Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!  (Read 6145 times)

Description:

Offline Beast96GTTopic starter

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »
I posted this in a previous thread, but it got no reaction... and dammit, I want a reaction!  :D

Here are just a few thoughts/ideas if the Amiga WERE to be redesigned, re-introduced hardware and software-wise:

1) The Amiga should be a graphical powerhouse.  It's an old idea, but it's amazing how much attention is paid to the machine with the best graphics--Hell, it's how the Amiga really made a name for itself (among other things, of course).  

Modern graphics cards are designed to be optimal for typical 32-bit floating point (matrices and such) math.  

The Amiga graphics chips (preferably on a card) could optimize for real-time ray-tracing.  It's not a fantasy by any means;  it's already being done on the PC, but it's limited and requires massive hardware.  The Amiga, if designed with the bottlenecks of doing this in mind, could possibly bring this market and exploit it as its own.  

The Amiga graphics chips could optimize for Quaternions which are much better than matrices (especially for rotations).  

It's amazing what graphics will do to get your platform some attention.  Remember the first time you saw the Amiga screenshots of Defender of the Crown?

2) Support your software developers. A good machine has to be supported by good software.  Good software has to be made with by developers and publishers who think they can make a profit.  On a new platform, help from the manufacturer is a must.

Reusable code is in that equation.  It's time to move past assembly code and support a higher level language like C++ with libraries.  This means a real compiler that supports serious debugging and a optimized machine language generation. Professional code-bases are huge, and require easier to read code.  

3) Have a multimedia solution like no other.  The Microsoft Windows PC has come a long way with multimedia integration, but in my mind it has never taken the next step nor done it right.  The Amiga could have additional inputs for things like HDMI and optical audio.  

The Amiga could have DVR and video editing capabilities.  Make people who own a video camera feel they need an Amiga to make (semi-)professional video of their ugly kids.  
 ;-)

4) Provide a modular approach. Being able to upgrade your computer is a good.  Computer manufacturers aren't always keen on this idea--they'd rather you buy a new system.  At least on your higher end system, it's a good thing.  You need to not be limited by your motherboard with what you can do with your system--especially graphics.

Like I stated in a previous post, this is really a pipe dream, but it's fun to ponder what would be if the Amiga has a serious investment.  
 :-D

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Re: Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:09 AM »
Don't forget exhaust ports.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »
Yes Beast96GT, this sounds like Amiga to me. Not some mediocre half measure. If the visions aren’t there, there will be no investors, but if the visions are right and the aim bold enough the money will come.

A true Amiga shall always be able to run the best and most demanding games and software in the world, exactly as the vintage models did 20 years ago.

A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »
It would need to have integrated perpetual motion feedback joypad with a sub-cold fusion reactor for power.

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
And it needs to be all black. With a red pin stripe. :crazy:

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
- not to mention the 66" (LDCD) Liquid Dilithium Crystal Display... and the soon to be released(two weeks)holographic imaging station - secure yours now with a £50 Amiga Inc voucher.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

alexh wrote:
It would need to have integrated perpetual motion feedback joypad with a sub-cold fusion reactor for power.

Wow, might as well require a flux-capacitor, huh?

I disagree.

Real-time ray-tracing is already achievable with the right hardware on the PC.  A lot of the work can be done with CPU/GPU concurrency.  

My $150 TV has an HDMI input--why can't my computer?  Oh, that's because this computer is a PC and you need to buy a card for that.  

Why can't my $500 Geforce 8800GTX card do anything for me other than run games fast?  

Ok, yeah, I'm not a hardware engineer, but you guys are acting like I'm asking for the damn space shuttle!  

:-D

Maybe that's why you're all still on here being bitter and complaining?   :-D

Offline sim085

• Show only replies by sim085
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:32:48 AM »
[Edit]: Not relevant!

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »
My $150 TV has an HDMI input--why can't my computer? Oh, that's because this computer is a PC and you need to buy a card for that.

Ask Jeri Ellsworth why she had to fight for a 5 cent part on that C=64 in a joystick.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
@Beast96GT

You talked about optimizing for real-time ray-tracing could something like this be used easily if a demanding 3d pc game was ported? or are they generally written for the floatingpoint?
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline DavidF215

• Show only replies by DavidF215
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
The new entry level Amiga would look like this:
  A micro motherboard with an AMD processor and RAM
  An NVidia Graphics card or chipset
  AmigaOS5 for x64
  An Office Suite with MS-Office compatible datatypes
  A handful of new games
  Be enclosed in a case like the A1200
  Cost about $295-$495

The new entry middle tier (~A4000 bare) Amiga would look like this:
  A motherboard with middle tier AMD processor
  The middle tier NVidia graphics
  AmigaOS5 for x64
  A handful of new games
  Be enclosed in a case like the A4000
  Cost about $1195

The new top of the line would be like this:
  2 Dual-Core AMD Opteron - Model 2222 SE
  4 GB (4 x 1 GB DIMMs)
  NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 Graphics Card
  146 GB (1 x 146 GB) 15000 rpm SAS Disk
  AmigaOS5 for x64
  A handful of new games
  Be enclosed in a case like the A4000T
  Include a modernized Video Toaster and Maya 3D
  Cost about $3595
AmigaOS enthusiast since 1993.

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
Hi Beast96GT,

Until AOS4.1 gets new HW, the bestest bet is the NatAmi60 and 70.

IF AntAmi70 becomes an ASIC, EVEN IF only at 900 MHz, it WILL haul ass!!!!

I think that it can compete with at least 2 GHz 32 bit P4s.

However, the graphics and sound can't compete with current vid/audio of today. At 900 MHz the graphics of the Nat70 would be very, very powerful, but todays GPUs have 128 bit registers and the new AMD 4870 has EIGHT HUNDRED of them!!!!!

Amiga's SuperAGA to stay backwards compatible will have to stay at 32 bit. But, can they increase the amount of blitters? I don't know. Or registers?

Maybe there can be a SuperAGA chip made with only blitter and graphics, and 4 could be put on a motherboard and they can operate in SLI mode. They'd each have their own 16 or 32 megs of ram. So, there's 1 SuperAGA (with 68060 , and 3 D core) and 4 more (with graphics, blitter, and 3D core), oh and, did I mention that they'd each have a SIMD unit as well? OH, I forgot to mention, if they had internal L1 ram in the SuperAGA of 4 megs, how about that????

Now, THAT, would be a computer!

And, it's FULLY backwards compatible too!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 10:51:45 AM »
Hi DavidF215,

While a good idea, how realistic is it?

WHO will recode AOS and make the new x86 versions of SW????

Mine IS genuinely within reach when the NAtAmi60 arrives!

And ALL OF Aminet will run on it!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »
Dave, those are some practical ideas, but in my opinion, nothing that will ever do anything for the Amiga.  Let's work on that list together, ok, bro?  :)  

cicero790:  You've got an interesting question, but I would have no way of knowing.  Depending on how the new hardware was developed, this would dictate the performance of any game ports.  

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
Will it have an optional cup warmer? I like to keep my coffee hot during all these late night coding sessions. I'm prepared to pay over the odds to have this function ...

I know I have a vaporware Amiga Inc voucher here somewhere ... Will they take that as part payment?
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]