Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bloatware AmigaOS?  (Read 5793 times)

Description:

Offline AmiKit

Re: Bloatware AmigaOS?
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:41:48 AM »
@stefcep2
Amikit looks like the most modern AmigaOs you can get in terms of eye candy and "features" but it is far slower than Amigasys or classic amiga, which aren't as "feature" rich.

http://www.amikit.amiga.sk/benchmarks.htm

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
Bloatware typically refers to useless or seldom used features.  Roj's 60MB mouse driver?  Well, the driver is probably just some 100K DirectInput hook which maps each mouse button to a system signal.  The rest of it is the installer, fancy uncompressed BMP graphics, miles and miles of XML exported from a lousy PowerPoint clone, the updater which constantly runs in the background (and is almost always a service and not a task), etc.  The drivers for my printer are 85MB, but the printer works just fine using the vanilla driver that comes with XP.

Also keep in mind that the Amiga really didn't have a lot of drivers for things.  The whole OS was pretty much hard-coded just for the chipset, which of course was its greatest downfall.  Take a look at the Linux kernel, and you'll find tons of hacks to make hundreds of devices work.  Even the Macintosh, a closed hardware platform, has to support huge numbers of different hardware configurations, and the OS is expected to adapt to each one, not require you to re-install every time you swap out one or two parts.  Any OS by itself is usually quite lean.

Now, the window manager is a different story.

Don't even get me going about game consoles.  It bothers me when I hear PS3 developers talking about how they "need" Blu-ray.  I can't imagine even filling up a DVD given all the work that's been done with procedural synthesis.  Aren't the Cell's vector processors designed with synthesis in mind?

Hellcoder:  Thanks to windows the complexity of an OS has increased alot. Shadow fading windows, 3D rotating stuff. Compatibility with older OS's. This adds alot of functionality and is never good for the speed.

Shadow effects and the like are easy to do.

The problem is putting things together into monolithic libraries.  In any one session, you might be using less than 5% of the software's features, but it all has to be loaded into memory, just in case you might use it.

But, hey, we just swap it out to VM, so why bother worrying about how big a library is?  Just include everything and let the hard drive swap its butt off!

It's too difficult from a developer's standpoint to splice the libraries into individual tools, and compilers are still too stupid to do that for you.  Optimization is key, not packaging.  Hell, how many times have you worked on a group project and dependencies don't even build properly?  Nobody takes proper packaging seriously.

Hans:  Maybe all developers should be given a machine with restricted resources, and told to make it work usably on that.

That's a law in many good software firms.

Paradox:   The AmigaOS os is the most simplified structure and therefor can be advanced upon much further than any other OS.

Therefore I agree that AmigaOS could be the most efficient and resource saving OS ever.

Interesting username.   ;-)

The reality is that AmigaOS doesn't do very much.  Yes, it's lean on resources, but it doesn't do most of the things you'd expect from a modern OS.

If I wrote a piece of sorting code that was 5 lines long in C, does that make it efficient and fast?  Using more RAM can actually have huge long-term benefits.  You just have to gauge how many resources your customers will have in real-world situations and not go over those limits.

It's also faster and more reliable to write good, maintainable code that gets the job done, rather than cryptic code that is amazingly efficient.  What good is it that you use 30% less RAM, but the code takes ten times longer to develop and debug?

Much of the efficiency that comes from the Amiga is because the hardware and os are tightly integrated together. But you can't get that with generic mass produced hardware, it has to be propriatory and no users want that because its expensive eg remember the powerpc macs cost nearly twice as much as equivalent PC hardware at the time.

I disagree.  Even X86 is pretty efficient if you think about it, because hardware engineers cannot be anywhere near as sloppy as software engineers.  That's the result of cutthroat competition, limited (or rather, costly) resources, and a deep awareness of time.  Hardware engineers always have to know when things happen, while software tends to sit around, wait for other things to get done, and allow everything to get out of sync.

To improve responsiveness, maybe software compilers should introduce more controls to monitor time, like hardware compilers.  Not like I have any experience with hardware design, of course.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »
Probably the closest thing to what AmigaOS would have become if not for bankruptcy is QNX.  I don't think it would have gone the Leopard route.  But the whole question is ridiculous because Amiga could not have survived, Apple, a far bigger company survived because of Steve Jobs personality, all the other alternative OSs died, sucked into the great Microsoft void.  Even with Jobs there was still a Microsoft bailout and the iPod revolution needed to save Apple.  The odds against Amiga's survival were, in retrospect, astronomical.

The current Amiga survives by outsourcing American jobs to India, which is far less endearing than the iPod...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
...It's also faster and more reliable to write good, maintainable code that gets the job done, rather than cryptic code that is amazingly efficient.  What good is it that you use 30% less RAM, but the code takes ten times longer to develop and debug?

...Even X86 is pretty efficient if you think about it, because hardware engineers cannot be anywhere near as sloppy as software engineers.  That's the result of cutthroat competition, limited (or rather, costly) resources, and a deep awareness of time.  Hardware engineers always have to know when things happen, while software tends to sit around, wait for other things to get done, and allow everything to get out of sync.

