Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How much pirated Amiga software did you have?  (Read 13646 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga1000

• Show only replies by Amiga1000
Re: How much pirated Amiga software did you have?
« Reply #164 from previous page: May 26, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
Well since the statute of limitations has long expired since the halcyon days of 1987-89..

I had a few hundred, obtained from a circle of friends who would get together and copy stuff. I didn't get any via downloading.
Most Amiga people seemed to come from the C64 scene where piracy was rampant and mass copy parties were common. There was a big one in one of the town parks.

There were some whose collections dwarfed mine, they had thousands of disks.
Do I pirate now? Nope.

Offline Amiga1000

• Show only replies by Amiga1000
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »
Funny... Manx Aztec C and WordPerfect were 2 out of the only 3 packages that I ever bought as a lad.. the other was OS 1.3 ! :roflmao:

Quote from: Pentad;557819
15?  Are you kidding?   Sheesh, we would get 15 in a night!

79th Track, Only Amiga, Fear and Loathing...so many BBS sites combined with PC-Pursuit rocked!

I didn't know anybody who didn't do this.  I'm sure it hurt the software market a great deal on the Amiga but with everybody coming from the Commodore 64 it was just the way things were...  I mean the Commodore 64 sold so well because of piracy!   I always heard that Commodore said "Piracy sells computers!"

It was the Golden Time of the scene...ESI, Bencor Brothers, Razor 1911, The Firm, boy times were much simpler...

79th Track had these awesome util disks that were just fantastic!

I know it wasn't right but at the time I was a 17 year old kid with no money.  I'm going to buy WordPerfect or Aztec C for the Amiga?   Yeah, right...

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
Pentad

I disagree that ANYONE should have copyright benefits for 70 years;I firmly believe the old laws from several decades ago provided a much better balance of originator's rights versus society's rights.
 14 years plus ONE renewal of another 14 should be plenty of time.
 I am reminded of Tolkien whining about  not receiving money for his LOTR books decades after the original publishing.If  the copyright laws of today  had been in effect  for the past few hundred years,perhaps Shakespeare,Milton, and others would not be classics;actually I believe excessive copyrights retard the progress of  a society.
Nothing was created in a vacumn,all build on knowledge and work of those before.

The U.S. Congress is much too easily swayed by  lobbyists and cash  donations;plus  simply feel the "need" to pass laws to show they are "earning" their legislator's pay.

The change in copyright laws to benefit Disney which made billions customizing old fairy tales,and also protecting companies like Microsoft and Apple which have demonstrably violated the  patent or copyright laws themselves(and the blue-box  background of Apple founders) just shows that  money can have the rules of the game changed to benefit money.

FInally,I contend that most people do have an innate sense of right and wrong and most want to do the right thing most of the time;and when their sense of rightness conflicts with any society's laws the people will do what they feel should be right weighed against the likelihood of being caught and punished.
This is a reason I oppose red-light cameras since the camera doesn't know or care that you went through the  intersection after being able to see that there is no other traffic at 3 a.m. Tuesday morning,just a suspicious person loitering  across the street(possible carjacker?).  

The minimum number of laws and justice based on real,not imagined , injury strikes me as better for a free society.Many,of course, do not like the idea of freedom for everyone,so they insist on restrictive laws rigidly enforced except in cases of the elite.

Offline inoel

• Show only replies by inoel
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2010, 02:06:51 PM »
My new band
 http://soundcloud.com/noel-johnson/acid-dads-legends-noel-johnson-pep-c-1

are useing mp3 and the fact that it's being copyed to
get pep's to  support us for live gigs and vinyl sale's.

reasons are at least pep's are hearing our music
we have no record deal but however we are playing
gig's and cuting small runs of 12" vinyl on our own.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »
Quote from: inoel;561100
My new band
 http://soundcloud.com/noel-johnson/acid-dads-legends-noel-johnson-pep-c-1

are useing mp3 and the fact that it's being copyed to get pep's to  support us for live gigs and vinyl sale's.

