Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick Gary Hare IRC report, no more 3rd party AmigaOS after OS4.0.  (Read 8234 times)

Description:

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
Re: Quick Gary Hare IRC report, no more 3rd part AmigaOS after OS4.0.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 12:26:57 AM »
@Argo
That's speculation. We don't know what Hyperion's contract covers in reguards to development of Amiga OS 4. It could be just 4.0 or the whole 4.x series.

The voice of reason.

@redrumloa
I've always liked you, and you're one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with -- but what's happened to you? Your posts lately have become so "negative" (both here, and especially at AW) -- I don't know what the problem is, but hopefully they'll get worked out -- I miss the old red.

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 12:32:21 AM »

@redrumloa
I've always liked you, and you're one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with -- but what's happened to you? Your posts lately have become so "negative" (both here, and especially at AW) -- I don't know what the problem is, but hopefully they'll get worked out -- I miss the old red.

I'm sorry if I seem so negative. A certain person really got under my skin...

-Edit-
I also am seeing alot of negativity in the market, if you want more specifics email me, I'll happily elaborate. I need to cool my postings for the day though....
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 12:34:38 AM »
by Wayne on 2005/3/20 18:50:23    @Ben,    That's a very interesting way of saying "OS4 is already in beta so we might as well finish it but we doubt any future releases would ever be done..." Thanks for confirming what Garry said..

That's one way to look at it. Then again he just stated an obvious plain truth. Like the TV show will stay on the air as long as it recieve sufficent Nelson ratings. Well, of course it will. That's how business works. Though what is sufficent?

I'm seeing quite abit of saying something without really saying anything. Which leads to alot of reading inbetween the lines. Which doesn't help as some people use microscopes. All it gets you is a distorted version of what may be the truth.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 12:40:45 AM »

Argo wrote:
 Like the TV show will stay on the air as long as it recieve sufficent Nelson ratings.

"This post gets three Nelsons.  Ha, ha!"

Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 12:42:09 AM »
Prrrpppppft! :lol
int p; // A

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »

mdma wrote:
Though I do thing that what Amiga OS 5 (what AI is working on operating systemwise) will be unlike any AOS we've seen. Which gets me abit concerned.

There's always AROS if things do turn out for the worst with OS4.x.

Aros is still a very long way from being usable for the average user.. It badly needs needs some networking and apps like browser(s), irc clients, mail and so on.. Basicly all that you can use it for today, is running demos and maybe uae.

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 01:38:52 AM »

Tomas wrote:

mdma wrote:
Though I do thing that what Amiga OS 5 (what AI is working on operating systemwise) will be unlike any AOS we've seen. Which gets me abit concerned.

There's always AROS if things do turn out for the worst with OS4.x.

Aros is still a very long way from being usable for the average user.. It badly needs needs some networking and apps like browser(s), irc clients, mail and so on.. Basicly all that you can use it for today, is running demos and maybe uae.

AROS has networking already, with support for NE2000/Realtek and 3com network cards.  It has Mosaic browser which isn't very good to be honest, but AWeb APL is on it's way.

Running demo's?  Which ones?  I haven't seen any demo's for AROS.  I know there is one to be released soon, but AFAIK there are none currently.  MPlayer is coming soon too.

If just half of the effort that was put into OS4 ports of apps was put into a quick port to x86-AROS, then the amount of apps available would be a lot more healthy. It's not as though it takes much effort to port to the same API is it! ;-)

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 01:47:06 AM »
Running demo's? Which ones? I haven't seen any demo's for AROS. I know there is one to be released soon, but AFAIK there are none currently. MPlayer is coming soon too.

This is taken from the AROS site itself:
i386-linux-system
The hosted version for Linux/i386. This is the most complete and mature port, which means that you can run all included programs and demos with it. This archive contains all AROS system binaries compiled from the CVS tree.

And i have also seen a video demo of aros running some small gfx demos, which i believe i also downloaded from the AROS site some months ago.

It didnt have networking added the last time i checked, but i think it is very good news that it is added now.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 02:12:47 AM »
Ahhh... I understand now.  Those demos, I thought you meant these kind of demos! :-D

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 02:45:45 AM »

Wayne wrote:

That's a very interesting way of saying "OS4 is already in beta so we might as well finish it but we doubt any future releases would ever be done..."  Thanks for confirming what Garry said..

Nothing could be further from the truth.

To the extent Garry even said this (which I doubt), the fact remains that future revisions of Amiga OS 4 are a certainty provided there are sufficient sales of Amiga OS 4.0 for Hyperion to cover its development costs.

Hyperion developed OS 4.0 without any substantial support from Amiga Inc. I fail to see why suddenly this support would be required to develop subsequent versions of the OS.

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 08:36:34 AM »
I went to bed fuming last night after that IRC session.  I'm still very annoyed.  There was just one question that everybody wanted an answer to:  does AmigaOS have a future.  He was asked several times, but he just wouldn't answer it.

But today, after Hyperion's posts, we know that "OS4.0" will be finished and Hyperion will develop "future revisions", note:  not future versions because Amiga Inc will develop "FUTURE versions" (Hare's words) in-house.

So, for me the situation is an unclear as ever.  I think that unless some clarity is provided then this will harm sales of OS4.  Just who is going to buy AmigaOS when Amiga Inc keeps harping on about an unrelated technology that they've slapped the Amiga branding on, and developing future versions themselves, but won't define where this future version starts nor what it'll consist of, and when Hyperion will be developing future "revisions" (what does that mean?  Bugfixes?).

As for "AmigaAnywhere", this is a 5-year old failed idea re-hashed!  Why?  Even 5 years ago the idea was risky, although had potential with the beginning of the mobile market.  Today, this market is established - all the big players have seats at the table.  Their ideas on AmigaAnywhere also seem rather un-specific - mobile games?  Internet OS?  What?

I'm disappointed, angry, and bewildered... for the at least 5th year we face yet more total uncertainty.  I am fed up of all of this.  Someone needs to produce a concise statement of WTF is going here, or else this disaster is going to turn into yet another exodus of Amiga users to the Mac or Linux.

smithy

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 11:08:55 AM »
One has to be asking, why DEad now?  We all know it was a complete failure, years ago, but why would anyone with an ounce of brains attempt to fly this wounded turkey?  If we all know this as a given, what profit motive is there behind this?  Could it be he smells quick and dirty VC investment before he rolls everything over to yet a new shell corporation?  He already knows the phone industry pass it up five years ago with a "no thanks" response so that's out back when DE was just sort of out of date.  He knows by sales numbers, not many of us give a rat's rearend five years ago, even less today.  So who is left to get money from?

Dammy

Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
@smithy

Ben just said it all really. AmigaOS as we know it will be continued as long as we can sustain ourselves as a market. We may grow, we may shrink, but what Amiga Inc. does with their "AmigaOS" has nothing to do with us.

Offline Effy

• Show only replies by Effy
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2005, 12:01:16 PM »
Okay, so it´s about time OS4 gets finished and we can all start buying it so Hyperion gets paid and they can start working on the next revision :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2005, 12:07:19 PM »
@HyperionMP

Are future revisions of AmigaOS 4 developed by Hyperion or Amiga Inc?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline pjhutch

• Amiga user and developer
    • Show only replies by pjhutch
    • http://www.pjhutchison.org
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 21, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »
AFAIK, Amiga Inc are concentrating on Amiga Anywhere and Hyperion are developing AmigaOS.

I would suspect, in the future, that they would converge so that AmigaOS can run Amiga Anywhere programs. We need Java etc to do that.