Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ArchLinux/PPC  (Read 2465 times)

Description:

Offline _kth5_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _kth5_
    • http://archppc.kleiner-weise.de
ArchLinux/PPC
« on: November 07, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »
Hey Amiga enthusiasts!

About a year ago I started to port my favorite GNU/Linux distribution Archlinux to the PowerPC architecture, meaning only PowerMacs. Oldworld as well as Newworl can be powered by the system right now. I do intent to entend the horizon though by adding support ot more PowerPC based systems such as RS/6000, some IBM machines and - of course - Amiga One systems and the like. As I do not have access to anything else than Old- and Newworld PowerMacs I'm quite limited to what I can do.

If someone in here is interested in helping out I'd be glad to hear from you. :-)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

kth5

Ps.: see profile for website or go to www.archlinux.org for the x86 branch (has more general information on Arch)

Re: ArchLinux/PPC
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 12:45:20 PM »

_kth5_ wrote:
Hey Amiga enthusiasts!

About a year ago I started to port my favorite GNU/Linux distribution Archlinux to the PowerPC architecture, meaning only PowerMacs. Oldworld as well as Newworl can be powered by the system right now. I do intent to entend the horizon though by adding support ot more PowerPC based systems such as RS/6000, some IBM machines and - of course - Amiga One systems and the like. As I do not have access to anything else than Old- and Newworld PowerMacs I'm quite limited to what I can do.

If someone in here is interested in helping out I'd be glad to hear from you. :-)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

kth5

Ps.: see profile for website or go to www.archlinux.org for the x86 branch (has more general information on Arch)

Well, AFAIK the Linux kernel has support for the Pegasos motherboards built in.

The AmigaOne boards need the kernel patching to be supported.

Offline _kth5_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _kth5_
    • http://archppc.kleiner-weise.de
Re: ArchLinux/PPC
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 12:49:47 PM »
Quote from: mdma
Well, AFAIK the Linux kernel has support for the Pegasos motherboards built in.

The AmigaOne boards need the kernel patching to be supported.

That the kernel isn't the only thing is pretty obvious I'd say. Mere compiling isn't any good either unless hardware is available to test the quite different boot methods on the misc. architectures, right?

As I do intend to have packages available in binary form for the regular user, these things need to be taken care of before the enduser needs to step up.