Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga (the company) dead?  (Read 7856 times)

Description:

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
Re: Is Amiga (the company) dead?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »
Are you sure that the A.inc team aren't really leeches disguised as humans? That photo would confirm so.

Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 05:54:57 PM »
those people NEVER represented the AMIGA community , what the hell was that amiga SDK anyway, waist of money, They where badly managed and are part of the reason the amiga never when anywhere!  I think I hate them!  BAD BAD BAD company.. I realy wish they would just go away and leave the amiga to the open source community!  STUPID! I wish all the copyright law suits and petty in fighting would go away so we can focus on making cool amiaga stuff.. :madashell:

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 06:00:55 PM »
Personaly Amiga inc has singal handedly Killed all hope for any sort of revival of the Amiga they refuse to alow any development using any of the "True" amiga OS and hardware. You wont see any forward motion with an Amiga as we know it until  the Amiga Inc. people all get old and pass away and finaly let the patents go. :roll:
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »

humppa wrote:

It's just a bit strange that the company registration is listed as "inactive" and the license has expired 09/30/2004.

That's cos they're now a registered corporation in Delaware after the whole ITEC/KMOS 'hide the IP from our creditors' game.
 AFAIK, 'they' are still in Washington, and use Garry Hare's  home as a mail drop..yeah, a real professional outfit, but do we really expect anything else from them.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Plaz

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 06:39:38 PM »
@cpfuture

Yeah, Starblazers avatars! :-)

@motorollin

A very funny and accurate picture of how I veiw the state of Amiga Inc. So all that's left is the 3rd person shooter game shotgun blast to end the game.

(No shooting real people though!)

Plaz

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 06:57:53 PM »

krize wrote:
"Amiga Inc are still much very alive but just not very active."

Not very active, hehe, using several years to send out some t-shirts surely is not being much alive or active IMHO...

Why bother ? Because they own the Amiga :((

Not completly true.Amiga inc only has the right to use (and sublicense) the amiga logo and technologies but gateway still own it.Note that in this context  Ainc only has a license to the PPC processor because if AOS is ported to x86 the the contract that gateway have with Microsoft will be violated because gateway would have another OS running in X86 (is their os even it is licensed to others)
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline krize

• Show only replies by krize
    • Horrordelic Records
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:18 PM »
What a bad deal IMHO ...

But it seems to me that they refuse to make any money! They could have sold alot more now if they just started getting acts together! Actually sell something...(if its not too late...)

What about the 68k series? gateway still owns it ?
MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline Plaz

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »
Note that in this context Ainc only has a license to the PPC processor because if AOS is ported to x86 the the contract that gateway have with Microsoft will be violated

Anyone have details on such a contract? I know MS has been accused of bullying desktop vendors about selling systems with OS's other than MS, like linux. But is there and actual contract prohibiting gateway from developing and selling a competitive OS on x86?

Plax

Offline Fransexy_

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »

krize wrote:
What a bad deal IMHO ...

But it seems to me that they refuse to make any money! They could have sold alot more now if they just started getting acts together! Actually sell something...(if its not too late...)

What about the 68k series? gateway still owns it ?

Gateway owns it and Ainc has a license but there is no sense in develop for 68k

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 09:20:11 PM »
Maybe Amiga Inc. is doing some Missing Trader VAT Fraud (also known as carousel fraud)? It is rife here in the UK and Europe. It was on TV the other night, one company was able to make a couple of hundred million pounds in only a month from buying and selling non existant hardware and then moved to Switzerland where there is no extradition treaty for VAT fraud.

Couple of hundred million quid and we'd soon have Amiga back at full strength.

Offline BerndWTopic starter

• Show only replies by BerndW
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 12:09:42 AM »
That's cos they're now a registered corporation in Delaware after the whole

Me totally confused now... This company is definitely not from Delaware...

whois amiga.com:

Amiga, Inc.
P.O. Box 887
Ravensdale, Washington 98051
United States

If there is a company in Delaware, it seems to be unrelated to this www.amiga.com domain. What does the Delaware company do? Do they have a web site?

Maybe Amiga Inc. is doing some Missing Trader VAT Fraud

I heard that a lot of companies that sell online don't pay VAT. Until they get caught...

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »
I heard that a lot of companies that sell online don't pay VAT. Until they get caught...

No VAT in the USA. If they send something internationally, the recipient is responsible for any of that.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 05:04:18 AM »
Speaking of Amigas and death, why wasn't Jay Miner cryogenically preserved? His cryonics chamber could have had jayminer.lha on the front...

:laughing:

Offline charliestu

• Show only replies by charliestu
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »
  Although I bought several real Amigas since Commodore Amiga went belly up in 1994 (funny that that was the year Amiga followed Commodore on my footie-team's shirts, one of which I occasionally fondle), IMO Amiga is hibernating/aestivating eternally and I recommend purchasing/enjoying the excellent latest Cloanto Amiga Forever 2006 CD/2 DVD package

http://www.amigaforever.com/

and looking at/bookmarking into 'Favourites'

Piracy link removed : watch the posting guidelines there guys

PCs are so cheap/good now that I am happy to use them whilst I gaze fondly at my remaining boxed CD32 with Amiga 3000 keyboard, & my Amiga 500 with Datel Action Replay 111/Zipstick etc.

http://www.zombienexus.com/forums/cms_view_article.php?aid=28&page=1

of which I have 2 is ideal for playing the great old Amiga Bitmaps games and for playing the great lost Fastram Amiga game 'Dozer'(which IMO should be in MS OS free supplied games, or repackaged by Hanna-Barbara owners as 'Fred Flinstone And Dino'.

