Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any hobbyist native OS in the past for classic Amigas?  (Read 4776 times)

Description:

Offline ptekTopic starter

• Show all replies
Any hobbyist native OS in the past for classic Amigas?
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
I'm wondeing if was there any attempt to create an native 68k OS for the classic Amiga as alternative to AmigaOS/Workbench... If I'm not mistaken there is none? Excluding the Kickstart replacement, of course since it targets AmigaOS compatibility.

Although I understand this at a certain point where the classic AmigaOS being amazing enough for the limited HW to discourage any possible attempt to do any other OS I find somewhat hard to accept the idea that no skilled OS enthusiast never started playing with this.
Onions have layers ...

• Show all replies
Re: Any hobbyist native OS in the past for classic Amigas?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
I never tried Scalos or proDAD in the past but like said before, Scalos is presented as a Workbench replacement (like that last versions of DOpus) and not as a real OS, that would boot the Amiga, managing every hardware component and supplying its own software layer without any calls to AmigaOS, exposing an API. In fact, a true AmigaOS replacement.

As for the linux, well it's a port of an existent OS to the Amiga, not anything new in concept.

Something like building an OS from scratch would for sure be difficult to implement as a hobby - take AROS for an example - but I wouldn't be surprised if an OS developer enthusiast did some attempts. It seems if there were such cases nobody published or announced their attempts.
Onions have layers ...

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;634694
Well, if you ran ARP and Daves Jazzbench, you could pretty much have an alternative OS when 2.0 was still called AmigaDOS 1.4.

Of course ther was NetBSD for all MMU-Amigas with 8MB of RAM in the 90s.

ARP replaced some AmigaOS1.x resources like the file requester but I don't think the goal was to get a full OS replacement. In fact, it co-existed with AmigaOS. I see it more like an enhancement for AmigaOS.
Onions have layers ...

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;634698
You could look at it that way, but "hobbyist operating system" makes me think more of roll-your-own projects than keeping an older OS up and running.

It's a pity there aren't more hobbyist OSes for non-x86 systems - it'd be fun to see something like KolibriOS or some other minimalist assembly-based hobby project on the Amiga or other platforms.

My possible explanation for the number of hobbyist OS for the x86 was due to the fact that Windows was really crap these days and the number of x86 machines was a lot higher. And the Amiga needed no replacement for its wonderfull OS.
Onions have layers ...

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;634751
QDOS - Sinclair QLDOS replacement. It worked pretty well on my classic Amigas - full replacement of everything Amiga.
There is also Kick rom replacement with QDOS for UAE.

Interesting. Must try it soon.
Onions have layers ...