Now that's smart. Give the people a taste of what it's all about, but let them purchase a superior experience either live or in full fidelity on vinyl. It's finally (again) becoming well known that electronic music fares especially well on that medium. Forget mp3's, even 16-bit CD's can't come close to vinyl when it comes to bass extension and the general rounding out of the electronic instruments. Kudos and best of luck in your endeavors!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »
Quote from: save2600;561113
Now that's smart. Give the people a taste of what it's all about, but let them purchase a superior experience either live or in full fidelity on vinyl. It's finally (again) becoming well known that electronic music fares especially well on that medium. Forget mp3's, even 16-bit CD's can't come close to vinyl when it comes to bass extension and the general rounding out of the electronic instruments. Kudos and best of luck in your endeavors!

That and its rally really hard to pirate vinyl now that minidisc is dead :D

Offline recidivist

« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
I know the digital engineers claim we can't tell the difference but I believe we,or at least many of us ,CAN tell the difference  between digitized music and analog,perhaps only subconsciously.My theory is that our brains  detect the digital  steps and the brain then processes the signal to sound "normal",i.e. analog.

The human brain can do amazing tricks.I happen to require glasses  ,and of course having worn glasses for years was used to  seeing  things normally with  one particular lens style. A switch to a special no- line lens whilst retaining the strength needed resulted in a weird hourglass view  TEMPORARILY;for the first  week or so wearing the new lenses ,the walls of hallways or anything not  pretty much directly ahead seemed to "bow" in shape.Then one day I realized I was no longer noticing the distortion and all looked normal shapes and angles again.A quick switch to the original brought a very momentary blurriness and then ok.
 I theorize my brain had somehow learned a new "program" for seeing and also a "sub-routine" for deciding which seeing program to use based on which glasses were being worn!

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;561129
I know the digital engineers claim we can't tell the difference but I believe we,or at least many of us ,CAN tell the difference  between digitized music and analog,perhaps only subconsciously.My theory is that our brains  detect the digital  steps and the brain then processes the signal to sound "normal",i.e. analog.

The human brain can do amazing tricks.I happen to require glasses  ,and of course having worn glasses for years was used to  seeing  things normally with  one particular lens style. A switch to a special no- line lens whilst retaining the strength needed resulted in a weird hourglass view  TEMPORARILY;for the first  week or so wearing the new lenses ,the walls of hallways or anything not  pretty much directly ahead seemed to "bow" in shape.Then one day I realized I was no longer noticing the distortion and all looked normal shapes and angles again.A quick switch to the original brought a very momentary blurriness and then ok.
 I theorize my brain had somehow learned a new "program" for seeing and also a "sub-routine" for deciding which seeing program to use based on which glasses were being worn!

Some of it has to do with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

And that the way records have to be mastered disallows such dynamic compression.  There are people who argue that digital can sound as good (even better) than a record, and they are right, but for both mediums to sound stellar requires investment in quality gear, and the market shows that convenience (Icrap, etc) and shoddy sound will win over bulky fidelity solutions.  I still use minidisc, which is incredibly good sounding even to this day as a compromise...that and the fact I can actually record the way I used to do when casettes were in.

Offline recidivist

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »
Funny you should mention MiniDisk-there are six new in the wrapper beside my keyboard.Found them at a little secondhand junque store very cheap!

Offline recidivist

« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2010, 11:52:05 PM »
Re: the wiki  article on loudness war.

That explains my feeling of wrongness about some of the music the last few years;music should have a wide dynamic range if the listener is to get the full experience.Anyone can make loud noises.

This is similar to the over-application or processing in the CB,ham radio and even commercial services to the point of rendering voices unidentifiable  although the gross message is delivered;that is the listener understands that "backup needed at Last National Bank" but the cues that let one recognize the other party's voice  are missing and you must rely on the stated identity.Perhaps this is why cellphone calls  so often sound so bad.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »
Quote from: recidivist;561350
Funny you should mention MiniDisk-there are six new in the wrapper beside my keyboard.Found them at a little secondhand junque store very cheap!

so not fair!  Yet another thing the states ignored and so they are like hen's teeth here :)