To improve responsiveness, maybe software compilers should introduce more controls to monitor time, like hardware compilers.

Hi Waccoon,

I'm also not really an expert, but I know enough to know that you have raised an important point here. Hardware processes are timing critical, but most software processes are not, particularly when multithreading, multiprocessing, and multitasking is being performed. Generally, if a software process is really timing critical, it will either demand the sole context focus of the hardware it's running on, or if it is just order critical, it will either wait for particular stages of completion, or have its entire task written in a single thread. More often, with personal computers, tasks will be separated into threads of order critical jobs, and mutiple threads of a given task, and multiple tasks can run concurrently.

The draw backs you mentioned with having a detailed analysis of software's runtime behaviour, and a lot of effort put in to optimisation, are always critical with commercial development. High level abstraction, and modularisation also really help to keep the code manageable, portable adaptable, etc.

There are very expensive compilers which do a great job of separating programs into efficient, out of order processing, etc, but many developers don't have the opportunity to compile with these. Sometimes, the processing savings are just not worth it, as well. Some universities actually lease the idle time on their expensive compilers.

At uni, I did an analysis of different compiler's optimisation of common sets of code. For some types of tasks, it really makes a huge difference. Some object oriented code can become a laughable mess when built with free compilers.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 01:31:35 PM »

itix wrote:

Is AmigaOS really mean and lean because of its design philosophy or is it more to do with its situation?

Kickstart 3.1 was shipped with six DD floppies

???
My Kickstart 3.1 was 1 ROM chip for each of my A500s and two ROM chips for A1200 or A4000.

What came on six disks was OS3.1 (Workbench 3.1)...

itix wrote:

and you could boot to full Workbench from single floppy. It ran on an Amiga 500 (68000/7MHz) with 1MB RAM.

I can remember when I had the OS running, "Kind Words" was printing an huge document in the background, "ACall" was downloading something from an BBS in the background for quite a while, "Reflections" was rendering an image in the background while I was playing a game - and all that on my basic A500 with 512kB CHIPMEM...

itix wrote:

Try this with HP's OS 3.5 or 3.9!

As far as I remember OS3.5 and OS3.9 require an 68020 CPU and an CD-ROM drive.
A standard A500 doesn't have this - you would have to expand it first to run one of the mentioned OS versions.

All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »

Dandy wrote:

itix wrote:

Is AmigaOS really mean and lean because of its design philosophy or is it more to do with its situation?

Kickstart 3.1 was shipped with six DD floppies

???
My Kickstart 3.1 was 1 ROM chip for each of my A500s and two ROM chips for A1200 or A4000.

What came on six disks was OS3.1 (Workbench 3.1)...

That's why he wrote *with* and not *on*.
I have spoken !

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:36:14 AM »

AmiKit wrote:
@stefcep2
Amikit looks like the most modern AmigaOs you can get in terms of eye candy and "features" but it is far slower than Amigasys or classic amiga, which aren't as "feature" rich.

http://www.amikit.amiga.sk/benchmarks.htm

Yep OK CPU speed is dependent on x86 CPU hardware so will always trump 680x0 these days but the interesting one is the intuition benchmark.  In my day to day use I would say Amikit with magellan or OS2.9 feels to be running far slower than AIAB and Amigasys than this benchmark would indicate.  Much of this has to do with the font antialaising which does look great

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »
Hi,

By the time OS3.0 appeared, you needed a Mac way larger than the basic Amiga to run Mac OS, and it´s multitasking was very poor.
    It is unfair to compare WB3.0 with windows 3.1, because it was older. It should be better to compare it with Win95, and this one is bigger, slower, requires more memory, and it´s multitasking still was way inferior.
    I believe if development of Amiga Os could keep up with Mac and Windows we would have a system around 100Mb or maybe 200Mb, mainly due to extra tools, and better graphics. There is no need to waste more than this to look cool, as Aros has proved  :-D

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 12:20:26 AM »

W
Also keep in mind that the Amiga really didn't have a lot of drivers for things.  The whole OS was pretty much hard-coded just for the chipset, which of course was its greatest downfall.  Take a look at the Linux kernel, and you'll find tons of hacks to make hundreds of devices work.  Even the Macintosh, a closed hardware platform, has to support huge numbers of different hardware configurations, and the OS is expected to adapt to each one, not require you to re-install every time you swap out one or two parts.  Any OS by itself is usually quite lean.

this is my point: the fact the computers need to install and load in device drivers is the windows way of doing things: each device could have its drivers built into rom, so that the driver automatically interfaces with the OS as soon as the device is plugged in: nothing should have to be installed, or loaded at boot, this is true plug and play, not plug and pray

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 01:17:54 AM »

The reality is that AmigaOS doesn't do very much. Yes, it's lean on resources, but it doesn't do most of the things you'd expect from a modern OS.

