Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1  (Read 31441 times)

Description:

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Re: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1
« Reply #89 from previous page: October 31, 2016, 09:29:43 AM »
Quote from: Rotzloeffel;815692

It is because of the Memory-Map of the A3000/4000....

$0400 0000 - $07FF FFFF         Motherboard Fast RAM

$0800 0000 - $0FFF FFFF    Coprocessor Slot Expansion

$1000 0000 - $7FFF FFFF      Zorro III Expansion

so only 128 MB Ram are adressable to the Processor-Slot :(

Hmmm - difficult to believe.

Aside from 2 mB CHIP RAM, I do not use the adress space for the mobo ram at all, as I have my 128 mB of 64 bit ram on the CSPPC.
Does the CSPPC count as "Coprocessor Slot Expansion"?

It is really hard to believe that just 128 mB out of the 4096 mB of RAM the 060 can directly address are left for real, physical RAM...

It means that 3968 mB are reserved for the "Memory-Map of the A3000/4000", right?
:confused:  

And this is "hard wired" and cannot be changed?
:shocked:

No way to use unused parts of this "Memory-Map of the A3000/4000" for real, physical RAM?

Bummer - that's really disappointing...
:(
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;815887
Hmmm - difficult to believe.

Aside from 2 mB CHIP RAM, I do not use the adress space for the mobo ram at all, as I have my 128 mB of 64 bit ram on the CSPPC.
Does the CSPPC count as "Coprocessor Slot Expansion"?

YES! It is different in the A1200.... there is NO MOBO-Fastmem and NO Zorro III... So Blizzard with SCSI-Module or BlizzardPPC can use 256 MB or more...

It is really hard to believe that just 128 mB out of the 4096 mB of RAM the 060 can directly address are left for real, physical RAM...

It means that 3968 mB are reserved for the "Memory-Map of the A3000/4000", right?

Zorro III Space YES. So think about a Mediatorboard in your A4000 with a 256 MB GFX-Card and 4 ZoRAM Boards :) That is more than 1 GB of Adressspace.... build a ZoRAM++ with 1 GB for example....

And this is "hard wired" and cannot be changed?

YES

No way to use unused parts of this "Memory-Map of the A3000/4000" for real, physical RAM?

Bummer - that's really disappointing...
:(

Maybe with a Hack something like the 64MB MOBO-Fastram-Hack.... but I have no Idea if this works.....

The aktual update for OS4.1 FE includes a new Feature that you could use Zorro 3 RAM as RAM instead of SWAP-Space. I think they managed it to "swap" parts of the Cyberstorm Memory with Z3-Ram. Let us call it an intelligent "copy" Routine.....so there will be more RAM available, wenn the update comes out.
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Dandy

« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
Quote from: Rotzloeffel;815893

YES! It is different in the A1200.... there is NO MOBO-Fastmem and NO Zorro III... So Blizzard with SCSI-Module or BlizzardPPC can use 256 MB or more...

I always wondered why the inferior A1200 could be loaded with more RAM than an A4k with CSPPC...

Zorro III Space YES. So think about a Mediatorboard in your A4000

Already got a Mediator.

with a 256 MB GFX-Card

I have a 32 mB Voodoo4...

and 4 ZoRAM Boards :)

In the Mediator?
I thought the ZorRAM was for the Zorro Bus.
And all the ZorRAM Memory cannot be used as FastRAM - just as swap memory.
For this I have a 1tB HD at a fraction of the price of one overpriced ZorRAM board.

Furthermore, the RAM on the CSPPC is 64 But wide. I doubt the ZorRAM boards also provide 64 Bit wide RAM.

What I need is more real 64 Bit wide FastRAM on the CSPPC.

IIRC, I have something between 90 and 100 mB FAST available after booting.
If I want to start NetSurf for example, I already need 32 mB just for that.
Then roughly half of the RAM on the CSPPC is already consumed and there's not much left for serious multitasking with e.g. ArtEffect and/or Wildfire7 PPC...

That is more than 1 GB of Adressspace.... build a ZoRAM++ with 1 GB for example....

