Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!  (Read 6143 times)

Description:

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Re: Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
Will it have an optional cup warmer? I like to keep my coffee hot during all these late night coding sessions. I'm prepared to pay over the odds to have this function ...

I know I have a vaporware Amiga Inc voucher here somewhere ... Will they take that as part payment?
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Britelite

• Show only replies by Britelite
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 11:39:30 AM »

Atheist wrote:
Mine IS genuinely within reach when the NAtAmi60 arrives!

And ALL OF Aminet will run on it!

Ahem, no it won't. Real Amigas can't even run everything on Aminet ;)

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

ZeBeeDee wrote:
Will it have an optional cup warmer? I like to keep my coffee hot during all these late night coding sessions. I'm prepared to pay over the odds to have this function ...

Remove the heatsink and stand your coffee cup on top of the processor.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 12:10:55 PM »
WHO will recode AOS and make the new x86 versions of SW????

You already know that answer, AROS is already x86 and x86_64 native.

The only answer for desktop/laptop is x86/x86_64.  ARM is the only real answer for small portable devices.  I find these threads rather amusing as if people have not gotten a clue that a new hardware is never going to be released that can make any tech dent in the current marketplace.  I find it even more amusing that people could even think the Amiga market is economically viable for any corporation to invest money in to make that dent.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »

A6000 wrote:

ZeBeeDee wrote:

Remove the heatsink and stand your coffee cup on top of the processor.

Can't do that ... I'm using the processor as a BBQ  :lol:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40:44 PM »
@Beast96GT

I understand. It's just so important that not get painted into a corner.

dammy wrote:

I find these threads rather amusing as if people have not gotten a clue that a new hardware is never going to be released that can make any tech dent in the current marketplace.  I find it even more amusing that people could even think the Amiga market is economically viable for any corporation to invest money in to make that dent.

Dammy

I don't agree with you Dammy. If a computer that have been owned by millions make a new model that level with PC and MAC, that could most certainly make, not a dent, but a nasty bite of the previously mentioned market. This bite doesn't interest me, What does interest me is new modern Amiga models and a future for the computer brand I loved the most.

Ps. Amiga inc and Hyperion is informed about what happens here. If good ideas emerges they will hear them, the cup holder excluded Ds :-)

EDIT. O.k with hot and chill cup holder optional if member of amiga.org :-D
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline Beast96GTTopic starter

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »

dammy wrote:
I find these threads rather amusing as if people have not gotten a clue that a new hardware is never going to be released that can make any tech dent in the current marketplace.  I find it even more amusing that people could even think the Amiga market is economically viable for any corporation to invest money in to make that dent.

Dammy

I think it's amusing how people like you feel they must contribute to the forums, yet you have nothing to contribute.  This thread is meant only for fun and conjecture--you may leave at any time.   :-)

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »

ZeBeeDee wrote:

My computer has the opposite. It has a USB powered soda can chiller.

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »

alexh wrote:
My computer has the opposite. It has a USB powered soda can chiller.

Woooo ... Now that is something I can relate to  :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »

Beast96GT wrote:

dammy wrote:

Dammy

I think it's amusing how people like you feel they must contribute to the forums, yet you have nothing to contribute.  This thread is meant only for fun and conjecture--you may leave at any time.   :-)

You say he has nothing to contribute... in a thread about nothing... seems perfect to me.

In reality he has said something realistic in a thread that is a pointless waste of bandwidth.

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
Being serious for a moment. Ignoring the Amiga aspect for a moment.

What would I like from a next generation computer? Probably a better way of interaction. While the keyboard and mouse remain the best way of getting data in and out of a computer they are not intuitive or natural.

Suggestions:

Multi-Touch screen.
Speech & Handwriting recognition.
Optical control interface. (The computer tracks eye movement perhaps with aid of glasses or a Monocle).
Neural interface ;-)

I worked on an optical control interface at University (decades ago). The system used a high resolution camera embedded in the screen to digitise the position of your head and the black and white of your eyes. It worked fairly well. I was surprised the Uni never tried to sell it!

The idea was for quadriplegic computer users.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
O.K explain the reality Bloodline. We should all shut up and get Iphones :lol:
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »

dammy wrote:

You already know that answer, AROS is already x86 and x86_64 native.

The only answer for desktop/laptop is x86/x86_64.  ARM is the only real answer for small portable devices.  I find these threads rather amusing as if people have not gotten a clue that a new hardware is never going to be released that can make any tech dent in the current marketplace.  I find it even more amusing that people could even think the Amiga market is economically viable for any corporation to invest money in to make that dent.

Dammy

I would strongly argue there.  ARM is not the only real answer, even among portable makers.  The Intel Atom, VIA Nano both make solid x86-capable portable CPU's which are making inroads.  New MIPS CPU's are arriving that put the ARM in for a run for it's money.  Even the ancient 68k with ColdFire is starting to bring some excitement back to the field.  ARM might be 60% of the market, but that is not the "only real answer" any more than m68k was in the mid 1980's, where it was in the top half and Intel was the underdog.

Don't limit your vision, and really the sky is the limit.

Incidentally, to the guy proposing AMD CPU's, I'd actually look into that, but with the OS replacing the BIOS.  Keep it in straight 64-bit mode from the get-go.

My thought is, make the desktop raytraced.  Make it touch-friendly.  Even I, this hw-freak, am willing to concede that the era of the custom all-in-one solution is past.  But you can still get some fun stuff out there.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »
What would I like from a next generation computer? Probably a better way of interaction. [...]

Suggestions:

Multi-Touch screen.
Speech & Handwriting recognition.
Optical control interface.

I want an electronic neck just below the monitor, so the next time the @)%*@)%* machine does something retarded I can reach out and choke the ever-loving crap outta it.  

Think about it, stupidity is OS independent.  The next time Internet Explorer automatically downloads the latest exploit, XFree mangles my all my screenmodes, Guru Meditation suddenly shows up and wipes out everything that wasn't saved [probably because that MOD I was playing in the background had a glitch...]   :pissed:

I want that machine to truly know and feel the wrath that is coming for it.   :lol:

[EDIT: - Alternatively, if it's a handheld/laptop, a few accelerometers should be used so it can react when I shake the hell out of it.  :lol:  ]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

cicero790 wrote:
O.K explain the reality Bloodline. We should all shut up and get Iphones :lol:

Well, no... the iPhone isn't a desktop computer :-)

But some people here are not expressing realistic desires for a new computer... let alone an amiga...

If this is fantasy thread then why not have a Flux Capacitor... I'd love to visit 1985...

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 01, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
I would like it pocket size with a direct mind input/output system.  Powered by cold fusion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.