Offline irishmike

• Show only replies by irishmike
    • http://www.jmikeneedham.net
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 08:22:07 AM »
I actually had hoped that Gateway would do something good when they obtained the rights. :-/  But they really had no real interest in meeting the needs of the Amiga Community either IMO.

If only the community could get the rights -- I have no problem with someone making fair profit from sales of licenses of the OS and other software... but any company should work (a lot harder than A.Inc seems to be) to meet the needs of the community of folks (us) who have kept the platform viable since Commodore went under.  I too, feel that the rights should fall to folks who want to work with the existing community.  Again, IMO, A.Inc really only cares that the AmigaOS was small and efficient and therefore could be used in small embedded devices... that seems to be their main focus, not making desktop OS's.

I suppose it is cool that my cell phone could one day play the old Sierra Games and such, but that is not the direction they seem to want to go either.  Repurposing AmigaOS for embedded devices is really kind of cool, but in the market right now, it competes with Linux and that embedded Windows OS (used to be called WindowsCE, think now it is called "PocketPC" IIRC).   Anyways, it is just "mini me" of Windows.  Since I like Linux, I find that to be the way to go with the embedded market.  Palm is still hanging in there as well... so I feel that it is bad form to try to repurpose AmigaOS in this way, although I understand (and admire) the reasons for doing this based on how few resources AmigaOS needs to get things done!

Don't get me wrong, I totally would like to see a company get behind the platform and revitalize us and would like to see OS 4 become more than just vapourware as well.

Anyhow, I think at this point, we are going to have two camps (like I said before -- this is your current Macintosh situation as well -- although the difference obviously is that Apple did not go under and be out of the industry for 20 years with so much catch up to "modernize" their OS).  The first camp is going to be "Classic (Retro) Amiga" and that camp is going to be unsupported by and large except by each other -- no real change here for us!  The second camp would be the new/modern Amiga OS (4+) and would be hopefully making decisions to be a REAL alternative to Windows or even Macintosh.   IMO, this "move" that Apple made from OS 9 to OS X was the best thing they ever done!  Plus, they made a whole vertical market for themselves with the iPod and of course the music side of the business really has paid off in spades.

The comparison I am trying to make, is I know people that refuse to give up OS 9 (some of them even refuse to give up MacOS 7 or 8)!  Those folks are limited to the software they can use now because it is not officially supported.  Heck I know of folks that are using Apple II series machines today and are in our boat!

My point here is simply, the Amiga Community is dedicated to the "retro" side of the AmigaOS.  If we got a modern OS that we could use modern applications on (hopefully not from Microsoft), then a lot of us would still have our "retro" machines for the games,etc.. and if it became viable enough -- the new OS for our day to day work.

I guess I don't understand why A. Inc doesn't do what Apple did to speed up the process of development.  If we agree (and I am not saying everyone here will) that to move forward we need a modern OS for the Amiga on modern hardware.  If that is the baseline:  A.Inc or subsequent owners of the rights need to build the OS.  Apple did this by taking FreeBSD (a very solid and stable UNIX) and tweaking it to their liking and tweaking the Kernel... it is still pretty much BSD under the hood!  Then they put their own GUI from the Graphics Engine on Up (Aqua) on top of it and presto!  OS X!   I had bugs sure, but it was only a year from announcement. Obviously, no one except Steve and Co there in Cupertino, CA know how long it took to do all the tweaking to the BSD Subsystem nor how long to develop the GUI front end either.  But they saw that the MacOS was just getting outdated and knew that survival of the company meant modernizing.

I think we are there in the Amiga Platform as well.  Aside from obvious copyright issues, there is no reason development on a modern Amiga OS could not begin exactly the same way.  Build your functionality on top of a known solid system.  IMO, that would not be Linux.   BSD is an excellent choice because it is "rock solid".

Anyhow, all that has been written above is fully the opinion of myself and I would like to see what others think.

I use Macintosh because I hate Microsoft and yet as much as I like Open Office, no native port yet -- they are working on that of course though ;-)  There are times I miss the old OS 9 Mac experience though, but most of the time, I am reminded why OS X is so much better when it does its little bomb thing!!!!

Moral of the story:  When you choose what platform you will compute on, you must choose what "headaches" you wish to deal with.  IMO -- the ones Windows makes are much larger than any *NIX system!  Also, (a sub moral if you will) -- if the computer you are using does what you need it to do, why change to a different platform?

Sorry for such a long post, I am of course going to be studying Engineering at College starting next month -- Imagine that, A 35 (soon to be 36) year old computer veteran with over 20 years experience in the industry going back to school to finally get his BS in Computer and Electronics Engineering!  This does tend to make me long winded because I also program :-)
\\"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.\\"
- Marquis de la Grange

Offline Fransexy_

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 29, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »
I think we are there in the Amiga Platform as well. Aside from obvious copyright issues, there is no reason development on a modern Amiga OS could not begin exactly the same way. Build your functionality on top of a known solid system. IMO, that would not be Linux. BSD is an excellent choice because it is "rock solid".

That was exactly one of the ideas of the gateway era, get a kernel of other OS an put on top of it the Amiga APIs and ideas.First they thinked in QNX and was abandoned then they thinked in linux that also was abandoned.It´s sarcastic that was Amiga (well gateway) the fist who think on it, before even apple, and Apple later would follow this way with his OSX. this was back in the days  the response of the community about the use of a linux kernel for AmigaOS

Later gateway think in Amiga as only  a sort of a web based applets, also abandoned finally gateway decided do nothing with Amiga then appeared Amino that bought the rights to use the Amiga name and technologies (only has a lisence not are the owners) and born Amiga inc.