Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini  (Read 21783 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Well-said.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;685124
She has been using an Amiga for 27 years and still doesn't understand CPUs? No wonder they say women know nothing about computers :-(
Dumbshít.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »
Quote from: smerf;685189
by todays standards "Just what exactly is Amiga related?"  an old archaic computer that is a hobby computer, nothing more, nothing less. A collectors computer to keep all us old farts remembering our days of yesteryear.
Speak for yourself; I was born in 1985 and didn't even know what the Amiga was until I was 17. (Grew up on those oh-so-awful Macs that you go off at the merest mention of.) I'm part of the Amiga community because I appreciate the Amiga for what it is, not for the nostalgia I don't have for it. It might indeed be best classified as a hobby machine these days (though the only crucial part of my daily life I don't think I could conduct on my A1200 is my VST endeavors and listening to the MP3 portions of my music collection,) but I've never considered "hobby" to be a slur, myself.

Golly gee whiz, really, maybe like MorphOS, Aros, minimig, Amiga X1000, and Natami,  we can call all of them takers, or we can call them developers trying to give the Amiga a new start somewhere.
While I'll recognize the ongoing debate over the merits of each, you know what none of the above are doing? They're not slapping a free OS on commodity hardware, adding a sticker, and trying to sell it for 50-90% markup. Any of the above might conceivably be said to be "trying to give the Amiga a new start somewhere," but what CUSA is doing is nothing of the kind.

No, you sure don't live in a vacuum, you live in something worse, just like all the other people here on Amiga.org, you live in the past, you don't want to see it go away, you don't want to advance a go with the future, where the programs are a little harder to use because they do so much more.
The worst kind of futurists are the ones who act as though wanting to remain with something old and familiar is a moral failing and a mark of inferiority. I don't know what you're like in daily life, smerf, but here, you're a horrible arrogant twit. You're not somehow superior by dint of not being attached to old tech, no matter what you think.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »
Quote from: Middleman;685195
I know Barry may have upset you guys with his previous unfulfilled product announcements and gaffs, but to be serious he's working under a lot of pressure. CUSA is no Apple with years of experience or budgets the size of a country's Balance of Payments accounts. They are still a fledgling company with only 2 years under their belt and are limited by the budgets they can spend. In particular is Barry....he is at heart a numbers man. And to convince him to produce the right products for us, he and his stakeholders Amiga Inc. and the related Commodore licensors they have to believe the market is still there, is supportable and is sustainable...
You know what? I've worked under pressure too. It makes me irritable and snappish sometimes - what it doesn't make me is a crude, tactless gasbag filled with unwarranted self-importance. In the two years CUSA have been active around here, Barry has been consistently rude to anybody who questions his actions or his plans, has allowed his company to post a large number of blatantly fake promotional materials (honestly, a trained monkey could do a better job with Photoshop,) and only sends Leo around to cozy up to the community when he really puts his foot in it (despite repeated assertions that we're "not the target market.") This isn't a matter of budgetary limitations or lack of confidence in the market, this is a matter of Barry being a sleaze.

Also I think most of you guys have failed to realize the scope of what CUSA has brought themselves under. It is a HUGE undertaking to revive the Commodore and the Amiga brands, as you would probably know the past 20 years have shown from other endeavors into the foray that have failed miserably.
That's a load of shít. In two years, all we've gotten are comically overpriced PC builds in some-degree-of-customized cases and constant assurances that something actually Amiga-related is definitely probably maybe in the works, in the distant future, if everything goes well. No plans, no details, no nothing. It's a stalling tactic, and it's screamingly obvious.

You need REAL INNOVATION AND REAL GUTS and money to get out there and say you can do it to revive Commodore…..
If I could reach you, I would smack you. I've done as much bagging on the X1000 as anybody, but for all my problems with the product, Trevor has shown guts and know-how and passion. He's the kind of person that deserves accolades for mere accomplishment, if we're going to be giving them out. Barry is a furniture reseller trying to make a fast buck off whatever gullible dupes he can scrape together, and he's not one hundredth the scrappy underdog enterpreneur that Trevor is (to say nothing of guys like Jens or the NatAmi team.)

