Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you approve of PPC (in some form) as the future of Amiga?  (Read 13474 times)

Description:

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
Re: Do you approve of PPC (in some form) as the future of Amiga?
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 05:27:32 AM »
Voted yes since it's what we currently have, it's quite clear that the x86 route will never happen (let aros aside)... probably the "better than nothing" approach...

Cheers,

D.
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 06:53:59 AM »
A real Amiga is 680x0 only, plain & simple everything else is just a fraud... :)

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;584399
where are all the MOS and OS4 champions?  Don't they support PPC for Amiga?

Or maybe they just don't care about another useless poll. There is an Amiga route for x86 fans for 15 years. It is called AROS. It has all the advantages lack of which is pictured as drawbacks of MorphOS and AmigaOS 4. It runs on cheap and broadly available x86 hardware, it is free, it is opensourced. It should dominate the Amiga future, shouldn't it? Guess why it has not happened for 15 years.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 07:27:25 AM »
Quote from: beakster2;584394
and most of us can't afford new PPC hardware.

BS.

Most of us CAN afford new hardware - but there's a difference between value and reality.  Choosing to overpay for re-used, abused and re-manufactured (if you're lucky) technology does NOT represent sensible computing value.  Show us something of value, worthwhile, long lasting, currently supported and we will spring for it. En masse.

Offline nomore

• Show only replies by nomore
    • http://www.andboom.com
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
ARM A9 and A15.
Amiga A1200. Blizzard 1230 Mk IV 50MHz with FPU. 16MB RAM. Indivision AGA Mk II. 4GB IDE CF.

Software I make: http://www.andboom.com

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
This is all pretty theoretical, but I always figured ARM would be a good option for amiga OS

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I don't care too much about the cpu. PPC has some practical advantages and the port is just there, s why not? When supply of maschines dreis out and someone does a port to a different API I would use that of course, too.
But currently I am quite satisfied with the ppc route in teh incarnation of MorphOS on my Mac mini. Couldn't be much better.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
Amithlon was as close as we ever had to an x86 Amiga and that was killed by stupidity.

If it had support and a few revisions, it could have gotten somewhere.

So did Phase5 push us into PPC all by themselves?  Why are we still there?

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 08:40:15 AM »
Explain future

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:10 AM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;584432
Explain future

in amiga terms ? 2001 :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
It's all rather irrelevant IMHO.

Approval or not, your choices are dictated by those developing it. OS4 and MOS are written for PPC hardware. I don't expect either of them to jump ship to x86, or even ARM any time soon. If you are disappointed with this, then you can take the AROS route.

There are pros and cons to each platform, but the point is, if you think PPC was a bad idea, you aren't actually stuck with it.
int p; // A

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »
Other. I know I'm dreaming but I love to see some kind of multi GPU based system running OS4.1. Something like the Nvidia Tesla of a couple of years ago.  I use an intel but I know the basis of these machines hobbles their capabilities.  Something wild and wicked to spark the imagination....BTW its 50:50 for and against Intel...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;584436
Other. I know I'm dreaming but I love to see some kind of multi GPU based system running OS4.1. Something like the Nvidia Tesla of a couple of years ago.

Trust me, you wouldn't want this. GPUs are not a simple replacement for CPUs. They have very specific programming requirements. Beyond the obvious, they aren't multithread friendly in the way a multicore CPU with SMP is in which several totally unrelated threads of execution can be running away concurrently. nVidia GPUs run very large numbers of threads through the same code using in-step execution. A multiprocessor will execute a warp of such threads completely in parallel. The moment you hit a conditional branch and some threads take conflicting paths, execution is serialized until the code paths merge again (the hardware scheduler is nice though; whenever any of the threads hit a slow memory access, it will switch it out for another warp of threads that are executable).

Furthermore, prior to the fermi architecture, the GPU could only be executing a single kernel (a block of code to be ran over a dataset, not OS core sense) at a time. This is at least one major improvement of the latest generation, but again, even with several kernels running concurrently, each one needs to be some massively parallel task to get any benefit from GPU execution.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:33:12 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »
Reading through a few comments on here.  As far as I understood it PPC has a smaller instruction set than x86 and like for like will run much faster than an x86.

I don't know what the current maximum Ghz maximum is for both PPC and x86 technology, but I do know that a 1.8 Ghz processor (as per Amiga X1000) whether its little-endian or big-endian is more than suitable for the vast majority of computer uses as is required in 2010 for the vast majority of users on this planet.

Although CPU technology does get quickly all the time it is far from being a priority as much as it is has in the past and therefore there is less and less reason to upgrade as time goes on.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
Quote from: djrikki;584444
Reading through a few comments on here.  As far as I understood it PPC has a smaller instruction set than x86 and like for like will run much faster than an x86.

You realise a smaller instruction set means more instructions are required to implement any given bit of code, right? Like for like, once you hit the baseline minimum of one instruction per clock, the CPU with less code to execute will win.

Also, the PPC isn't really that RISC as far as the number of supported operations goes, it has plenty of instruction/variants. It's classification as RISC is rather more architectural (consistent instruction word encoding, load store design etc).

Anyway, I'm afraid that the observation of PPC versus x86 is far out of date. Certainly not since the AMD64 architecture at any road and all new "x86" destktop processors tend to be AMD64.
int p; // A

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 13, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;584409
I vote for the 680x0.  Since the heart of the Amiga is its unique graphics chipset, that limits the future to FPGA and similar technologies.  As long as FPGAs are affordable, we should stick with 680x0 softcores to make them a compact SoC.  Viva MiniMig, NatAmi, and CloneAA!

Actually it was the the whole FPGA thing that made me pick "other"... Hmm!

Quote from: save2600;584424
BS.

Most of us CAN afford new hardware.

Whilst I get what you're trying to say, I think you're ignoring what he said - which was that they couldn't afford PPC hardware.

And given the cost even of a new Sam, much less the projected price of the X1000, is perfectly valid, even to the point of your own comment being true at the same time.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]