Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most annoying Amiga game in the world.  (Read 8161 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
Re: Most annoying Amiga game in the world.
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:02 AM »
I really love pinball dreams.
Pinball illusions was in my opinion overrated though and i love both fantasies and slam tilt as well.. The problem i noticed with Pinball Illusions is that the flippers are very unresponsive for some reason as it lags a bit when you press the shift/alt keys and this never happened with the other 3 pinball games i mentioned.
Anyone else noticed this issue?

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 03:15:35 AM »
A joint award goes to all games that forced you to sacrifice sound-FX for a soundtrack. Or vice versa!

I think that was mostly due to the 4 channel audio limit on the classic Amiga. I dont see the problem as long as you have a choice.. For example i rather liked to listen to the mod tracks of games like lotus turbo, jaguar and similar.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 01:06:59 AM »
Odd that the 1988 Megadrive/Genesis had 10 channel audio and it was a 16-Bit 68000 machine and the 1992 Amiga-1200 had 4 channels and it was a 32-Bit 68020 machine...

Blame the idiots at Commodore. They mostly just milked the Amiga for all it was worth. The a1200 was released nearly 10 years after a1000, but still it was mostly the same design in a smaller package with only the ram, gfx and cpu being slightly upgraded. The a1000 was way ahead of its time, but the amiga was lagging behind in many areas when the a1200 came out because of lack of hardware developement, which is probably what lead to its death anyways.

I really wonder where the Amiga would have been today if a decent company had owned it instead of the incompetent company called Commodore.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 03:03:08 AM »
They kept the Amiga alive until production of a games console variety (the CD32). This was 1985 - 1994 = 9yrs?

Depends on what you mean by keeping it alive.. I really did not see them doing any developement at all, other than shrinking the a1000 to smaller form factor for the a500, a600 and such.. When the a3000 came out, the gfx chip wasnt even aga and the sound chip was still the same with 8bit sound and 4 channels while the pc was finally starting to get 16bit soundcards. Then once a4000 came out, it was actually kinda a step backwards since they cut the costs by dropping the superiour scsi interface in favor of ide and the aga gfx was a nice upgrade, but came far too late in reality. The even more odd part is that it lacked a cdrom, which was already common in the pc world...

The only reason why the Amiga lasted as long as it did, was because it was so ahead of its time when commodore bought it.
Commodore did have some nice enginers, but that dosent help when the management sucks.

Escom and Gateway 2000 didn't do a better job and both of them went down the pan.

Escom didnt really have the kind of budget that Commodore orginally had.. Gateway 2000 on the other hand had the money but only bought the Amiga for the name.  :-(

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:16:35 PM »
CBM was always badly managed. They were in financial problems since 70s and it didnt get better in 80s. They were lucky to survive to the 90s.

Quite funny isnt it? considering that the c64 was the best selling machine and still they were in financial troubles.. I think that says something about the management in that company.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »
Considering the era it was conceived and the fact I am using an AGA machine as my main computer is only testament to what a good bit of design it is.

Yeah, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the aga chipset and the a1200 was quite decent upgrade from the a500 in my opinion. My problem is that this upgrade came years to late and i think that has alot to do with amigas downfall.

The odd part like others mentioned is that they had infact developed upgraded chipsets and so on, but for some reason the management decided to not release them.