But such risks can be lessened….if we work together as groups coming together, to create that demand. If you want them to produce the products you want, they're going to have to need money and capital. And the only way they're going to do this is your support for them by buying their products. This is the same for everybody whether you are Acube, Aeon, Amikit or otherwise….
The difference being that Amikit actually makes things that I might want. Giving CUSA money for things I have no desire for and can't afford is not going to get me anywhere closer to the things I'd actually like, it's going to encourage them to produce more things I don't want and can't afford.

CUSA are no former CBM.....but please give them time. They will do good for the Amiga community eventually. I know they will…please have some faith….
I gave them plenty of time, and they've not only failed to provide any evidence of progress in any direction I'd like to see progress in, they've manage to alienate damn near everyone in this community. I think that says it all, really.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
Quote from: Middleman;685267
I'm not affiliated with CUSA, but if I was its CEO I would apologise to you here....yes they handled that rather badly. If anything I would say just please don't judge Barry too hard.....he's a firm Commodorian for sure, just not a PR kind of guy....
Don't judge him? Don't judge him based on two years of observed public behavior? What the hell am I supposed to judge him on? If someone is consistently, observably a douche and a sleaze for two straight years, that's not an issue of "not a PR kind of guy," that's a track record. Even if we had any evidence to believe that he's a "firm Commodorian" (we don't,) everything he's said and done in the past two years has been ample indication not to trust him with anything, least of all my money.

Point taken.....the prices are rather high I agree I don't doubt that. But also, you need to remember that the reason why we now have much higher component costs compared to yesteryear is, first, we have inflation. From something costing $500 in 1985 will be around $980 today.
That's another load of shít. Computers in general are massively cheaper today than they were in 1985, inflation notwithstanding, and I can buy a perfectly good assortment of hardware at the Commodore 64's initial price, desktop or laptop. CUSA's machines aren't ludicrously expensive because of inflation; people have priced out equivalent-spec machines to the "Amiga Mini" and come up with a price tage of $900-1300. (Including the etching.) They're ludicrously expensive because Barry is adding massive markup in hopes that some dumbass will be stupid enough to order one.

That said, the closest we've had yet in recent years with this idea of 'computers for the masses not the classes' has been Apple. The current iPad is successful because it is actually following a Tramiel-style tactic with vertical integration of the manufacturing process. Apple can do this because it has its own plants. Having your own chip-fab plant goes a long way to maintaining costs in the long run, and Steve Jobs was well shrewd when he acquired PA Semi.
Uhh, no. Putting aside the issue that sourcing and rebadging ≠ vertical integration, Apple sells laptops-without-keyboards with a paltry amount of RAM and Flash storage up to less than half the capacity of the hard drive in my three-year-old netbook at prices you can buy a full laptop for, and their actual laptops for much more. That "computers for everyone" jazz is just marketing babble.

Well with the current prices of new components being produced, we're not going to expect miracles in terms of pricing. After all, Amiga IS a 20+ year old product....new stuff is bound to cost more and old stuff less....
Again, if we're talking commodity hardware, that's purest bullshít - the comparison between price and computing power today and 20 years ago is absolutely mind-blowing. And it's beside the point, anyway - whether or not their prices were justified, how would shelling out for things I don't want encourage a company to give me what I do want?

I know you're anxious but CUSA is still young, and I think giving it 2 years is still a little premature. As someone else said, you need to give them about 5 years to see whether they've succeeded (or not). But then again you are talking about the restart of a 58-year old brand with at least 40 years of business experience and manufacturing prowess behind it before it fell....it'll take CUSA I reckon a fair amount of time before they could get to their level...
Two years of douchebaggery, fast talk, and shoddy manufacturing isn't "a little premature," it's a God-damn tradition.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
Quote from: persia;685301
When I look at Berry of C=USA I am reminded more of Ron Popiel than Steve Jobs.
What a terrible thing to say about Ron Popeil...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
Quote from: Middleman;685321
It's not like Leo hasn't tried before.....he has. I remember speaking to him last year about how things were getting on, and he said he had been in touch with the relevant Amiga parties including Jerri Elsworth and Aeon to work on things.
Yes, they did say they had talked with Jerri - evidently nothing ever came of that (assuming "we talked with her" doesn't simply mean "we sent off an email and want to make that sound grandiose.") Leo is...better than Barry, at least, but although he at least understands that maybe alienating half the Amiga community isn't a good thing, he's merely running damage control for all the stupid things Barry says and does. Ultimately he's stuck playing Information Minister to Barry's banana-dictatorship antics; even if he does care for the community, it's not like he can actually achieve anything working for a guy who expressly doesn't give a damn.

