Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga - What If It Were Today....  (Read 4878 times)

Description:

Offline tone007

Re: Amiga - What If It Were Today....
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 03:00:49 AM »
I said the technology is progressing, I didn't say anything about the people. ;)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline dwaldropTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by dwaldrop
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:02 AM »
Quote from: save2600;600979
@Tone:

Evolution and progression... are you sure you're not confusing the two?  :lol:

From a societal perspective, I'm not seeing a single positive benefit to all of this modern technology at all. And the more portable it is, the more abused it gets. Especially by younger people. All it's doing is making them dumb and dumberer ... ;)

Well said.   As much of a tech-geek as I am, I would rather sit in a restaurant and talk to my wife than send a twitter message or update farcebook.   I may be the exception, but I turn off the cel phone when I get home.

Like my computers... Love my wife...

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 03:23:01 AM »
Quote from: dwaldrop;600982
Well said.   As much of a tech-geek as I am, I would rather sit in a restaurant and talk to my wife than send a twitter message or update farcebook.   I may be the exception, but I turn off the cel phone when I get home.

Like my computers... Love my wife...

Neither owning a mobile phone or any portable computing device, I wish more folk were like you, It takes me all my self control when sitting in a restaurant or pub or other public places not to get up and ram folks ruddy mobile devices up their back end when the ignorant turds sit there talking as loud as they can about absolute S@&te, especially when the twat their talking to is sitting a few tables way or at the other end of the bar, not to mention all those ruddy grating ringtones that you constanly have to listen to...  :madashell:

But sadly I seem to be in a minority in this matter, but one of these days I'm gonna be up on a GBH charge for it... but it will be worth it... :)

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 03:51:40 AM »
Twitter, Facebook, friendster All those useless websites for people who have no life. Would rather go out spend time with kids or mess around with the garden or some Electronics project instead. I have to have a mobile as my work requires it but i hate it and don't use it as much.
humans are becoming too lazy these days (OK i spend my life in front of a PC since that's my job, but atleast i work out and do outside activities), people wonder why obesity especially childhood obesity is becoming so much of a problem.
I also agree most games are too much alike gone are the days where u would spend hours and hours and days and days on one game now days after an hour or so i get bored. Just nothing new or interesting in most games made today.
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 04:32:33 AM »
Quote from: Retro_71;600987
Twitter, Facebook, friendster All those useless websites for people who have no life.

Never heard of "friendster" dot com until just now.  LMAO!  That name is almost as stupid as "twitter". Twat. Twit.  People are just soooooo stupid these days. This the same mentality as naming your kid Bob Roberts or Bill Williams. I just don't get it and hope I never do  ;-)

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:31 AM »
Quote from: save2600;600991
People are just soooooo stupid these days. This the same mentality as naming your kid Bob Roberts or Bill Williams. I just don't get it and hope I never do  ;-)

So twitter has a silly name you completely dismiss it as a tool? Yeah, gonna have to agree with you, people are stupid.

As for not understanding it... It's a massive great collective RSS feed on steroids. Pick and choose what you want, leave the rest. What's not to get?

Many Iranians seemed to find it useful at least...
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 04:54:47 AM »
Quote from: save2600;600991
Never heard of "friendster" dot com until just now.  LMAO!  That name is almost as stupid as "twitter". Twat. Twit.  People are just soooooo stupid these days. This the same mentality as naming your kid Bob Roberts or Bill Williams. I just don't get it and hope I never do  ;-)

Yep friendster predates facebook (well to my users anyway) and i am glad i have blocked them all from the network!!!!!! dozens and dozens of unhappy people make me happy..... :D
Ok doesn't sound good but my users are a stupid bunch keep telling the CEO to get some monkeys shave them and replace them with the said monkeys.. More work would get done.....

These people love to waste time and this crap hence my blocking of everything msn, yahoo, facebook, twitter etc etc... but then again i am a nasty sys admin (among my many hats... :) )
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline save2600

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 05:01:44 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;600993
So twitter has a silly name you completely dismiss it as a tool?