What for (see my arguments above)?
:confused:  

Maybe with a Hack something like the 64MB MOBO-Fastram-Hack.... but I have no Idea if this works.....

The aktual update for OS4.1 FE includes a new Feature that you could use Zorro 3 RAM as RAM instead of SWAP-Space.

Now this sounds interesting. Can you come up with a link to these news to learn more about it?

But nevertheless - as my main system is OS 3.9/WarpOS 16.1 (I just have an 'experimental' installation of OS 4.0 classic, as it doesn't support my hardware config sufficiently), I would need an OS 3.9 version of this feature and it would have to support my 1 tB harddrive at the UW-SCSI of the CSPPC besides the ZorRAM boards.

I think they managed it to "swap" parts of the Cyberstorm Memory with Z3-Ram. Let us call it an intelligent "copy" Routine.....so there will be more RAM available, wenn the update comes out.

I'm wondering how the Performance is, given the fact that CSPPC's RAM is 64 Bit wide and ZorRAM's is just 32 Bit. I might get better transfer rates with a real harddrive on the UW-SCSI of the CSPPC...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;815899
I'm wondering how the Performance is, given the fact that CSPPC's RAM is 64 Bit wide and ZorRAM's is just 32 Bit. I might get better transfer rates with a real harddrive on the UW-SCSI of the CSPPC...

Most of the Mediatorboards have PCI AND ZorroIII :D so you can install 4 PCI cards AND 4 ZoRAM-Boards if you want.......

Performance was allways the reason for not using Z3-Memory in 4.1 but I think they managed it to get it faster.... think about the WinUAE-users.... they are also limited on 128 MB Fastmem.... they also managed it to use more than 2 GMB Ram on the NG-Amigas.... so let´s wait for the update.....

The informations about more FastRam are very reliable :D
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
Quote from: Rotzloeffel;8159

Performance was allways the reason for not using Z3-Memory in 4.1 but I think they managed it to get it faster.... think about the WinUAE-users....

Wishful thinking. They might finally lift the zorro ram blocade in order to satisfy potential alice customers. On uae there is no speed penalty.

Offline Dandy

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Quote from: Rotzloeffel;815971

Most of the Mediatorboards have PCI AND ZorroIII :D so you can install 4 PCI cards AND 4 ZoRAM-Boards if you want....

Of course!
And I got one of the "rare" ones and have to install Zorro cards in the Zorro III slots on the Micronik Z-III busboard 'beneath' the Mediator:

But wouldn't the access to cards in the Mediator be anyway generally slower than access to cards in a Zorro III Slot?

I don't know how other Mediators work - but with the one I have the information coming from a Zorro III slot would first have to be processed by the Mediator's logic cirucits, before it reaches any slot on the Mediator (see photo).

And processing costs time...

So I would assume that a ZorRAM card in a Zorro III slot directly on the Micronik Z-III busboard must be slightly faster than the same card in a Z-III slot on a Mediator with Z-III slots.

Quote from: Rotzloeffel;815971

think about the WinUAE-users.... they are also limited on 128 MB Fastmem....

My memory may be tricking me, but I'm quite sure that I could set up my outdated AmigaForever 2006 to use more RAM, e.g. 1 gB.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline paul1981

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
Dandy, it sounds like you need to upgrade to the 'inferior A1200' if you'd like 256MB Fast RAM. Anything else is  hack.

Offline Dandy

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;816083

Dandy, it sounds like you need to upgrade to the 'inferior A1200' if you'd like 256MB Fast RAM. Anything else is  hack.

Paul, I actually HAVE a towered A1200.

And it is sitting in the corner and collecting dust for a reason:
It IS inferior compared to an A4000.

The address bus of the Motorola 68EC020 (a variant of the Motorola 68020) in an A1200 just has a word size of 24 Bit, whereby a fully specced version in theory could address an address space of just 16 mB of RAM.

By contrast, the address bus of the A4000 has a word size of real 32 Bit, whereby in theory an address space of 4 gB RAM could be addressed.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me