Quote from: swoslover;685329
Why the anonimity?

Is an internet forum not anonomous enough?
Given some of the reactions, I presume the OP simply didn't feel like dealing with all the "OMG A GIRL ON THE AMIGA FORUMS" posts in person...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
Re: Takers - Cecilia's? Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
You know what, though? If it's really true that the only worthwhile goal for the Amiga is to be on the technological bleeding edge, and it's really so impossible for it to achieve that goal and still be at all Amiga-like, then frankly it's just time to lay it to rest, not to flay the skin off the corpse and parade something else around dressed in it.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;685399
If you ignore them, they will go away.  Don't buy their stuff.  Quit talking about them, it's free publicity.

How many of their web hits come from here?  A marketing person would read that as interest.
If talking about it here leads unwary newcomers to A.org, where we can have an open brawl about it, instead of to CUSA's own corner of the Internet where anybody who looks at Barry funny is banned, then it's worth it for that if nothing else. As much as marketing folks like to believe otherwise, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 04:54:50 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;685423
As far as the comment in the first post, I don't think CUSA is in business to please hardcore C=/Amiga users. They're for the masses and masses remember C64.
That's what they've said, yet they keep coming back to try to cozy up to the community when nobody in the real world wants their products...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:31 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;685437
7) When you pay for a premium company name made pc, you pay more. A dell cost more than a no name. Thats life. They deserve to get a bit more for their pc's than a no name gets. regardless of parts, price of parts, whatever.
While this is true enough, for 50-90% markup (and I'm being generous to them with that estimate,) the damn thing ought to come in a coach drawn by unicorns and driven by half a dozen attractive women who give free massages.

And anyway there's still the matter of them being shadier than a back alley at midnight, compulsively rude, and unable to think through the most basic aspects of PC design without a whole forum to point out their elementary mistakes to them.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »
Quote from: smerf;685546
Quit playing around with old junk arcahiac soon to be obsolete CPU's, just develope an operating system for the average PC.
You're against archaic CPUs, so you're endorsing an architecture from 1978?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:43 AM »
Quote from: smerf;685552
just imagine a PC turning on and not booting into windows but actually booting into the Amiga updated OS. Imagine being able to surf the net with this system, play up to date 3D modern games, with graphics and sound that are real like, and yet this system still has the functionallity of the Amiga utitlities. Just getting windows off my PC's would be a joy in itself. Never having to read Microsofts EULA, or if i change memory or a hard drive, having to call some body in India to get my computer validated. Never having to worry about how many times did I install this stupid OS, is it five or three uses before I have to buy another license.

Today's modern day computers, are great, it is the stupid Windows OS we have to use that messes them up. Linux does a good job on most software, but they lack the modern day games that have come out. If the game companies programmed games for Linux, Microsoft would probably be through.
That's all very lovely, but I don't see how it makes PPC "archaic" when it's a solid thirteen years younger than x86...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;685563
Yes but its an architecture that has survived in the desktop and laptop market, unlike ppc.

PPC is dead dead dead.
Wait, how does "is not in use in desktops or laptops" equal "dead?" Just saying something doesn't make it so.

God forbid someone choose x86 so they don't have to pay 3,000$ for a computer that a 50$ used mac mini matches.
I don't have to pay $3000, I paid $10 for a Power Mac G4 at the recycle center that exceeds that Mini ;)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:06:33 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;685567
Aw man, I paid $7 more then you!
What a rip!
For that kind of markup, it should've been CUSA-badged! ;P