It's the fact that soooo many people do not understand and comprehend root words anymore. Twit(ter). Knowing what a twit is, works out perfectly as most on it are exactly that. There *IS* a consortium of people that are bent on hiding/destroying history on many different levels and primarily for one agenda: the less you know about the past, the more moldable you are. And that's why I have a problem with a name like "Twitter". Even if you know nothing else, the word just sounds stupid as it "rolls" off your tongue. Like you know it's a silly word that you shouldn't be saying.

And yes, I am aware of the en masse bandwidth waste of space that Twitter is, even though none of my browsers on any of my computers have ever pointed to it. That is to say, I have never, ever - not even once, "tweeted" in my life. Never will either.  :lol:

Offline the_leander

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:56 AM »
Quote from: save2600;600996
There *IS* a consortium of people that are bent on hiding/destroying history on many different levels and primarily for one agenda: the less you know about the past, the more moldable you are. And that's why I have a problem with a name like "Twitter".

Ladies and gentlemen, are your tinfoil hats too tight? Are you finding it harder to get good quality tinfoil? Well worry no more!

Introducing Zapato Productions intradimensional! For all your tinfoil needs!

I've read 1984 too.

Quote from: save2600;600996

That is to say, I have never, ever - not even once, "tweeted" in my life. Never will either.  :lol:

Your loss.
Blessed Be,

Offline save2600

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 05:30:39 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;600998

Ladies and gentlemen, are your tinfoil hats too tight? Are you finding it harder to get good quality tinfoil? Well worry no more!

Introducing Zapato Productions intradimensional! For all your tinfoil needs!

I've read 1984 too.

Your loss.

LOL! Glad you can read, but comprehending is an entirely different matter. And screw paying for a tinfoil beanie. I fashion my own  ;)  My loss for not tweeting? Are you serious? Too funny. I do participate in Facebook... so it's kind of like "tweeting", you know?

Watch the B-52's Funplex video sometime. See if you identify.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:39:14 AM by save2600 »

Offline the_leander

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 05:42:45 AM »
Quote from: save2600;601005
LOL! Glad you can read. And screw paying for a tinfoil beanie. I fashion my own  ;)  My loss for not tweeting? Are you serious? Too funny.

Like I said, Twitter is just a huge RSS feed on steroids, if used as such, can be a hugely powerful tool for information gathering or following breaking events long before the media get to it.

So yes, honestly I would say it is your loss.

I do participate in Facebook... so it's kind of like "tweeting", you know?

It really isn't.

Watch the B-52's Funplex video sometime. See if you identify.

Just watched it, realised that it's yet another indictment of consumer culture that doesn't offer an alternative or way forward.
Blessed Be,

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »
The root of twitter is from what a bird does.  You 'tweet' as in make short chirp of a message.  As much as I don't use twitter, making stuff up about it doesn't help your argument.

As for kids not having the ability to live through the wonders of the early computer world, I would disagree.  They are just doing it with robotics for their hardware, and they are fiddling with software to control that.  Most of us didn't work with vacuum tubes.  What we did was use pieces that where already built for us.  The C64 was not a build from scratch machine.  The Amiga wasn't a build from scratch machine.  Heck, even the old Heathkits were not really build from scratch if you talk to the people that worked on the parts that the kits were built up from.

As for printers being evil.... As funny as that comic is, 90% of the complaints about printers only apply to Inkjet printers.   Just buy a laser printer, and they work fine.

Franko,  if you want to get back that feeling you had with your early computers, look into robotics.  They are just getting to where the vic20 or c64 were for home computers.  I'm pretty sure with a little hacking, you could make something compatible with your tickle sticks.  I would recommend the 2 ribbed model for the vic20 feeling, and the 3 ribbed model for the classic c64 feeling....

Offline save2600

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 05:59:01 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;601011
Just watched it, realised that it's yet another indictment of consumer culture that doesn't offer an alternative or way forward.
Exactly - just as almost all of our choices today. Thanks to whom?

