gravitate towards quite easily. It looks nice, seems well thought out, has a good selection of features and some very knowledgeable people behind it. Problem is that for some reason, I just can't bring myself to plunk down money for MorphOS and the hardware needed to run it.

On the hardware options, fact is I'm a hardware guy. I enjoy working with computers, hardware and software. I enjoy designing and building projects both for my work and home. However, It is really difficult for me to see many "justifiable" reasons for getting on-board with many of the NG hardware projects because they are all too obscure in their own way. I'm not saying I oppose these projects and in fact I would encourage them. They are great fun for the developers and the communities that form around them. I'm just saying that most are little more than a hobby and will never bring to fruition what more so "mainstream" hardware has and can. I guess I'd prefer to make the wheel better, rather than reinventing it.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:39 AM »
I voted minimig / other as I'm quite interested in the replay.

Long term I'm inclined to agree that it's UEA but people also like hardware.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
voted classic, though use winuae if need be, and most dedicated to aros68k atm. 68k all along.

edit:see natami and fpga arcade (if it gains fast enough softcore)  as future option.

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 02:03:45 AM »
Voted Other as Natami and reply will be the way to go, but having said that and having a few classic i like classic and love to play around with them. Also I like WinUae (multiple choice) :D
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;612004
This was a difficult one for me to vote on. In the end I chose Aros and here is my logic (or lack there of)...

I really love the Classic machines and have a home full of the stuff to prove it. The fact is though that the world is marching on and my classic hardware and software is less and less capable in many ways when compared to what is here today and what is coming in the future. Having said that, I still almost voted for classic on the basis that I'm hopeful that Aros68K might give the opportunity to do some of the things many of us have longed to be able to do with our classic systems.

In the end I voted Aros, because I find myself traveling fairly often and it's just too difficult to cart along a classic system (No thanks to airline baggage fees). With Aros I can carry my laptop anywhere in the world and still have that special Amiga experience.

Now in all fairness, I also carry WinUAE with me and I'm quite happy with my experiences with that.

I don't have any experience with it, but I think MorphOS is something that I could gravitate towards quite easily. It looks nice, seems well thought out, has a good selection of features and some very knowledgeable people behind it. Problem is that for some reason, I just can't bring myself to plunk down money for MorphOS and the hardware needed to run it.

On the hardware options, fact is I'm a hardware guy. I enjoy working with computers, hardware and software. I enjoy designing and building projects both for my work and home. However, It is really difficult for me to see many "justifiable" reasons for getting on-board with many of the NG hardware projects because they are all too obscure in their own way. I'm not saying I oppose these projects and in fact I would encourage them. They are great fun for the developers and the communities that form around them. I'm just saying that most are little more than a hobby and will never bring to fruition what more so "mainstream" hardware has and can. I guess I'd prefer to make the wheel better, rather than reinventing it.

Regards,
AmigaEd

geeze Ed you stole my whole freaking post!

in other words +1
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;612036
geeze Ed you stole my whole freaking post!

in other words +1

LoL... I never did know when to shut up!:roflmao:
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »
Voted classic as that's what I'm concentrating on at the moment. I have two silent upgrade Mac Mini's, one of which has dual boot OSX and MOS (which I have not really done anything with yet). I'm really looking forward the ACA520. Also really looking forward to a possible new PPC accelerator to run OS4.x on classic. BTW, just got my MiniMegi and Indivision ECS installed in the A500 (did the 2MB chip mod to add the trap door 512MB to chip mem). The A1200 still needs lots of attention too! Alot of aspirations for a guy that has no time! HeHe.
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline EWS

• Show only replies by EWS
    • http://www.sabrina-online.com
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 05:40:23 AM »
Currently I use classic Amiga and MorphOS in near-equal parts. For my purposes I voted MorphOS, as IMO it's a good balance of 'modern' OS features blended with 'legacy' feel and compatibilty. If it was about future potential though, I'd think AROS by its nature would be most likely of the bunch to rise above "one of the Amiga-style OSes" to "alternative OS" on a larger stage.

Offline robo-ant

• Show only replies by robo-ant
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 03, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
I voted for AmigaOS4 because I have already 'bought in' and have been comfortable with the OS and my Sam for a couple of years now.

Long term depends on if/when any new core features arrive (SMP, memory protection and whatnot).  If the platform doesn't advance I think the most viable choice in the long term is AROS.