Such as?  The OS is merely the vehicle whereby the user interacts with the computer.  The real "doing' happens when an app is used to write a letter, play a game,video, cd mp3, edit video, burn discs, do a 3d render etc, web, email etc.  The Os does none of this , but provide an onscreen display, mouse and keyboard to let the user issue commands via the app to the hardware to do this stuff.  The AmigaOS is perfectly capable in its current form to allow the user to interact with the hardware every bit as well as Vista, except the Amiga software apps don't have all the same functionality of the Vista apps because there's been no development in the apps to speak of for 10 years.
Getting back to core OS functions,  how can it possibly REQUIRE megabytes of programming code so as to work out where the mouse pointer is on the screen? why does an old P3 500  512 meg boot xp as fast as a dual core running at 3000 mhz with 4 times as much ram, much faster hard drive, bigger caches? Yeah hard drive spin speeds are not much faster but the data density is so much higher, so more bytes per spin are being read, but even so it still takes 30+ seconds to boot!

The point is the user experience in interacting with the computer (ie using the OS) has not improved despite hardware speed and capacity increasing 1000 fold. Thats an issue related to the fact that the hardware x86 design is dictated by the OS that will run on it, not the other way around.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 11:23:41 PM »
stefcep2 wrote:
Thats an issue related to the fact that the hardware x86 design is dictated by the OS that will run on it, not the other way around.

In what way is an x86 processor limited by the OSs that run on it? Windows could be ported to any processor architecture and still look and feel the same it does on x86, provided the processor was fast enough to run it. Similarly, any OS could be ported to x86.

Waccoon wrote:
I disagree. Even X86 is pretty efficient if you think about it, because hardware engineers cannot be anywhere near as sloppy as software engineers

One of the main factors that prevents x86 being efficient is the legacy of previous chip designs. One example of x86 legacy is the A20 line gate. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A20_line
I believe the 64bit chips leave some of this hardware legacy behind.

Going back to the original topic, is AmigaOS bloated? Depends on what you're comparing it to. Compared to Windows XP/Vista and OSX it is certainly not bloated. It is also small compared to most modern Linux distributions. However, compared to an OS like MenuetOS it is large. Take a look:
http://www.menuetos.net/

What we should really be asking is does AmigaOS do what we need it to do? I believe the answer is yes. Most of the functionality of computers should come from apps anyway.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 01:28:32 AM »
Yea, an OS goes only so far.   How much time does the average user cares about an application loader is debatable.  The Amiga has, at this point, no killer apps and lacks even most of the basic apps to get into the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 02:41:22 AM »

[/quote]

In what way is an x86 processor limited by the OSs that run on it? Windows could be ported to any processor architecture and still look and feel the same it does on x86, provided the processor was fast enough to run it. Similarly, any OS could be ported to x86.

I do not know enough details about x86 **processors**, i was talking to the whole PC architectural design which nowdays is x86 based for home use.(Nevertheless per clock cycle its my understanding that the x86 processors did less than 68k.).  Whether you run Windows, OSX, or Linux, they are still running on the same hardware design, along with all its limitations.  

Waccoon wrote:
I disagree. Even X86 is pretty efficient if you think about it, because hardware engineers cannot be anywhere near as sloppy as software engineers

What we should really be asking is does AmigaOS do what we need it to do? I believe the answer is yes. Most of the functionality of computers should come from apps anyway.[/quote]

Agreed.  The question that needs to be asked is why does this functionality need 1000 times the hardware resources under windows, or put another way can't the user interact with the PC 1000 times faster

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 02:45:52 AM »
Absolutely, an OS is nothing without Apps, but I think we should care when we buy hardware that is 1000 times faster and spacous and only to find we go 50% slower in being able to control those apps just because we 'upgraded" the OS.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 05:57:54 AM »

HenryCase wrote:
stefcep2 wrote:
Thats an issue related to the fact that the hardware x86 design is dictated by the OS that will run on it, not the other way around.

Waccoon wrote:

One of the main factors that prevents x86 being efficient is the legacy of previous chip designs. One example of x86 legacy is the A20 line gate. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A20_line

This is not applicable for EFI enabled Mactels, some Gateway MCEs, some Xeon servers boards unless you want to boot non-EFI enabled boot loaders (via EFI's Compatibility Support Module (CSM)). Early IA-32 Mactels doesn't have CSM.

In post-1997 PCs, modern IBM PC and compatibles do not have separate chips physically on-board (keyboard controller, interrupt controller and etc); they actually have one chip which emulates all these IBM PC and compatible chips called the Super I/O chip. The Super I/O chip emulates A20 line and 'Fast A20 gate' options.

A20 gate issue doesn’t affect computation performance once X86 enters Protected Mode.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline AndrewBell

• Show only replies by AndrewBell
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 18, 2007, 06:19:14 AM »

hamtronix wrote:
TinyXP gave me no problems and was vastly shrunk in size...

Dig deep enough and you will find problems. Buttons that no longer work, settings tabs that are completely ghosted, and software that just won't install because it needs some obscure service that you never used before. Yes, Windows can be made much smaller, but it's far from problem free.

As for AmigaOS being bloated, it's all relative. My Nokia N95 has about 100MB of software by default. Compared to that the 200MB for OS4 is quite good.
________
DAIHATSU COPEN HISTORY
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:37:05 AM by AndrewBell »
Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire.