Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore without Mehdi Ali  (Read 15291 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Commodore without Mehdi Ali
« on: July 16, 2003, 07:01:36 PM »

zee4 wrote:
What is the likeliness of technologies like Zorro slots with only one company's research funding going to be able to match AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc?

Just a minnor point, but C= had already decided to switch to PCI instead of continuing the Zorro series by late 1993 (they announced this at the November WOC/WOA Toronto show that year).

I tend to agree with what I belive Dave H. had said, basically AAA was outdated by 1993 and it made sense to move to more standard parts (Hombrie was sort of its own thing and not designed to run AmigaOS). This was true of the original Amiga- they used off-the-shelf parts where those worked and designed custom parts where no suitable parts existed.

As far as x86, I think PPC ended up where it did because only Apple used it on the desktop, a few million PPCs (say in a A1200-type system) might have changed Mot's mind. Maybe IBM will save it yet if they get serious about PPCLinux- early signs are positive.

Zoltan

Yes, Dave Haynie stated that PCI was to be the new Amiga bus.

Also the Commodore-Amiga design team had already chosen HP's PA-150 as the next Amiga CPU (and I believe a second one as part of the chipset, for GFX...)

Without Mehdi Ali, Dave Haynie would have been promoted to president of Commodore... and I would be typing this on an Amiga  :-P

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:29:25 PM »

realstar wrote:
One important thing to consider is that
Commodore was moving towards an HP risc
solution using a new *nix based OS for
the Amiga line AFAIK.  Things would be
very different now if that had happend. ;)

They didn't really see any value in the OS or
how it functioned and just wanted to make the
next "console" computer like the C64->Amiga->?
in my opinion.

Commodore went from the C64 to the Amiga
without any thought as to what the users
might think of it and same would have
happend to the Amiga although the name would
have most likely been retained.  Much of the
development of Amiga is now in community led
efforts that would never have been possible in
the old Commodore days... :)

Yup, you've hit the nail on the head.

Commodore were not interested in the Amiga, it was simply their next product... it would have been cast aside just like the C64 was, as soon as the next gen machine was ready.

Oddly this makes perfect sense, but has one fatal flaw, the Next gen machine would have been too much like the Amiga for it to replace the Amiga...

From the C64 to the Amiga is a massive jump in the way computers work... the next gen machine would have just been faster, and a bit better.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 05:19:23 PM »

squiggs1982 wrote:
I still firmly believe that the best chance the Amiga had to survive would have been to have gone with the management buyout by Commodore UK, headed by that bearded David bloke (I forget his second name, Pleasance rings a bell?). Instead it went to Escom and right royally down the toilet. Just my two bobs worth tho!  :-)

Yup, had the UK deal gone through, The Amiga may well have survived, in a similar nicheto the Imac