Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick Gary Hare IRC report, no more 3rd party AmigaOS after OS4.0.  (Read 8249 times)

Description:

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: Quick Gary Hare IRC report, no more 3rd part AmigaOS after OS4.0.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 10:19:42 PM »
I can assure you that the future of AmigaOS 4.0 is quite safe and secured back in November of 2001.

Continued development of Amiga OS is certain provided there is sufficient financial return.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 10:19:43 PM »
Edited by Admin: Off-topic

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 10:51:49 PM »
Edited by Admin: Off-topic
int p; // A

Offline SidVicious

• Show only replies by SidVicious
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 11:25:31 PM »
If AmigaOS 4.0 is the end of AmigaOS, why don't release it under GPL and Open Source? Serious, if AmigaOS 4.0 realy goes open source, then maybe someone will make a Macintosh version of it. I think it would be possible to create a Macintosh version of the AmigaOS 4.0, that would work good too, if it only gets open source and GPL. I think that would be the best for AmigaOS, couse i don't think anyone else then the regualar old Amiga users are ready to buy a AmigaONE. In the end, Linux works great on both Macintosh and PC computers, MacOS X is a great operating system and Linux too, and there is many application for Windows XP and MacOS X. The best would be if there would be at least a Macintosh version of AmigaOS 4.0 that would work on the first G3 Mac computers and up. Then, maybe more people would start using AmigaOS, not as their primary OS, but for an alternative to the quite hard Linux.

Offline kgrach

• Show only replies by kgrach
    • http://www.revanchellc.com
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 11:28:44 PM »
Edited by Admin: Personal Attack

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 11:34:15 PM »
Edited by Admin: Off-Topic

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 11:37:01 PM »
Edited by Admin: Personal Attack
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 11:44:30 PM »
I have to agree with your synopsis.  It wasn't as though we didn't already know it, but the Amiga desktop platform is dead.  All they're doing is pushing the same tired old AmigaDE in a bright new package at people who don't want it.

Though I have no idea what did, or did not happen in reality, I would at least hope Bolton gets paid.  I know what it's like to have a former employer screw you out of large sums of money then make up a malicious load of {bleep} about you.

Wayne

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 11:49:34 PM »

HyperionMP wrote:
I can assure you that the future of AmigaOS 4.0 is quite safe and secured back in November of 2001.

Continued development of Amiga OS is certain provided there is sufficient financial return.

But what about os4.1 and so on?? I think most people are worried that there will be no further versions after OS4 is final.

I am one of those who wont invest in a AmigaONE if AmigaOS ends up being dropped after 4.0.

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 11:50:23 PM »
@Ben,

That's a very interesting way of saying "OS4 is already in beta so we might as well finish it but we doubt any future releases would ever be done..."  Thanks for confirming what Garry said..

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 12:09:46 AM »
Red,
 That's speculation. We don't know what Hyperion's contract covers in reguards to development of Amiga OS 4. It could be just 4.0 or the whole 4.x series. What Amiga, Inc. is working on in house could very well be AOS 5. Which would be sort of consistant with what Amiga, Inc.'s previous management laid out. Granted the grain of salt nature makes this all rather speculative and foggy.

Though I do thing that what Amiga OS 5 (what AI is working on operating systemwise) will be unlike any AOS we've seen. Which gets me abit concerned.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 12:11:56 AM »
Though I do thing that what Amiga OS 5 (what AI is working on operating systemwise) will be unlike any AOS we've seen. Which gets me abit concerned.

There's always AROS if things do turn out for the worst with OS4.x.

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 12:13:55 AM »
Red,
 That's speculation.

It sure is.

Which would be sort of consistant with what Amiga, Inc.'s previous management laid out.

The old management is the current management.

If anything ever becomes of OS5 before 2010 from the Bill & Fleecy show, track me down wherever I am and I will eat my shoe immediately.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2005, 12:18:49 AM »
@Red

Is your shoe Atkins compatible? ;-)

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 12:20:21 AM »
by HyperionMP on 2005/3/20 17:19:42    I can assure you that the future of AmigaOS 4.0 is quite safe and secured back in November of 2001.    Continued development of Amiga OS is certain provided there is sufficient financial return.

Alot of us, I think, are more concerned about 4.1. Will ther e be further development in the Amiga OS 4.x series, given sufficient finacial returns, beyond Amiga OS 4.0? If so, will that be done by Hyperion or Amiga, Inc.?

We're just feeling alittle insecure about the future of Amiga OS is all and would like some reassurance.

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 21, 2005, 12:26:57 AM »
@Argo
That's speculation. We don't know what Hyperion's contract covers in reguards to development of Amiga OS 4. It could be just 4.0 or the whole 4.x series.

The voice of reason.

@redrumloa
I've always liked you, and you're one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with -- but what's happened to you? Your posts lately have become so "negative" (both here, and especially at AW) -- I don't know what the problem is, but hopefully they'll get worked out -- I miss the old red.