And how is Facebook different than Twitter? The hundreds of drones that are my "friends" on Facebook... when they update their status... how is that not tweeting? I get e-mails forwarded, letting me know when they added a new pic of their puppy or if they "liked" my status or comment w/ a one liner (often filled with horrible grammar and misspellings). It's all garbage. BS and junk. Wasted bandwidth. And yet I know for a fact, many of these puds no longer like to communicate any other way. Their relatives even tell me so. Writing a letter or picking up the phone is no longer fashionable or tolerated. They want you to communicate THEIR way or no way. Pretty selfish. As is this current ME generation and mindset. It all fits perfectly and was quite predictable as the mainstream moved in on all this mindless and senseless crap. BTW: how is the weather out by you? And how about them Bears?

@Belial6:

Who's making stuff up about Twitter? Is it not just an RSS feed on steroids (as previously mentioned) about your friends' status? Or am I missing something here??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:02:39 AM by save2600 »

Offline the_leander

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Quote from: save2600;601014
Exactly - just as almost all of our choices today. Thanks to whom?

The Victorians, specifically industrialisation.

And how is Facebook different than Twitter? The hundreds of drones that are my "friends" on Facebook... when they update their status... how is that not tweeting?

On my Twitter feed I get updates multiple news organisations, political organisations, a few select celebs such as Stephen Fry, some from Anonymous regarding some of their ops, some from bloggers such as Jack of Kent because when they update their blogs it pops up there. The result is I have a broad spectrum of opinion and news that is often hours or even sometimes days ahead of anything you'll pick up on TV or radio.

They want you to communicate THEIR way or no way. Pretty selfish. As is this current ME generation and mindset.

Please tell me you get the irony of this statement given the context.

Or am I missing something here??

You are, but then you'd actually have to check it out to figure out what that difference is.
Blessed Be,

Offline save2600

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 06:26:52 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;601017
The Victorians, specifically industrialisation.
Please tell me you get the irony of this statement given the context.
Ah! I do and I appreciate that - although contextually, we're still talking about two entirely different things. Reading between your lines, I have surmised you can "suck" in different RSS feeds from varying places and sites of your choosing. Forgive my ignorance. I had thought Twitter was another tweeny-bopper social site of sorts. You'll have to forgive me. I am programmed to think anything popular today must be incredibly stupid and unworthy. Not sure exactly where I picked that up, but it is what it is.  lol

Still... I am perfectly capable of picking up the paper, watching TV, reading the various news sites or simply looking up at my favorite restaurant (Big Brother and Big Sister now too is everywhere in every corner today as every pub/restaurant/bathroom or any public place period) as they are inundated with monitors if I want to scan their brand of "important" information scrolling across the screen. Stephen Kent and Jack of Fry - could care less who these people are. Kardashians - whatever. Yay for todays newsfeeds. So glad I heard about all the nutjobs too across the world doing horrible things to each other. Helps me a lot in life and solidifies what I already know. Time to go clean my guns now...  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:32:56 AM by save2600 »

Offline the_leander

« Reply #44 from previous page: December 23, 2010, 06:38:18 AM »
Quote from: save2600;601023
Ah! I do and I appreciate that - although contextually, we're still talking about two entirely different things. Reading between your lines, I have surmised you can "suck" in different RSS feeds from varying places and sites of your choosing.

No, these are the peoples "tweets". But many blogs for instance have options to enable automated updates to their twitter account, effectively turning twitter into RSS by another name.

Quote from: save2600;601023

Forgive my ignorance. I had thought Twitter was another tweeny-bopper social site of sorts. You'll have to forgive me. I am programmed to think anything popular today must be incredibly stupid and unworthy. Not sure exactly where I picked that up, but it is what it is.  lol

Twitter is a lot of things, there is an huge amount of noise, but it offers you a robust toolset to filter it out to your specific interests/wants.

For a tweeny bopper, it's little more than a quick and dirty way to announce to the world their every waking moment and thought as it comes into their heads. For an Iranian dissident, it's a means to let the world know their government has just ordered in the imperial guard and is attacking unarmed civilians in the street they're standing in... Same tool, totally different usage.

And that's why I like Twitter. It is quite literally what you make of it.
Blessed Be,