Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9456 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show all replies
Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »
Quote from: rebraist;750778
A good joke.
That article sums potatoes and cabbages... windows and android.
I repeat, a good joke.
If you talk about mobile os, well windows has not even 1%...

This is wikipedia, september 2013. With windows at about 90% (as always it's been) for desktop systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Be careful with Wikipedia as just today it informed me that Enduro was only released for the Atari 2600....which is a kind of funny because here I have a clamshell cassette with the game on tape for the Sinclair pregnant calculator (Spectrum AKA Timex computer in the USA) :)

In the corporate world Windows has probably infected 99% of businesses in the western world so that's even worse. In every office I have ever worked it is 1000:1 or 100:1 PC:Mac ratio.

However the statistic of Mac sales vs Wintel sales to new customers in the US is indeed much less than 90%. Students outside those for nerds invariably go for NON Microsoft stuff.

Luckily looking at PS4 vs Xbox 180 (sorry XBONE) it is quite possible they will really screw that up with more draconian DRM, some weird insistence that their $hit online service should STILL be paid for and much weaker performance of hardware in the box. Let's hope Windows 8 and XBONE combine to make a massive dent in their filthy market shares accrued through illegal activities and absolutely pathetic programming ability (or lack there of) :)

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show all replies
Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;750872
When I replace my XP games machine it will be an I7 with win 7. no win8, too much stuff I'll never use.

Chris

I think it's also time to replace my laptop with one I can record HD gameplay videos on WinUAE (so that will have to be an i7 with proper GPU on the motherboard) but Win 7 is such an ugly interface it is pretty certain I will replace it with the Vista GUI which at least looks smart.  It is mostly for security though more than anything else, XP just gets slaughtered at the slightest hint of a TCP/IP connection these days hmmmm

I have had to experience the stupid Win 8 interface once this year and I can promise you it is not something I would ever install. If I have to stare at the screen and wonder WTF it is trying to tell me via this interface when I have an IQ of 137 then clearly it is Microsoft who is deficient not myself :) I had so many family members ask me how to do something on Skype for Win 8 I had to just tell them I don't have a Win 8 machine and if they install and older version there problems would be solved! haha

If however you use some obscure emulators you can not use anything past Vista due to screen access functions provided to applications that have been removed in Windows 7.

XP is the oldest I would go though, if it doesn't run on XP then forget it IMO (DOS games were better on Amiga most of the time and Windows 95/98 is next to impossible to get running without problems on modern hardware).